PDA

View Full Version : m1 garand

lonewelder
02-26-2010, 01:41 AM
just got a garand and it won't eject en-bloc.no ping!

Rock
02-26-2010, 02:07 AM
Did you load a full enbloc, fire all 8 shots?

Or did you try and test it at home without firing?

lonewelder
02-26-2010, 02:21 AM
shot 3 full 8rd clips.same thing every time.could it have been modified to not throw em.mabye for bench shooting?

Rock
02-26-2010, 02:30 AM
I suspect a faulty or incorrectly installed part, not a bench modification. I think you would get a really quick and knowledgeable answer over at the CMP forums, there are many very helpful M1 collectors over there: http://www.thecmp.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=77

lonewelder
02-26-2010, 02:34 AM
thank you very much

Lead Fred
02-26-2010, 05:07 AM
Or it may have an Halbrook device installed

Mkae sure all the parts look like this

http://www.civilianmarksmanship.com/stripandassemblyimages/groupfeed.jpg

The part to the right of the pin at the bottom is the accelerator

It makes the ejector work. If the arm is worn or broke off, it wont work right

Less I forget, a Holbrock device is designed to allow you to single feed round in, and the enbloc not to come out, until you hit the lever on the left side.

DWM
02-26-2010, 05:55 AM
Hi Could be a ejector clip broken??

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Detail.aspx?pid=407980&catid=11884

Daniel

smokemjoe
02-26-2010, 09:03 AM
Removed ,Made a statment that was wrong.

Lead Fred
02-26-2010, 01:49 PM

Daniel

Then my next question would be. Can he still use the side button to remove the enbloc.

dominicfortune00
02-26-2010, 07:52 PM
Well, in his second post in this thread he says he shot 3 full 8 round enbloc clips; so that sounds like a yes.

lonewelder
02-26-2010, 08:38 PM
All the parts look good to me.Maybe I should give details of what its doing.After the 8th round the bolt locks back and nothing happens.I can then turn the rifle upside down and the clip falls out.I was using a light load,but it cycled fine and the bolt locked back fine

OBXPilgrim
02-26-2010, 09:45 PM

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Detail.aspx?pid=407980&catid=11884

Daniel

+1 what Daniel said.

Sounds like that's your problem

fishhawk
02-26-2010, 09:51 PM
i'm wondering if it's put together right. seems i remember haveing a problem like that with mine a loooooong time ago and i had screwd up putting it together one time. steve k

hamour
02-26-2010, 09:59 PM
Sounds like to me you need to order another M1 from CMP! That will fix the problem!

lonewelder
02-26-2010, 10:01 PM
One or two more would be great!

Lead Fred
02-26-2010, 10:36 PM
Unlike women, M1s you can never have too many

Sounds like the ejector clip as stated above

lonewelder
02-26-2010, 10:58 PM
I'm not going to worry about it for now.I't functions,and I don't have to chase clips!I will look in to the ejecter clip latter.Thanks everybody for your knowledege and help.

zomby woof
02-27-2010, 08:48 AM
Failure to eject cartridge clip.

• Clip ejector worn, weak, or broken. • Replace.

• Op rod catch deformed or broken. • Replace op rod catch.

mroliver77
02-28-2010, 09:09 AM
Lonewelder,
its an easy fix. Just do it! Go to CMP website and they have teardown of rifle online. Clips dont fly as far as brass when working properly. Part the ejects clip is called the "clip ejector spring".
http://www.civilianmarksmanship.com/detailstrip.html

Jay

leadman
03-01-2010, 01:03 AM
Yeah, my clips usually end up on top of my hat!! Better then in my face I guess.

sqlbullet
03-01-2010, 04:25 PM
On the front of the trigger assembly above the magazine floor plate, a small arm stick out. This is the clip ejector spring. Check it. Sounds like it needs replaced.

http://www.fellingfamily.net/garand/image/244_trigger_sa.JPG

You can also function check the clip release mechanism:

Remove the trigger group by pulling back and up on the rear of the trigger guard to release, swinging the trigger guard up, and pulling the trigger group from the gun.

Remove the stock.

Remove follower rod and op spring.

Press down on the front of the operating rod catch. You should see the clip latch move with the operating rod catch.

I would bet good money based on your description you need a new clip ejector spring installed in your trigger group.

As recommended above, see the CMP website, but beware. Garanditis is highly contagious. I contracted a terrible case and am now waiting for the gun funds to rebuild so I can buy my next fix.

lonewelder
03-08-2010, 11:38 AM
Thats the problem!It looks as if the clip has been cut short.Thanks for th pic.Other people have said the same thing but,couldn't tell what was going on in there w/o the pic.Afraid its too late for Garanditis.I'm already thinking one of the rough ones that are going to be imported.Would be a good base for a 308 conversion

sqlbullet
03-08-2010, 01:30 PM
Get with the CMP. They have plenty of nice ones left. A springer rack grade would make a great base for a 308 conversion and are only $495.

Gene Perryman
03-23-2010, 01:29 PM
Where do I get the Halbrook device, as I don't want my clip to eject ????

Gene

Lead Fred
03-23-2010, 04:29 PM
From John Halbrook

360-671-8522
holbrj@aol.com

burr7870
03-25-2010, 06:51 PM
I have been looking at the Garands at CMP trying to avoid the inevitable. However the inevitable is getting close. I was wondering which grade would make a good shooter. Any thoughts?

sqlbullet
03-26-2010, 10:57 AM
Service grade if going sight unseen. The Service Grade Specials are also nice guns, but carry a much nicer price tag as well.

If you can make it to one of the stores and gauge the throat and muzzle, some good shooters can be found among the field grades. This will save you $100.

I also suggest you join the CMP forum. The guys there post lots of pictures of what they are getting, which helps a bunch in selecting a grade, and correctly setting your expectation of what you are going to get.

I have two Winchesters, both were field grade, but gauge 1.5 throat erosion, one has a like new muzzle, the other gauges a 1 ME. I have had them for about a month and a half, and still haven't gotten them out to shoot them. And it is raining again here today.

The CMP also now has more M2 ball ammo in stock (Greek HXP).

Lead Fred
03-26-2010, 12:14 PM
However the inevitable is getting close.

You get a CMP rifle, and the government will know you have it.

BTW I think the federal is still on the book, that any military rifle can be recalled back into service by Uncle Barry.

Thats why I well folks to get one form a gun show

sqlbullet
03-26-2010, 01:27 PM
I lucked out with regard to the 'books'.

Mine both have CMP paperwork. But I bought them from a movie producer locally who ordered them from the CMP, then got schooled by the director on the difference between the M1 Carbine and the M1 Garand.

I got to pick my two from the four he originally ordered. Cash deal, no paper.

garandsrus
03-26-2010, 01:36 PM
Sqlbullet,

A Garand without a ping every eighth shot just wouldn't be right...

You might also consider getting a SLED (http://www.aaarmory.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_11&products_id=46) which makes single loading much easier and one handed. The SLED is available from several companies. I didn't pay attention to the price from the link I provided so you might be able to find it more cheaply.

John