PDA

View Full Version : New NEI Aluminum or Meehanite?

Rangerone
06-20-2006, 03:29 PM
Hello to you all,

I am contemplating the purchase of a new mould from NEI. I just got off the phone with them and they were very helpful. I am looking for a light weight bullet for my 45-70, something I can use in my backyard, approximately 50 yard range. I have search the archives here and found several comments about the old "collar button" from Lyman, but I wonder how accurate that would be given the small amount of bearing surface. I spoke to the gentleman at NEI, he recommended to me that I use their bullet number 344B, which is a 458-405, and then simply remove the bottom two bands and grease grooves. He said they should give me about a 250 grain bullet. I like this idea as it seems to give me more bearing surface with less weight.

So, what you think of this idea? I will be using this in my Marlin Guide Gun. Any other suggestions? I do not like Lee moulds.

Also, what do you think of the difference between aluminum and meehanite? The price for this mould in a four cavity would be $100 in aluminum and $140 in meehanite. Is there any real advantage other than the obvious weight difference?
Price is secondary to quality, I generally keep these things forever...

Fortunately, he said the production time is about two weeks...

Thanks in advance for your advice. I am just rediscovering how much fun casting is. I should receive my new SAECO Lubrisizer tomorrow...

felix
06-20-2006, 05:14 PM
Meehanite is a company's name that first formulated iron with copper, which turns out to be a metal that is exquisite for making a mold and having it its dimensions held for years after numerous casting outings. The problem up until that time was finding a flux and temperature to make the copper stick in the solution until a homogenous solid. There are quite a few iron/steel makers that can produce that alloy today. Yes, it is far better than aluminum, but you have to consider your tolerance for tool weight, and most especially as you grow weaker. ... felix

Bass Ackward
06-20-2006, 05:26 PM
You can probably get away with either material because of the length and caliber of your bullets.

Aluminum will transfer heat faster and allow you to mold quicker and generally a bottom pour selection. The iron is more durable and is a laddler's dream. I have an aluminum mold that is goig on 35 years that could pass for new except for the burnt on lube.

Only you know your patience level.

Rangerone
06-20-2006, 06:55 PM
Hmmmm....

Well, I have a RCBS bottom pour that I have not used for years. I started ladling when I shot BPCR for a time. I bought a couple of Rowell's and a propane setup from Dave Gullo at Buffalo Arms and have ladle poured ever since. I think I will go with the iron mold.

Patience? I see casting much as I do reloading in general... peaceful and theraputic... Alone with the task at hand and no outside disturbances.

Weakness? Never, that is for old guys who drink decaf coffee... ;-)

Any comments on the mould design?

Thanks for the thoughts...

montana_charlie
06-20-2006, 07:10 PM
Also, what do you think of the difference between aluminum and meehanite? The price for this mould in a four cavity would be $100 in aluminum and $140 in meehanite. Is there any real advantage other than the obvious weight difference?
My NEI moulds are all aluminum, and I am quite satisfied with them. But, price does make a difference for me.

If you find (or get into) a discussion about NEI moulds, and at least five people participate, it's not unusual to have one of them say he knew or dealt with Walt Melander...the originatior of that company.

In one of those (several of months ago) the conversation turned to the aluminum versus iron question so I paid attention because I was contemplating a new mould, and was wondering the same as you.

The one guy who claimed to 'know' Walt said that Mr. Melander told him that he felt the aluminum blocks were as good as you could ask for. But, he went on to say, as long as guys were willing to pay the price, he would keep cutting moulds from iron.

There is no way I can say there is any truth to the comment. I'm just passing it on.
I know the last iron mould I used was a dandy...but it didn't come from NEI.
CM

rigmarol
06-20-2006, 07:47 PM
A comment about your advise about removing the lower part of the bullet; how did he suggest to do this? a band saw?

I'm wondering if you can fill the bottom with some sort of "filler" that can later be removed.

Just some idle thoughts...

Rangerone
06-20-2006, 08:18 PM
A comment about your advise about removing the lower part of the bullet; how did he suggest to do this? a band saw?

No, I meant to say that they would modify the design when building the mould... they would simply modify the depth of the reamer to eliminate the bottom 2 bands and grease grooves.

44man
06-20-2006, 11:50 PM
NEI uses quality aluminum, unlike Lee. I have never worn out a Lee mould even though they are soft. I use aircraft aluminum for my moulds and they are as tough as iron. I would not hesitate to get the aluminum mould.
I made a mould for a 317 gr boolit for my BFR 45-70 revolver and it is accurate out to 500 meters. I shot it out of an original trapdoor and it clover leafed them at 50 yd's. I would stay around 300 gr's instead of going real light. Recoil is mild.

Rangerone
06-21-2006, 12:34 AM
I made a mould for a 317 gr boolit for my BFR 45-70 revolver and it is accurate out to 500 meters. I shot it out of an original trapdoor and it clover leafed them at 50 yd's. I would stay around 300 gr's instead of going real light. Recoil is mild.

