PDA

View Full Version : turkey bastor

bigboredad
02-27-2010, 03:35 PM
I've been pan lubing for about the last six months. I have always used a turkey baster to get the lube from the melting pan to the lubing pan. Just curious how everybody else does it and if there is a easier way

markinalpine
02-27-2010, 04:23 PM
I found a hot-pot water boiler at the thrift store, looked unused. It is 1000 watts and has a thermostat. On it's highest setting it will boil a quart of water in about 4 minutes, but I've used it at much lower setting, about 1/2, to gently melt and mix waxes for boolit lube. Then just pour the lube from the spout. It also has a close fittling liid that keeps the lube dust free between uses. I've only used it for the initial mixing of the lube, and to reheat lube to refill my lube-sizer, but it would work for pan lubing too.
Mark :coffeecom

Lead Fred
02-27-2010, 05:12 PM
Wife still wants her turkey baster back

She said I have to get her a new one by Thanksgiving

It works great for delivering the molten wax to where it needs to be

Recluse
02-28-2010, 12:58 AM
I have always used a turkey baster to get the lube from the melting pan to the lubing pan. Just curious how everybody else does it and if there is a easier way

I usually get the voodoo priestess to pour the molten pain-lubing sacrificial concoction directly from the Bacardi rum glass she drinks from during the initial Heating, Cleansing and Purifying of the Lube ceremony.

She pours this concoction directly into the pan where the purified boolits are perched, but only after the sacrificed chicken has been duly offered at the altar and she has smoked her Dominican Republic cigar down far enough to flick some ashes all around the darkened, incense-filled Lubing Room.

While the molten concoction is cooling and setting up, we trade cigars and begin chanting to the Gods of Galena, asking for their Blessing that the lube shall be firm and that it shall stick in the lube grooves.

Then, the priestess throws a few hands of chicken bones around, reads them, then declares whether or not she needs more Bacardi rum in order to make the ceremony a success so that my boolits will shoot true and consistent.

Once the chicken bones are read, the priestess and I dance hand in hand around the pan of boolits where the molten concoction is drying. We blow Dominican cigar smoke at the boolits to help appease the Gods of Galena whose spirits are still lingering in the boolits, but being transferred into the lubricating concoction.

One final belt of Bacardi followed by a long drag on the Dominican cigar and a gutteral spitting of the rum and smoke at the boolits, followed by an ear-splitting shriek and the priestess falling to the floor speaking in tongues concludes the session of pain-lubing.

That's how *I* do it. Not sure how the rest of you get the molten lube in and make it stick.

:coffee:

bigboredad
02-28-2010, 11:52 AM
[smilie=s:Recluse
wow thanks no wonder my lube isn't working thanks a ton for the tips that was what I needed. that even made me thi Ill tempered Utahn laugh this morning

Recluse
02-28-2010, 12:12 PM
[smilie=s:Recluse
wow thanks no wonder my lube isn't working thanks a ton for the tips that was what I needed. that even made me thi Ill tempered Utahn laugh this morning

Glad to help.

Me and pain-lubing get along about like me and rabid Obama supporters. On those rare occasions I decide to pain-lube, I resort to the darker side of this hobby. There's still a lot of unexplained mysticism to be learned when it comes to casting and lubing boolits. . .

I'm just glad I talked the priestess into switching from Cuban cigars to Dominican. One of these days, I was gonna get busted for smuggling in that Havana tobacco.

Hasn't seemed to affect the boolits one way or another, oddly enough.

:coffee:

mdi
02-28-2010, 12:51 PM
I heat the lube and boolits together in the oven. I chunk up the lube and put it in a pan with the boolits standing on their base. When the lube melts I adjust the depth, add or take out lube, to come up to the correct height. I heat in a 175 degree oven for about 15 minutes to get the boolits and lube the same temp so the lube sticks to the boolits better. Then remove from oven and cool and either punch or cut the boolits out of the lube and set new boolits in the holes left and do it all over again...

geargnasher
02-28-2010, 11:13 PM
LMAO, Recluse, sounds like you got into the Barardi a little bit too much just before posting that!

I hear someone here, a moderator IIRC, is reported to do his casting wearing nothing but a ritual speedo and his Bullwinkle antler hat. Apparently Mother Galena prefers humility and a good sense of humour.

Gear

Taylor
03-01-2010, 08:04 AM
Pain Lubing,excellent way of thinking.Good description of the process.I don't do it much,but enough to know that I don't care for it.I guess I need to sell something to buy another lubesizer.

outdoorfan
03-01-2010, 10:42 AM
"Pain-lubing"!! Yep, that's what drove me to the Star after only 3-4 months of agony!

bigboredad
03-01-2010, 09:39 PM
well pain lubing or not I have more time than money and it allows me to shoot so I would have to say pain lubing is worth the effort. maybe someday I'll be able to buy a star or even a second hand 450. Until then me and a turkey baster will have to be buddies