PDA

View Full Version : sprue plate lube

edsmith
02-25-2010, 05:31 PM
what is a good sprue plate lube? besides bull plate lube or anti-seize. thanks

dromia
02-25-2010, 05:39 PM
Sorry I can't really answer your question as Bull plate is the best there is.

Any sort of lube that will work at the mould temp will do to a lesser or greater extent.

The traditional recommendation is beeswax or boolit lube.

Recluse
02-25-2010, 07:26 PM
Ditto.

Have not found anything even close to as good as Bullplate, let alone better.

:coffee:

Dan Cash
02-25-2010, 07:51 PM
I'll stay with bees wax and graphite as sold by LBT or made by me. Bull Plate finds its way into places it should not be and really screws up the mould.

largom
02-25-2010, 07:55 PM
Most any lubricant will work [for a while] but there is nothing as good as Bullplate that I have found. I have used all kinds of high temp. grease, graphite, waxes, and lubes from mold makers. I got my first NOE mold with a sample of Bullplate. I used it as per directions and will no longer even try anything else. As long as you don't spill the bottle it seems to last forever you use such a small amount.

Larry

Greenhorn44
02-25-2010, 08:44 PM
Does beeswax work well? Graphite??? Havent used that stuff since pinewood derby days. I know its good for locks, how does it handle heat.

Casting Timmy
02-25-2010, 09:58 PM
I like crayons for there convient stick form, and they're cheap enough.

Marvin S
02-25-2010, 10:50 PM
I use BoeLube, from Boeing aircraft Co.

geargnasher
02-25-2010, 11:31 PM
I use BoeLube, from Boeing aircraft Co.

That's funny. I think fewer people know what Boelube is than do Bullplate. Good stuff though, used it on hydralic terminal crimping (heavy lug) equipment when I worked for them right out of college. Where did you find it outside of one of their plants?

Gear

geargnasher
02-25-2010, 11:35 PM
I'll stay with bees wax and graphite as sold by LBT or made by me. Bull Plate finds its way into places it should not be and really screws up the mould.

That's because you overapplied it. Even if it does find it's way into the cavities, a quick swipe with rubbing alcohol on a q-tip (hot mould) cleans it right out.

Gear

Marvin S
02-26-2010, 08:41 PM
I got mine from the USAF depot rework facility at Tinker AFB. But it can be had from a few of the aviation tool suppliers like Brown tool and maybe Pan America. I'm not saying its the best thing for sprue plate lube but it works decent and that's what I had handy.

Springfield
02-26-2010, 09:21 PM
Bullplate is the ONLY thing I have found that actually works, while still not building up and crudding up your mould. I have even accidentally put on too much and it ended up in a cavity and I STILL had a good bullet. Bullet lube and beeswax, graphite, moly based anti-seize, NEI sprue lube NEVER did that, they would ruin a cavity for at least 4-6 pours. I have over 80,000 44-40 bullets through 2 LEE 6 cavity moulds and they are still working mostly due to using Bullplate(plus being careful). I use it on my Mihec brass moulds and on the few steel moulds I use, but I especially love it on my aluminum moulds. They are just too easily damaged to trust anything else, GB moulds are too difficult to replace. I have 14 bottles of it just in case it ever becomes unavailable. Can you give us any specifics on how Bullplate ruined a mould? I'm sure we would all be interested in that.