PDA

View Full Version : Smelted my first lead tonight !

justintimesc
02-26-2010, 12:00 AM
Well I'm new here and stumbled across this place looking for some information, and boy did I find it!:mrgreen: Well I order my furnace molds and everything I think I need to get started. I made 15 ingots tonight with my cast iron dutch oven. it was really easy. All i did was put in the wheel weights skimed off all the metal tabs and gunk that accumlated, then i fluxed with a big piece of wax man did it catch on fire. I'm really excited going to smelt about 150 more lbs and try to cast my first boolits tommorow. :drinks:

Buckshot
02-26-2010, 02:01 AM
..............justintimesc, a hearty welcome to the board! Sounds like you're off to a fine start. You might also want to flux before you skim off all the junk, and once that's done give the pot a good stirring, being sure to scrape across the bottom and the sides. Let it stand for a few moments and then flux once again before pouring the ingots.

................Buckshot

boommer
02-26-2010, 04:38 AM
Welcome justintimesc everybody is willing to help here. Good luck on the boolits today!!

captain-03
02-26-2010, 01:01 PM
WTG -- enjoy!! the newly found hobby!!

lwknight
02-26-2010, 01:06 PM
Dang! more competition for lead.

Glad to have ya join.

justintimesc
02-27-2010, 12:13 AM
Well cast my first boolits today just a few, but they turned out good i think. I'll have to post some pics tommorow! When I smelted i skimmed all me clips and sludge then I fluxed with parafin wax and stired real good, and skimmed again. One thing I noticed is there forms a layer on top but it looks like it's just there because it's in contact with the air. Does that sound right? Thanks.

lwknight
02-27-2010, 12:22 PM
You always will have a thin layer of oxidized tin and or lead on top. Just ignore it till it gets substantial , then flux again.