PDA

View Full Version : Need help using a Rowell ladle

AnthonyB
06-20-2006, 07:28 PM
Fellas, I do most of my casting with a ladle and recently purchased a 2 lb. Rowell that I hoped would be the bee's knees for the custom six-cavity designs. The problem is that the alloy stream is too large for me to manage, and I can't get good fillout. I have always had excellent results pouring the alloy from just above the cavities and have never used the Lyman manual's "stick the ladle into the sprue hole and rotate" method. Any tips greatly appreciated. Tony

Maven
06-20-2006, 07:57 PM
Tony, I have the #1 Rowell ladle and know what you are referring to, but I don't use it with my molds. I use the Lyman dipper with all my molds, including the 6-cav. 6.5mm (~130gr.) group buy one and don't have a fill-out problem, even with the Lee. Assuming a clean mold, uncontaminated alloy at the "right" temp., etc. try this: Fill your Lyman/RCBS dipper, then pour it over the sprue holes from a height of ~1/2" to 1". I.e., fill them as you would with a bottom pour furnace. You may only be able to fill 3 cavs. depending on the volume of both the dipper and mold cavs. If so, refill and pour over the remaining sprue holes. Let the sprues harden, shear them off and then inspect your CB's for fillout. This is exactly the method I use with my Lee 6-cav. and it works perfectly. Also, until you get good fillout and no wrinkles or other imperfections, cast at ~800 deg.F, then gradually reduce to ~740 - 760. Paul

45 2.1
06-20-2006, 08:10 PM
Tony-
I have the 1, 2 and larger rowell ladels. What you need to do is work over the inside of the bottom pour spout with a triangular fill so it will pour a stream instead of a river. a small round or triangular file will do this easily.

Slowpoke
06-20-2006, 10:37 PM
Fellas, I do most of my casting with a ladle and recently purchased a 2 lb. Rowell that I hoped would be the bee's knees for the custom six-cavity designs. The problem is that the alloy stream is too large for me to manage, and I can't get good fillout. I have always had excellent results pouring the alloy from just above the cavities and have never used the Lyman manual's "stick the ladle into the sprue hole and rotate" method. Any tips greatly appreciated. Tony

I use the rowell # 1 exclusively, bought a RCBS dipper a few years ago to see if maybe I was missing something, I wasn't!

It handles the 45 acp RCBS six banger you Honchoed just fine, but that is the heaviest bullet I cast in a six cavity.

Like 45 2.1 said use a file to define a channel for the silver stream, I cheated, I used a dremmel with a small stone, not a lot of room for a good file stroke in the # 1.

Then once that's done it is all in the wrist after that, practice makes perfect. :)

Oh yea after useing the #1 for umpteen years I shortened the handle and it gives me more control and not as tiring on a long run.

good luck