PDA

View Full Version : WW Yield

Denver
06-20-2006, 08:13 PM
In the FWIW department. Today I rendered down all the wheel weights I'd gathered over the past month and got 211 Lbs of lead. I saved all the junk, dirt, and clips in a separate bucket that weighed 34 lbs. If my math is correct, that comes out to a little over 16%. I've always figured about 20%, so there ya go.

:castmine:

ANeat
06-20-2006, 08:26 PM
Thats interesting, I did 2, 5 gallon buckets of WW today. They were about 150lbs each so 300lbs total. I ended up with 250lbs of lead which is just a little over 16% of clips/etc. Seems like it works out pretty consistent.

Ive always been a little leary watching my temps being on the lookout for Zinc WW. I hadnt caome across one yet but I was doing my thing today, temp was about 675 and I was skimming off clips and there it was, my first Zinc WW floating there as pretty as ya please:roll:

Adam

johnho
06-20-2006, 10:07 PM
The last batch I cleaned up I got about 25% scrap. Interesting. Maybe there is more crap in some parts of the county. I'm in South Florida.

Vegas Vince
06-21-2006, 12:16 AM
If I buy ww at the scrap yard and get 16% to 18% clips (depends on the size of WW) and if I get ww from tire stores I have been getting 20% to 25% scrap ( alot more lug nuts, bolts and junk) Regardless I sell it all back to the scrap yard.

Vince

454PB
06-21-2006, 12:17 AM
I think it depends on whether the WW came off big trucks, or little beeps. I recently came across a can than was all the 6" long 4 to 5 ounce truck weights. Other cans have the little .75 ounce ones. Seems logical that the 5 ouncers have a smaller percentage of metal clip than the 1 ouncers.

smokemjoe
07-12-2006, 09:23 PM
I got 5 -1 gallon jugs of 3/4 oz. WWs from a fellow, I got about 60 % lead from the melt, I had about 30 lbs. of clips and took them to the junk yard to give them to get rid of free, But they put them on the scale and there was 31 lbs. and they gave me $11.00 cash

Junior1942
07-13-2006, 07:10 AM
On Monday I bought 12 lbs, 4 oz, (196 oz) of wheelweights for $1. Yesterday morning I made 10 lbs, 9 oz (169 oz) of ingots from them. So my return was 86% or 14% clips and trash.

Denver
07-13-2006, 09:59 AM
I got 5 -1 gallon jugs of 3/4 oz. WWs from a fellow, I got about 60 % lead from the melt, I had about 30 lbs. of clips and took them to the junk yard to give them to get rid of free, But they put them on the scale and there was 31 lbs. and they gave me $11.00 cash

That figures out to over 35 cents per pound and over $700 per ton. Where is this place? I'm goin' into the salvage business.

:castmine: :Fire:

wcb_gabe
07-17-2006, 01:25 PM
Heres some numbers off the last few batches of wheel weights I've done.
350 lbs - 50 lbs waste = 14.3%
366 lbs - 57 lbs waste = 15.6%
362 lbs - 54 lbs waste = 14.9%
348 lbs - 51 lbs waste = 14.7%
Wheel weight waste seems to be pretty consistant.
Best Regards

georgeld
07-28-2006, 12:09 AM
You can't buy, or beg ww around here.

Someone has put together a WW recycling route and trade's for credit on his new ww's for the scrap. That's why I went to the indoor pistol range and got the bullet scrap. He even has the scrap yards sewed up.

I've never tried to even guess the yield. But, a five gallon bucket level full will produce 110-125# of ingots. I keep the jackets clean from melt mixed in and sell it back as brass scrap. last bucket full paid me $48, one before was $38 but wasn't quite as full.

Until I learned to keep the melt and floaters out of it, they wouldn't even let me dump it in the steel pile they wallowed around in the mud holes!

The range has discovered this and the scrap yard bought about 5000# of bullet scrap for some over $700, the range idiots thought that was just great.

Hell, the scrap yard saw all that free brass and bought it all for junk lead price, then melted it down in their big cooker and made a hell of a profit on the deal I'm sure.

Am glad I got all I can ever use already. Shucks, they've turned CS's and even suspended me ten days because I picked thru the scrap brass for a hundred or so to reload like it used to be. When I belonged a few yrs ago they kept barrels full for us to pick thru for reloadable cases. Never posted or said a thing about picking up empties was: "theft from the range". Criminy!!!

Haven't been back and not going to rejoin til this board has changed. Anyone else ever get caught up in a rotten deal like that??

George

Possum
07-29-2006, 08:00 PM
So are you guys saying I can sell my clips back to the salvage yard and get cash? I hadn't thought about it, but I am sitting with a couple trash cans full of clips wondering when I am going to get rid of them.

keeper89
07-30-2006, 07:34 AM
George, I'd have to say that your former club would rather have less members than they do--but if they think that scrap is worth more than memberships maybe they should stop to think--the fewer the members the less scrap there will be! Bottom line I think you are probably better off without them so long as they have that attitude. Just my .02. Good luck and good shooting.....[smilie=1:

georgeld
08-15-2006, 02:44 AM
About 5-6 yrs ago I belonged to this club and got tired of the politics and quit. Three yrs later they replaced the a/ho pres, he was off the board. So, as this new girl friend likes to shoot so much we rejoined last fall. Next thing happens I missed a few months from back surgery. While I was out, the pres got cancer and died, damned if they didn't put that same ******* back on as pres again.

No signs, no notice, nothing in the rules about picking brass to reload. So I got a half a can full. Hell, even picked an empty coffee can out of the trash and they named that as theft too!

Like I said, that ten day suspension was back in March and I haven't been back and don't intend to.

The first time I was there, they had about 400 members, when Bill was in two yrs only 83 had renewed, I wasn't one of them.

I even made a sorting can for them the first trip. Sweep the floor, dump it all in the can w/screen, shake, powder drops thru, pick out the trash and sort the brass. Works swell long as they emptied the unburnt powder every night or two.

Two yrs after I left, damned if they didn't burn the building down with hot sparks from grinding on something getting into the unemptied can of powder. hehehe!

But, NRA's insurance paid out nearly 1/4 mil to rebuild the place. Quite nice now, but, same turds running it I learned. What a F shame!

Rifle club isn't half as old, run by the rules by a good honest board and they're up to 1000 members. Just goes to show if it's operated right, there's enough shooters around the area that will join.