PDA

View Full Version : Goex 45-2.7/8?

LIMPINGJ
02-27-2010, 11:46 AM
I am down to the last of a lot Goex Cart. that has worked great in my Shiloh 45-2.7/8. Most post I see all seem to be using Goex Express F or Swiss F in this cartridge. Since I use this rifle only for hunting, no long range target work like most of the people posting their loads. My question is the price for the Goex Express F over the regular grade Goex F worth it in hunting use? The place where I usuall buy my powder is around $5.00 per lb less for the regular Goex. Does about 1/3 more in price seem worth it for Hunting use?

Boz330
02-27-2010, 12:33 PM
I am down to the last of a lot Goex Cart. that has worked great in my Shiloh 45-2.7/8. Most post I see all seem to be using Goex Express F or Swiss F in this cartridge. Since I use this rifle only for hunting, no long range target work like most of the people posting their loads. My question is the price for the Goex Express F over the regular grade Goex F worth it in hunting use? The place where I usuall buy my powder is around $5.00 per lb less for the regular Goex. Does about 1/3 more in price seem worth it for Hunting use?

NO! Even if you are going shoot at fairly long distances I can't see that it will help enough to make it worth while, UNLESS you are shooting prairie dogs at 200 to 300yd.:mrgreen:

Bob

cajun shooter
02-27-2010, 01:16 PM
I find that the Goex Cartridge does a great job and I only pay another $1 a pound for it. I shot some rounds with Swiss 11/2 and compared them to the cartridge loaded rounds in both 45-70 and 44-40 Not that much difference at 200 yds which was my decided testing distance. The groups loaded with Swiss were muich tighter but the Goex Cartridge loads would have hit in the same area.

218bee
02-27-2010, 05:57 PM
I guess the best in my opinion would be to buy only a pound of each and shoot and see what it does for you in your rifle. Then you can decide if there is enough or any difference to be worth it or not.....heck experimenting is what its all about.

RMulhern
02-27-2010, 06:06 PM
Regular Goex 1F will work just fine for what you want to do!! I doubt that most folks.....can outshoot it!!

NickSS
02-28-2010, 03:30 AM
I have tried various premium powders like Swiss 1.5 F, Goex Express, and etc. However, for my shooting ability I see no real difference in group size. About the only difference I see is that the premium stuff burns a little cleaner and may with a better shooter give better accuracy. However, no mater what I try my groups stay about the same at roughly 1.5 MOA out to 600 yards so I buy cheaper powder and use the blow tube a bit more. Oh the premium powder is a bit more consistent lot to lot but as I go through about a case of powder a year It is no big deal to work up a new load every 12 months.

GuzziRider
02-28-2010, 09:46 AM
I have done a lot of experimenting with my 45 2-7/8 over the twenty years I have had it and Goex F is my powder of choice still for both hunting and target work. I long ago went to Swiss in my 45-70 and 40-70 target guns.

LIMPINGJ
02-28-2010, 07:11 PM
Thanks for the replies, Fg it is.