PDA

View Full Version : 460 xvr

Caster Blaster
02-25-2010, 10:45 PM
there isn't much load data for the S&W 460, I want to pour my own, not buy bullets,
any good suggestions on particular moulds for some 50 - 100yd target work, powder recomendations, so on? Please help a newbie out. ( I do load my own 44, 45acp and 38 CBs' successfully, I got plenty of data from you guys
Tanks:redneck:

stubshaft
02-26-2010, 12:39 AM
Go to "www.reloadbullets.com" M.D. Smith has a bunch of loads for the 460 Smith.

Caster Blaster
02-27-2010, 04:10 PM
Yeah, I have seen that in my scouring of the web, but most of them looked like bought not cast, or I cant find what mold they would have been using. Stubshaft, you told someone that the Lee c452-300-RF is your favorite, what powder and grains are you using? I am very partial to Lee moulds for price, ease of use ect. I haven't got a mould or anything yet, i like to spend my money once.

stubshaft
02-27-2010, 10:34 PM
37.0 296/H110 behind the Lee boolit or LBT 300LFN, both loobed with BAC. I've got a new/used Mountain Mold that casts a 375gr boolit in a Keith SWC style. Gonna try that puppy out soon. I have no desire in driving a boolit out of this gun at 2300fps, I subscribe to the bigger hole going through animal causes FAST fluid leakage camp.

Caster Blaster
02-28-2010, 05:58 PM
thanks, I actually started looking at the mountain mold website after you mentioned it, I was playing with a 350g Keith, (and a rip-off of the hornady sst just for fun, but I'll skip that for now) design but before I ordered one I wanted to find out how to create a suitable load for it, are you going to just find something close and go from there or is there some type of formula or guideline that you will follow? There is nothing in the Lee or Hornady books to help work up a load close to that size

stubshaft
03-01-2010, 01:32 AM
I usually search online at different websites for loads in the general range or with heavier boolits. Then I just go from there. Having a strong gun helps (I shoot an Encore) but paying close attention to the pressure signs (flattened primers, hard extraction, case splitting). When developing a load I take my Hunttingtons press and dies to the range with my scale. That way I can load 3 -5 rounds at a time and check pressures and accuracy. Once in the ballpark then I concentrate on fine tuning the load.

Caster Blaster
03-03-2010, 10:55 PM
thats kinda what I've been doing with my other loads, minus the portable press, I just make them up before setting out, maybe 5 rounds of different weights, carefully labeled and all. the 460 is just a big damn cartridge for a relatively new caster / reloader and makes me just a little nervous. I really like my fingers and wouldn't want to violently misplace any or all of them. Thanks for taking the time to write back, please keep us up to date on how that mountain mold works out

stubshaft
03-04-2010, 08:57 PM
Haven't tried it in the 460 yet but it is a BLAST to shoot out of my BH 45LC.

Caster Blaster
03-04-2010, 10:29 PM
thats gotta be somethin, I got the S&W a month ago but haven't had time to take her for a spin, probably sunday, maybe make a utube vid if it's interesting, theres enough boring vids out there. In a few weeks I might order a 395gr keith mold, gas checked. I've never ordered a custom mold before, anything I should really look out for? The site makes it pretty fool proof with the comments box, but is there anything I would really want or not want?

Caster Blaster
03-04-2010, 10:33 PM
I went with 395gr because hodgedon has data for a lead 395 using h110, which i can use in my 44 and a lighter 460 round when not shooting through an engine block to nail a hog. 395grainer @ almost 1700fps.. HELL YEAH!!

thumper,eh?
04-04-2010, 06:09 PM
Hi Caster Blaster,

I've been lurking for several weeks and decided to register today.

I shoot a 460 TC Encore with 20" barrel. I've used large quantities of AA #9, H-110 and 1680. With 250 grain jacketed bullets I started getting good groups as I aproached maximum listed powder levels. But I didn't get the 460 to shoot jacketed. I have an old 350 gr. Keith I used in my Blackhawk some years back. It was built by John Linebaugh before Al invented the internet and John got famous. It's the only gun that ever bit me, and it was my fault.

With the 460 TC, at 50 yards I could hit an 8 X 11 sheet but it would not group any better. I wasn't sure if it was due to the alloy ( 92-6-2 ), the gain twist, or the lack of a gas check.

The 300 grain started to group but was getting uncomfortable in a rifle as we approached max level loads. The 325 gr was way too much fun.

So I am going back to the 300 gr weights to focus on accuracy rather than just velocity. I can't imagine pulling the trigger on this cartridge in a handgun. Must be getting too close to middle age to work with this thumper, eh?

You may have already found the Hogdon load site, another one having 460 info is reloadammo.com.

Good luck with the beast.

Thumper,eh?

Caster Blaster
04-07-2010, 08:09 AM
thanks for the input Thumper, yeah I've done a bunch of google searches for loads and came across reloadammo.com but others might not. Unfortunately due to work stoppages this project has been put on hold for a little bit. Getting started is kinda expensive, the brass, having to get large rifle primers, (I don't reload large rifle normally) a new powder, a new mold, the Lee 300g WFNGC isn't bad at $20, just not what I really want. The mold I do want will be another $100 plus from Mountain molds. I already got the dies but still need the crimp die. I was saving for this gun for a couple years, I guess I can wait a little longer to fire it.
Luckily I have my 44 dan wesson all set up to keep me occupied, it puts out enough horsepower to satisfy the itch for now.:violin: