PDA

View Full Version : What to Look for?

lead4me
02-26-2010, 11:17 PM
I just received my order from Graf & Sons, Inc. today & am going to start working up loads for my 1911 .45 and I want to know what do you guys look for in a load? Is accuracy #1 or is their something else that is more important?
I now have (Thanks to MTGUN44) Clays, Universal Clays, Titegroup & Unique and a can of 2400 for the .44mag. How do you guys go about the process? Do you for example load X amount at 3.5/3.6/3.7 working up to max then go and shoot. Keep detailed records of each load. Do you sort your brass for practice loads or just for say competition.
Just wondering what the process is & what you find important to do. I know this is a greenie question but......I'm a greenie!!!

MT Gianni
02-26-2010, 11:31 PM
If a manual gives a start load as 14 gr and goes to 20 gr I go by 2 gr incriments until the accuracy opens up. I then work with 1/2-1 gr in between. If 4 gr is the start load and 7.5 the max, I go up to 5 then 5.5, 6, 6.5, 7.0 etc.
I keep records of each range trip. I look at online manuals, search the cartridge here and my 7-10 paper manuals for acceptable powders for a new cartridge. I look for others in that burn rate that I may have by 2-3 burn rate charts.
I don't sort brass for some cartridges and do for others, it depends on what I want it to do. If I was to sort it for competition I certainly would sort it to develop a load to keep accuracy in the same plane for competition.

crabo
02-27-2010, 01:19 PM
In an auto, I want to make sure the gun will function and feed reliably first, with accuracy second. You don't buy an auto to have a single shot.

Storydude
02-27-2010, 02:16 PM
200G in 45 plinking I use 4.5G unique.
200G HP for hunting/blasting, I use 5.5-6G unique(WARNING..6G UNIQUE IS BEYOND MAX PUBLISHED LOAD>>USE AT OWN RISK)

I find that 5.5G unique usually gives enough velocity to do the job, with acceptable accuracy(it's not a bench rest rifle..it's a USGI 1911. 5" group @25 yds is great.)

Casting Timmy
02-27-2010, 02:55 PM
I would load a few rounds with the starting grains of each powder. See what you think of each powder and then decide which one feels the best or most comfortable for shooting. Then work up this powder or just keep shooting it.

I've tried Titegroup, and for me I really don't like it, not in a auto or a pistol.