View Full Version : Please explain recoil & shooting comfort

Naphtali
02-25-2010, 01:53 PM
I experienced a phenomenon I cannot understand or explain. Until yesterday when I would shoot handguns at the range, I would take a Freedom Arms Model 97 45 Colt or FA M87 475 Linebaugh - never before both. I take some midrange loads, some full power hunting loads. It is the full power loads that have me scratching my head.

My M97 load is:
45 Colt
W-W brass
CCI 350
Saeco 300-grain SWK-GC (cast with wheel weight), finishing at 300 grains ±.2 grains.
H110 - 21.92 grains

My M83 load is:
475 Linebaugh
Hornady brass
CCI 350
Mountain Molds 401-grain WFN GC (cast with wheel weight), finishing at 401 grains ±.2 grains
H110 - 24.7 grains
Both revolvers have FA's stabilized wood grips.

The recoil of the M83 is significantly more unpleasant in terms of wrist pain. BUT . . .

Actual recoil movement, speed of that jerk, muzzle blast - any quantifiable way to compare recoil - the M97 is much more severe. Yet it is much more comfortable to shoot, muzzle blast aside. I can shoot it well one-handed, shoot it more accurately from any position.

This makes no sense. Yet that's the situation. What is going on here? Why?

targetshootr
02-25-2010, 02:21 PM
The 97 is probably much lighter, snapping back faster. The 83, being heavier probably has more inertia to jolt your hands.

454PB
02-25-2010, 02:31 PM
You don't mention barrel length.

My F.A. 83 in .454 Casull with maximum effort handloads is extremely violent in recoil, has in fact hit several shooters in the forehead. That's caused by the short 4 3/4" barrel and relatively light weight. The same ammo fired in my Taurus RB or Ruger SRH with their longer barrels and more weight is much easier handle.

Naphtali
02-25-2010, 02:44 PM
You don't mention barrel length.

My F.A. 83 in .454 Casull with maximum effort handloads is extremely violent in recoil, has in fact hit several shooters in the forehead. That's caused by the short 4 3/4" barrel and relatively light weight. The same ammo fired in my Taurus RB or Ruger SRH with their longer barrels and more weight is much easier handle.Yesterday's 97 has 4.25-inch barrel. M83 has 6-inch barrel.

In neither case is recoil uncontrollable. I cannot tolerate the 475 for a cylinderful of shooting. Three-to-four shots is my daily limit.

The 97 is shootable at least 20 rounds per session. Were I to shoot only one-handed offhand, I have no idea of how many rounds I could tolerate.

The inertia difference, I had not considered. Hmm.

targetshootr
02-25-2010, 07:25 PM
The 475 boolit is heavier too, probably generating more momentum.

Captain*Kirk
02-26-2010, 12:10 AM
A lot can have to do with the size of the grim in your palm. I definitely shoot better with a small grip I can wrap my palm around, and curl my right pinky under the grip. Are both grips the same size/profile?

mooman76
02-26-2010, 12:45 AM
Design of the gun has to do with it also. And a big factor is how it fits your hand. One gun may fit you better than others and the reverse may be with someone else with of coarse opposite results.

7br
02-26-2010, 05:38 PM
Years ago, I had a .44 mag barrel for my contender. With anything larger than 240 grain bullets, the trigger guard spur would chew up my off hand. I have shot 7tcu, 7-30 waters and .30-30 through the contender with nary a problem. I brother in law has the same problem with an Encore in .460. I am inclined to think the momentum idea has merit.

Naphtali
02-26-2010, 09:15 PM
I have very small hands. I get full grips on 83 and 97 without a problem. In neither case do I rap pinkie beneath grip frame. Because my centerfire revolvers are "Boomers," one- or two-handed, my strong hand single action grip has thumb curled down, similar to what I do with double action revolvers.

I have not shot a 475 or 480 one handed. Because I shoot two handed with a hard push-pull grip, I do not notice a significant difference in grip size between an 83 and a 97. And in both cases weak hand's index finger is pulling firmly on the front of the trigger guard.

44man
02-27-2010, 09:16 AM
Boolit weight and barrel rise is what twists your wrist. I only have a problem with the .475 and .500 Linebaugh from sandbags. I shoot the .475 once in a while with one hand but it hits too high. I can shoot any gun from Creedmore without a change in POI or wrist twist and that is a one hand hold but sandbags really are hard to shoot from.
I hate the pretty, smooth factory grips on Freedoms, even the 97 in .357 will beat my knuckle. The 83 in .475 is punishing but the rubber grips make it easy to shoot without pain.
With the size of my hands and knuckles, I feel all Bisley grips should be remelted as scrap.
Grips are too personal and one size does not fit all and that can change for everyone when the caliber is increased so if a small caliber feels good to you, that does not mean a big blaster will with the same grip.
I refuse to shoot Whitworth's .500 Alaskan with the shiny grips and no filler behind the trigger guard. He loves the pretty grips even after splitting his head open! :bigsmyl2::bigsmyl2:
Sometimes you need to change grips for shooting and then put the pretty ones back on for your wall hanger. [smilie=s: I just leave ugly on my guns all the time.