PDA

View Full Version : Hybrid bullets- pistol bullets-9mm case.

Bwana
02-26-2010, 03:00 PM
I am not going to post pictures of the various tools as they are mentioned in other Hybrid threads. That said, I will answer any questions you might have to clarify the processes.
I make pistol (light rifle?) bullets out of 9mm and .380 and .223 cases. The one thing that needs to be stated is that the base needs to be perpendicular to the long axis of the bullet. On 9mm sized base cases, 9mm, 9mm Largo, 7.62X25, etc., this is maintained while sizing it down by using the Lee 9mm steel taper crimp die. This is not as difficult with the 380 and .223 cases and yet they still need to be initially base sized in dies that allow them to center before sizing takes place. I do this in the seater die (not Lee) of a two die set.
The following is for 9mm to 357mag bullet:
1) Clean and size withoout depriming to insure uniformity.
2) If you wish, six point to .395 OD on the point tips.
2a) If you six pointed, resize to bring points back in. (six pointing stresses the case mouth so it will form the six petals when expanding. See pictures below)
3) Anneal. Seven minutes for burners full of cases. Cool.
4) Clean off any loose debris from the annealing with towel.
5) Lube cases.
6) Size base first in Lee 9mm taper crimp die. Knock out.
7) Depending on if you want the body of the bullet at the nose taper junction to be either .350 or full dia (356,357,358,359) you will use the 223 sizer for the smaller dia and the 223 seater die for the larger. Using the lee 35 cal bullet size die push rod to push the case mouth first into the die until you get the opening size you want. It won't be much smaller than .260". Knock out
8) Size the case in the Lee bullet size push through die figuring about .001" of spring back. (so 357 would end up about .358. though it could be a little larger).
9) Fill with lead as explained in Hybrid 7.62X25 thread.
I will post 380 and 223 cases in follow on threads.