PDA

View Full Version : casting 348 bullets

bigbear
02-27-2010, 10:19 AM
I want to try casting bullets for my Win 71. I have molds (several in fact). It seems to me the cheapest simplest way to get going would be to buy a Lee push bullet sizer and one or two Lee custom sizers (eg. .348 and .349). I don't plan on casting any other calibre,got too much shooting to do:p
Does this sound reasonable? I like shooting more than I like fussing around making ammo and this seems simpler/cheaper than the whole Lyman/RCBS lubrisizer business.

451whitworth
02-27-2010, 12:09 PM
i like .350" in my M71's either Winchester or Browning. also a neck expander/case mouth flare die is a nice addition. i don't use Lee equipment so i can't comment on that.

Le Loup Solitaire
02-27-2010, 01:44 PM
I use Lyman mold # 350482, a 250 grain roundnose and size it to.349. .350 would be ok too. I use a Saeco Lubrisizer, but the Lee method of push through would work just as well. 348's need a gas check on them especially if traveling at 1500-1600fps+. Crimp only what you need to get the job done as brass is pretty expensive and you want what you have to last as long as possible. You might have to anneal cases to trolong their life. LLS

beagle
02-27-2010, 02:44 PM
Lyman has made several nice moulds in the past for the .348 and they work well. I'll second (or third) the .350" sizer. Lee will make you a custom sizer but I don't beleive that size is stock. .348 GCs are fairly hard to come by but you can find them. Pan lubing and a Lee push through sizer will work very well for your needs.

Again, anealing the case necks is a good idea as much of the older brass available is becoming brittle. I picked up about a hundred rounds a while back and anealed it and had no problems with it.

The .348s a great cast caliber and I enjoy shooting my Browning./beagle