PDA

View Full Version : Crikey-- TIN???

looseprojectile
02-25-2010, 05:23 PM
Was at the local hardware store getting some other stuff and walked by the solder shelf.
Who pays $24.97 for a pound of lead free solder? Took my breath away.
I am going to hold tight to the tin I have on hand.
Looks like the casting and reloading hobby is increasing in price.[I still scrounge a lot].

Life is good

lwknight
02-25-2010, 05:41 PM
That store is jacking you. You can buy tin from rotometals.com for $11.99 per pound.

deltaenterprizes
02-25-2010, 06:02 PM
Should I be able to get $5.00/lb for factory bars of 40/60 solder?

MtGun44
02-25-2010, 06:58 PM
Which is 40 and which is 60? 60% Tin would be $8.33/lb for the tin. 40% tin would be
$12.50/lb for the tin. Assuming that the rotometals price above is correct, they are tad
cheaper than the 40% and a good bit more expensive than the 60%.

lwknight
02-25-2010, 08:12 PM
I just checked. Its currently $11.99 and no price break at #50 like it used to be.
A few months ago I bought #50 that started @ $10.99 then the price break plus it was a 10% off everything day. So I got it for about $8.00 per pound.

captaint
02-27-2010, 06:58 PM
LP - I get my tin by buying pewter at second hand stores. It is 90 - 95% tin, so I just melt it down in 1 lb ingots and call it pure tin. Just make sure it's marked ______pewter. If I can get it for 5 bux a pound, I'm ok with that. My take. enjoy Mike

Lee
02-27-2010, 07:40 PM
I'm not really speaking to you. I'm dead you see, due to the 60/40 solders used in all of my plumbing fixtures since my birth, up to and including the current house I am living in(dead) today.
That Mercury ball I played with as a kid has also killed me. It is only my ghost typing this.
The asbestos wrapped heating pipes in the house I lived in as a youth have killed me. Dead.
Butter. I ate butter and jelly sandwiches as a kid. Butter and cheese sandwiches as an adult. I'm dead now, from all that butter.
I am sufocated by the CO2 that Al Gore said I generated during my wasteful life time. Dead.
I advise all of you to stock up on a couple rolls of 60/40 plumbing solder. It will be enough to kill you for the rest of your life. Don't settle for the 50/50 stuff. That takes much longer to kill you.
P.S. If that don't kill you. start knawing on your crib side rails, and the window sills in your homes. Several hundred of them will kill you eventually, if you survive global warming. Have a nice day:-)

7of7
02-28-2010, 01:17 AM
I'm not really speaking to you. I'm dead you see, due to the 60/40 solders used in all of my plumbing fixtures since my birth, up to and including the current house I am living in(dead) today.
That Mercury ball I played with as a kid has also killed me. It is only my ghost typing this.
The asbestos wrapped heating pipes in the house I lived in as a youth have killed me. Dead.
Butter. I ate butter and jelly sandwiches as a kid. Butter and cheese sandwiches as an adult. I'm dead now, from all that butter.
I am sufocated by the CO2 that Al Gore said I generated during my wasteful life time. Dead.
I advise all of you to stock up on a couple rolls of 60/40 plumbing solder. It will be enough to kill you for the rest of your life. Don't settle for the 50/50 stuff. That takes much longer to kill you.
P.S. If that don't kill you. start knawing on your crib side rails, and the window sills in your homes. Several hundred of them will kill you eventually, if you survive global warming. Have a nice day:-)

you're supposed to put your head through the bars on the crib side rails and make sure the rail lowers,... that's how those things kill you... make sure it has the plastic hardware though...[smilie=l: