PDA

View Full Version : Hybrid bullets- pistol bullets- .223 cases.

Bwana
02-26-2010, 04:05 PM
This follows on the 9mm and 380 case Hybrid threads.
To use .223 cases you will need to cut the case down. The method I use is screwing a 9mm seater die upside into the press so the opening is facing up. I then adjust the seater stem so that when the base of the .223 case is inserted into the die I can us a small triangular file to cut a little notch into the case at a point a little longer than the desired final length.
I then use that notch to index my tubing cutter and cut it off (save the top piece for future projects). I am attaching pictures about this process below. My vise-locks that I use have a nut on the adjusting rod so that it can be set to clamp exactly on the case.
I then use my case trimmer, modified to be powered by a drill, to trim to desired length. Remember they will end up about .020" longer in finshed form.
Then chamfer and deburr.
Now you have what would normally be a stock case. It should have been cleaned before you started the cutting process.
It WILL need to be six pointed as it is very thick. About .020" more than dia is enough.
Anneal. About 40 cases on burner for 7 min. Cool.
Lube.
Treat it now as you would the 380 cases.
You may need to use a 22 jet die to form nose because the case may not be long enough depending how long you want it to be or use a longer push rod.

kawalekm
02-28-2010, 12:06 AM
Nice shortcut! Don't throw your cut off shoulders away because you can use them to make a second bullet. Just cut off the neck and invert the brass so the shoulder becomes the base of the bullet.
http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r55/kawalekm/223caseto357jackets.jpg

uncleskippy
02-28-2010, 12:35 AM
Kawalekm,

What is the best way to invert the brass on the shoulder part of the brass?

Thanks

BT Sniper
02-28-2010, 12:39 AM
+1 on what kawalekm said. It makes a great jacket for a bullet.

kawalekm
02-28-2010, 12:01 PM
What is the best way to invert the brass on the shoulder part of the brass?
Thanks
The diameter of the brass near the shoulder is about .354", so nothing special has to be done to it. Simply cut off the neck right at the beginning of the shoulder, flip it over and drop in your lead core. Since the brass is already folded inwards, the bottom punch simply flattens the base out first before the bullet swages into its final shape.

uncleskippy
02-28-2010, 12:21 PM
Thanks. That's what I thought but I was just checking.