PDA

View Full Version : Lyman mold handles

DeadWood
02-26-2010, 03:35 AM
Just picked up a double cavity Lyman mold and was curious if a 1 cavity handles will fit a 2 cavity mold? I thought they were the same...

Shiloh
02-26-2010, 07:10 AM
I think it will, but don't know for sure. I have purchased used Lyman handles, and the smaller ones were all the same. I only have two cavity Lyman molds. One thing for sure is that LEE six cavity mold handles will fit at about 1/3 the cost.

SHiloh

jimkim
02-26-2010, 08:15 AM
Just picked up a double cavity Lyman mold and was curious if a 1 cavity handles will fit a 2 cavity mold? I thought they were the same...

Mine didn't until I modified them, now they even fit my RCBS moulds.

DeadWood
02-26-2010, 12:02 PM
I think it will, but don't know for sure. I have purchased used Lyman handles, and the smaller ones were all the same. I only have two cavity Lyman molds. One thing for sure is that LEE six cavity mold handles will fit at about 1/3 the cost.

SHiloh

thats why i ask the experts :-P
thank you SHiloh

Echo
02-26-2010, 12:48 PM
Single cavity Lyman handles will not fit DC molds without modification. DC Lyman handles will fit both SC and DC molds. Usually. >Older< Lyman DC handles might not fit modern Lyman DC molds, IME.

DeadWood
02-26-2010, 01:07 PM
guess i'll play it safe and look for 2C lyman handles or go with the LEE handles

Does everyone have a set of handles for each mold or do you try and swap handles between molds if they fit?

zipdog
03-03-2010, 10:05 AM
One thing for sure is that LEE six cavity mold handles will fit at about 1/3 the cost. SHiloh

Ditto on that! I recently broke the cast tang on an old style Lyman single cavity handle when I missed the sprue cutter and hit the tang with my WOODEN mallet. Lyman declined to make good on it, so I bought my first pair of Lee handles. I can't believe Lyman charges what they do for their **** when these steel handles are far superior.

Echo
03-03-2010, 10:36 AM
guess i'll play it safe and look for 2C lyman handles or go with the LEE handles

Does everyone have a set of handles for each mold or do you try and swap handles between molds if they fit?

I try to have a set of handles for each set of molds. Can get spendy, tho - but not that much.

Dale53
03-03-2010, 11:29 AM
I would prefer to have a mould handle for each mould. However, I have near seventy moulds and that would be a bit excessive (and costly). Further, they take three times the storage space with handles.

So, like many things in life, I compromise and have several sets of handles but not one for each.

YMMV
Dale53