PDA

View Full Version : Hot lubing Lee TL bullets

fecmech
02-25-2010, 10:08 PM
Some time back I borrowed a Lee 6 banger 158 TL SWC from David R and cast a few hundred bullets out of ACWW + 2% tin to try just for kicks. I"m not really a fan of the Lee alox so I thought I'd try something different. I laid the bullets on an old cookie sheet and put them in the oven at 200 degrees for about 10 minutes. I then pulled them out and took a stick of Carnauba Red between my fingers length wise and ran it over he hot bullets till it looked like they all had a little on them. I then dumped them all into a plastic bag and mixed the bullets up with my hand outside the bag and then poured them out to cool. That gave them all a nice even coat of lube. I loaded them in some mixed .38 cases with some WAP (Win action pistol) that I wanted to use up and the rest with 5 gs of Unique. I shot them at 50 yds out of my 94 .357 rifle and my K-38 pistol off bags. I got no leading in either gun and got a pretty decent 10 shot group from the rifle considering it was five shots with each powder. I then ran 20-30 more out of each gun just shooting and there was no leading at all. I think you could do this with any stick lube you chose to use.

Model 94-Red bullet holes were the WAP load, others Unique
K- 38 Red Holes were the Unique group, Wap threw a couple fliers

longbow
02-25-2010, 11:41 PM
I mixed up some home made lube with the idea of making a solvent thinned lube like LLA but it suffered the same drying issues and the solvent evaporating out of the mix.

I decided to try "hot tumble lubing" by placing boolits and a small amount of solid lube in a small pan, heating until the lube melted and boolits were hot then rolling them around.

The result is very much like tumble lubing as you have also found. The benefit is that the lube is hard again in a few minutes adn boolits can be loaded.

I am not going to claim it is better than other methods but so far this is working for me for both .44 mag and .303 Brit.

Longbow

geargnasher
02-26-2010, 12:17 AM
I tried making a tumble-lube version of FWFL last year, I abandoned the project (which was halfway successful) because several members here recommended just heating the boolits and tossing in a small piece of lube and tumbling them like you're saying, I tried it and it works pretty darned good. Only problem with my version of the FWFL is it is usually a bit soft the way I like it and it has to be cleaned off of the bottom of the boolits before loading if you tumble them this way or it will do strange things to your SD and Velocity.

Gear