PDA

View Full Version : Remington Rolling Block in 7MM

McLintock
02-28-2010, 01:50 PM
Did the U.S. Military ever use the Rolling Block in 7MM in any capacity, I don't even know if they used Rolling Blocks in any caliber, so just asking. Don't have any books that are RB specific.
Thanks for any info you mgiht be able to give.
McLintock

pietro
02-28-2010, 04:29 PM
AFAIK, Remington made military 1902 Rolling Blocks in 7x57, but only for foreign government contracts - and, IIRC, the State of New York.

I remain ignorant, as to whether or not the US Military ever used them in any capacity.

madsenshooter
02-28-2010, 04:45 PM
There were a few Rolling Block military rifles made in 30/40, even fewer carbines. The New York state rolling blocks mentioned by pietro were 50/70. Those original 30/40 rifle and carbines are just loved by Remington collectors. I saw a rusty old carbine on gunbroker go for over $600, I'm sure the the seller was very surprised.

bob208
02-28-2010, 06:12 PM
there were also about 10,000 rolling blocks made for the army in 1872 in 50-70 they are stamped with springfeild. also the navy bought some and they were used by the marines in china.

dualsport
03-02-2010, 02:25 AM
I shot my '97 RB 7mm in a postal match a couple years ago, did pretty good with it. It surprised me, considering all I've read about the different chambers compared to SAAMI specs. Just fire formed, oriented and bingo. CBA antique military match shot at 200 yds.

Buckshot
03-02-2010, 03:32 AM
............The U.S. Navy did not accept the TD Springfield, and instead issued the Remington RB in 50-70. They saw action in Korea in the 1800's. I believe Springfield did make some RB's under liscense or with Remingtons okay as a manufacturing excersize and possibly troop testing.

The RB is what kept Remington alive from just after the Civil War to the turn of the century. Even then thier attractive price and simplicity still garnered quite a number of sales, and when you consider the rapidity the re-arming the major militarys were doing with repeaters, it's a testamony to the RB and it's design.

..............Buckshot

jh45gun
03-02-2010, 05:09 AM
What is even more interesting is that Remington made them in 8mm Lebel for the French for WW1 After I bought my 7mm which had a great action but the barrel was bad and I had it re- barreled to 45/70 I showed it to a guy who said I have one of them in my closet and am going to sell it. So I told a friend and he bought it for 250 bucks. It was a MINT Lebel one I wish I would have bought it after seeing it.

Multigunner
03-02-2010, 01:36 PM
The british Admiralty bought what are described as 7mm Remington single shot rifles for use by Navy sharpshooters, probably to blow up mines.
They withdrew the guns from service claiming a defect of the breech, but I belive the problem was with the ammunition they used, most likely Kynoch 7mm or .276 Rigby intended for bolt action mausers.

dualsport
03-02-2010, 03:17 PM
I have fired current production S&B 175 SPCE in my 7mm RB with no pressure signs. That's just my gun. I wouldn't make a habit of it, usually shoot mild handloads.

McLintock
03-03-2010, 02:47 PM
Thanks everyone for the replies, but it looks like a negative on the 7MM and U.S. Military. Reason I was asking was for use in some Cowboy Long Range matches for service rifles, which must be U.S. made and used, plus pre 1899. The Krag is probably the best choice, but they're getting kind of expensive these days. Just thought a 7MM Roller might do the trick.
McLintock

dualsport
03-03-2010, 10:28 PM
I tried shooting my '97 RB 7mm in a cowboy match years ago, it wasn't allowed. Had to shoot the long range with my Marlin .44, still got third. I woulda cleaned house with that RB.

georgewxxx
03-06-2010, 01:59 PM
http://www.sodcity.com/gallery2/view_photo.php?set_albumName=Cartridge-Springfield-pictures&id=rolling_block