PDA

View Full Version : 7383 and 4895 loads....

41mag
02-26-2010, 06:31 AM
A while back I had gone through most of my inventory of bullets, and found that I had a large number of various brands in 150gr jacketed. This really came as no surprise since they have been around here as long as I can remember my pop shooting them in his '06's. Coupled with myself catching them here and there on close-out's and such.

Since I shoot very informal target practice, and feral hogs quite a bit through the year, I figured to use some of the cheaper powder to load up a bunch of the bullets in some medium velocity loads with some of the older cases I have and just have them on hand specifically for this type of shooting. As such I purchased a jug each of the 7383, and the 4895 that Bartlett had sometime year before last. As things have a way of doing, I have just not had time to get around to messing with anything until now.

I have read about the 7383 being peaky, and that loads should not be compressed but they should fill the case to the bottom of the bullets. This is easily enough done. As for the 4895, I spoke to Jeff about it, and he said to start loading around the same data as 4064. For the most part however all of the post which show promise initially seem to end with," so far looks good, will post back up with more details" after which nothing else is mentioned.

I was wandering if I could get any input on these two powders and loads particularly for the .308 and '06, using a 150gr - 165gr J-bullets?

As mentioned I am not at all concerned with hitting top end velocities with either. I am simply looking for something in the mid ranges that might be adjustable enough to hit somewhere around 2" or less at 100yds as this is more than adequate for hog patrol and keeping the trigger finger tuned up. I also prefer not to blow any primers, if at all possible.

Any little tid bits, like using a drop tube, vibrating the case tray, watch for this or that, would be highly appreciated. I do plan on working the load up for the specific rifles, but the initial load testing will be done in the field, after some initial weighing and dummy round stuff at the house. I generally spend the weekend at our place in the country fiddling with a couple of rifles and once the load is set, I come home and load up how ever many will be for that load. Since it's a 3 hour drive and space is limited to what I carry, I usually only have the basics along for the ride. I do have a chrony and can make room for additional small items if needed.

These are the lot numbers if that helps as I know that this does matter from time to time, especially with the pull down and surplus stuff.

7383 - Lot# 47 ; 4895 - Lot# 1-02

One other thing I have done, I pulled quite a bit of load data into a database of different calibers which might could use these powders according to the recommended canister powder start data. I know that this is somewhat a very vague cross over but any calibers other than these that you might have had good or bad experiences with wold also be appreciated. Of main interest other than the previous mentioned are, .223, 30-30, 270, 280, 7mag. The first 2 are used in AI versions in a Contender and all would be J-bullets.

Thanks, and looking forward to hearing from you folks.

Sur5er
02-26-2010, 11:40 PM
My only experience is with 7383 and 300 Win Mag, but the following may help:

Seat your bullets so they are approx .020" from the rifling. I've found that even the heaviest crimp isn't enough with this powder. Use regular LR primers. In the 300 Win, the best velocity and accuracy correspond to the least fouling and least ammonia smell. I'm loading 73gr of 7383 under a 190gr BTSP and using Mag Primers and getting 3050 FPS. During the work-up I found a range between 71-75gr with 75 giving me increased resistance on extraction with no increase in velocity and 71gr running about 2800 FPS.

Dick

SHOULD READ LR primers, not Mag for the 190BTSP load.

hamour
02-27-2010, 10:20 AM
I do not have any input for the 7383 powder.

The Jeff Bartlett 4895 - 4064 powder is very good powder indeed. It is surplus so load data is not specific so I strongly recomend start low andd work up.

I bought this powder to go in my Garands, so my loads reflect this.

150gr bullets-49grs-CCI LR-Assorted cases

165gr bullets-48.5grs-CCI LR-Assorted cases

180gr bullets-48grs CCI LR-Assorted cases

Bolt guns could go higher on load, but these work well in any of my 30-06's

In my M1A, I use 45grs with a 165gr bullet, WW cases, CCI LR. Some more recent books have this as above max, my older books call it max. My M1A likes it and shows no high pressure signs.

I can confirm this powder acts more like 4064 than 4895. It is great and I have 4 jugs of it.

PS: I am doing the same as you since all the bullet prices have gone up, shooting my odds and ends. I found 500 Speer 150 gr 30 cal round noses bought at $4 / 100 in my bullet locker. Had forgot all about them. They are killing deer very well thank you.

Jim
02-27-2010, 10:54 AM
There's tons of posts on 7383. A quick search will give you lots of data and load work-up suggestions.
Yes, it is a quirky powder. However, it has been successfully used in calibers as small as .223 and calibers as large, to my knowledge, as .458 Win. Mag.

sundog
02-27-2010, 11:37 AM
I agree, do a search, there is info to fit a volume or more.

wiljen
02-28-2010, 02:54 PM
I have enjoyed 7383 in the 06 using full case (51gr) with a 147gr FMJ in my Garand (Adjustable gas plug) and it gives about 2500fps and is very consistent.