PDA

View Full Version : agi and sonoran learning info

billy2147
02-27-2010, 10:11 AM
i would like to learn gunsmithing does anyone know about agi or sonoran learning center programs?ihave looked at agi but it seems expencive. is it worth the money

Charlie Sometimes
02-28-2010, 10:35 PM
Welcome to the web site! This is one of the best places to gain knowledge on the various aspects of boolit casting and firearms on the planet!

Someone asked this same question a month or two ago- about AGI. I get their catalogs and such, have bought a few DVD's, too. Mostly it seems like very good info- best I've seen for what is out there. You might search for other threads on the topic to see.
I've heard from a few locals that Foley Bell Saw gunsmith course is a waste of time, and I would venture to say that most of the "learn gunsmithing at home correspondence courses" are similar. At least with AGI you get a DVD that can be reviewed as much as needed, and Bob Dunlap is one of the best.

I have fooled with guns most all of my life, and I think I have an above average knowledge of firearms operation and repair. In the videos that I have purchased (topic areas where I needed enhanced skills/knowledge- spring making, case hardening, etc.) they did help me with what I had been missing. So I think they fill in where experience could not be gained otherwise, if you have an aptitude for such.

I would like to be able to afford to enroll/purchase one of the larger courses just to see if they are what AGI says they are- but alas, I work for a living. If I can get ahead sometime soon, I might take advantage of one of their sales. There are certain times of the year that you can get a decent discount and better deals from AGI on the packages (i.e.- Christmas is a good one).

billy2147
03-01-2010, 10:31 PM
hey thanks from a fellow WV Mountaineer agi seems to be pretty detailed from what i can see but i also have that work problem

andremajic
03-20-2010, 10:44 AM
Just an FYI you can rent almost all of the AGI videos from www.smartflix.com for cheap.

my .03 adjusted for inflation.

hunter64
03-21-2010, 04:43 PM
I had a correspondence course given to me about 20 years ago and it was mediocre at best. At that time there was no vhs or DVD's that came with the course so it was all book. Kind of like getting an Chilton's automotive book, reading it and saying you are now a mechanic.

The AGI dvd's range from poor to good, some are much better than others depending on the guy running the camera mostly. Some of them I swear my 8 year old daughter could film better. On the Mossberg 500, the guy grabs a part and shoves it up into the receiver and states that it is now in proper alignment, I swear the camera was 20 feet from the bench and in no way could one hope to understand what he was just doing.

As far as Bob Dunlap goes he has the knowledge but can put you to sleep in under 10 minutes. As long as you realize that watching him is like watching Ben Stein (teacher) from Ferris Bueller's Day off , have a good nights sleep and drink two cups of coffee first before watching any of his DVD's. The DVD's on springs and heat treating are great.

I was in Las Vegas recently and bought 45 gunsmithing/hunting DVD's at a pawn shop for 150.00. There is a set from Wilson Combat on the 1911 and it comes on a 4 dvd set and it is excellent (made in the 80's or early 90's and converted to DVD) a sharp contract from enduring Bob's work, so there are some really good dvd's out there.

Guess what I am saying is an correspondence course will in no way make you even close to a qualified gunsmith, more of a home repairer at best and with the DVD's at least you can see somewhat how it all goes together.