OK... With all the comments about aluminum, perhaps I could put the extra $$ toward the 1894C in .357 that I am trying to find...

As to Lee moulds, I have one I purchased from Wolf to use with my Trapdoor. It works, but it is marginal in quality.

D.Mack
06-22-2006, 09:49 PM
Rangerone I had a similar desire last year, solved the problem with a beagled 255 pistol bulletmould. with 5 gr. of unique and a small dacron tuft to hold the powder in place, it sounds like a 22 and hits hard enough to knock over a full size pig sillouette at 25 yards. It's my backyard gopher gun. Just don't drop the charge below 3.5 gr or you will be driving the slug out with a rod and hammer. DM I just reread your post, and you wanted it for 50 yards, just up the charge, and it should work just fine DM

Grandpa Dolan
06-26-2006, 11:18 AM
I ordered a mold from NEI for my 8.15X46R. which has a bore of .318, by phone. I was told it would be very close to .318. It is a nice Aluminum mold and makes good boolets. Only prooblem is the boolets measure .324. Thats too big to size down to .318 in my book. I have the tools and know how to use them and the first driving band (the only one I can measure) is .3245 with an accuracy of .001. I was told the lyno-type I use must expand soome .002 and that he has a tolerance of .003. Now Aluminum will expand on heating. a .3 inch hole will increase about .001 from room temp to casting temp. But the alloy that I use does not expand when it changes from liquid temp. to room temp. It contracts about .002. all I can say is clarify the diameter question befor you order. Oh I am going to keep the mold for my 8 MM Mauser.Its .324....let the buyer beware!!Take time to play...Grandpa Dolan

Rangerone
06-26-2006, 10:55 PM
D.Mack... This is a timely response as I was just thinking I need a lighter 45 colt mould for my Redhawk. I have a SAECO 300 gr. GC #454 for the heavier stuff.

Grandpa Dolan... I will watch carefully if I decide on a NEI... If it is bad, I am sure they will take care of it, especially given the comments I have read here...

rigmarol
06-27-2006, 05:09 PM
No, I meant to say that they would modify the design when building the mould... they would simply modify the depth of the reamer to eliminate the bottom 2 bands and grease grooves.

My misunderstanding, sorry. Thanks.

Bret4207
06-28-2006, 07:27 AM
I have a couple nEI's that Walt Melander made in aluminum. My .331x245 is the best mould I own. What the current company does I can't say, but if it's the same aluminum I wouldn't worry. Much tougher than Lee.

beagle
06-28-2006, 11:50 AM
One of the last moulds Walt made before his death was a DC meehanite in .375 for his 320 grain RN and 300 grain spire point.

I had to argue him into making tow cavities this large due to heat transfer but he made it.

Best mould I've ever bought from NEI and I've bought a few.

IMO, the meehanite is well worth the $$$ you pay for it as opposed to aluminum.

Saying that, i've never had any troube with NEIs aluminum moulds either.

Just a matter of preference./beagle

Rangerone
06-28-2006, 12:07 PM
To sum all this up...
When it comes to NEI moulds... it does not matter... Do you prefer light or heavy...?!

9.3X62AL
06-28-2006, 01:02 PM
Pretty good summation, Ranger One. I now have 4 NEI aluminum molds, 3 of which are small caliber rifle tools--and they do fine work. Same story on Mountain Molds aluminum blocks. As long as the tools aren't beaten and abused, they seem to hold up pretty well for me.

LAH
06-28-2006, 02:55 PM
I have moulds from both materials made by Walt. No complaints with either and believe me all are well used...........Creeker

Bad Flynch
06-28-2006, 08:45 PM
Well, as noted above, I did deal directly with Walt at NEI. However, the conversation really never got around to which was better and I cannot remember why. IIRC, some other mould manufacturers use a softer alloy that can even be pressed around a bullet form to make the mould, but NEI moulds were all individually cut.

I have a mould for a ring-tailed sharps bullet that I had him cut without the ring-tail bands--that so I could use it by dropping it directly into the chamber without the paper cartridge. I also had him cut a .45 Colt bullet so that it cast bullets at 0.458" for an Uberti revolver that has huge throats. He was glad to do so and understood my needs. Great guy!

Yes, I will buy more NEI moulds, if the mould gods decree that I need one. The new folks there also make good moulds. I think one of them is his daughter, IIRC.

gray wolf
07-08-2006, 08:47 PM
the last time i was at LL cote in N.H. # 1-800 287 7700 they had a n e i Alum. 2 cav. mold in very nice condition for $30. I took the r c b s handles for 10$ and the mold was there to day for I think 20$. it was for a 45/70 looked to be at least 400 grains. top of mold could be milled (shortend) to give you a shorter lighter bullet.
ask for the gun Dep.
Gray Wolf

Rangerone
07-08-2006, 10:37 PM
Thank you Gray Wolf...
I will call tomorrow morning!