PDA

View Full Version : Bull Plate Disater

clodhopper
02-25-2010, 12:42 PM
Casting this mornig, it happened again. A careless reach for sprues and the bottle of bull plate got tipped over.
With horror, as the precious green liquid spred I grabbed the bottle and stood it back up.
Grabbing some clean bore patches the enlarging pool was soped up.
Then the light came on, just steps away stored in a drawer was an empty .177 pellet can. The patches went in the can for later use.
After thinking about that storage idea another plan came to mind. Keep a medicine bottle close by full of Q-tips. When that inevetable spill occurs take the Q-tips and mop up with just one end then put them all back in the bottle and you will always have one ready in the future.
Then that little bottle of bull plate can be stored safley away from clumsy hands.

257 Shooter
02-25-2010, 12:46 PM
Great Idea. Hate that you spilled so mubh Bull Plate.

runfiverun
02-25-2010, 12:47 PM
glue a big washer to the base.
as i understand it dan had to search far and wide for those bottles so they would move at the last moment right where your arm was gonna go.
he also designed [and i believe patented] the optical illusion that the sides were flat and not completely rounded.
his only flaw was to specify a lid for them.

ghh3rd
02-25-2010, 01:08 PM
Would be nice to have it in one of those bottles where it has a little spout on top that folds down for storage... can't remember where I've seen them, but they exist. I'm always afraid of spilling mine too.

Jim
02-25-2010, 01:17 PM
I made a habit decades ago to screw the top back on whatever I opened immediately after using the product.

BABore
02-25-2010, 01:20 PM
Hmmm! IIRC the two bottles of BP lube I bought came with screw caps. My bottles tip over all the time in my casting junk box and have never leaked or spilled. Maybe you guys got defective caps and need to call Bullshop up to complain.:violin: :bigsmyl2:

GLL
02-25-2010, 01:58 PM
I too have tipped over a full bottle of BullPlate lube !

There is a simple solution ! I now buy large numbers of NOE moulds. Swede has included a small squeeze bottle sample which has a tight fitting snap-on cap ! I not only have a large original bottle but a handful of these small ones as well. Each small bottle only costs $85.00 or so and you get a FREE mould to go along with it ! :) :)

Jerry

http://www.fototime.com/1FC03A622C6012D/standard.jpg

ghh3rd
02-25-2010, 02:02 PM
Each small bottle only costs $85.00 or so and you get a FREE mould to go along with it !

I like that :-)

BABore
02-25-2010, 02:06 PM
Or you can save yourself $84 if you already have molds and buy them from here.

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=23787&catid=750

Several varieties and sizes are available.

They also offer glass bottles for those prone to melting plastic.

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=23393&catid=589

winelover
02-25-2010, 02:12 PM
Would be nice to have it in one of those bottles where it has a little spout on top that folds down for storage... can't remember where I've seen them, but they exist. I'm always afraid of spilling mine too.

Empty orange plastic bottle of Hoppes Gun Oil has that kind of spout. You can then recycle.[smilie=2:

fredj338
02-25-2010, 02:28 PM
I made a habit decades ago to screw the top back on whatever I opened immediately after using the product.

Yeah! I do this for powder cans as well. If it can spill, it will, keep the lid on it.[smilie=1:

kenjuudo
02-25-2010, 02:34 PM
My casting bench has a steel top, this solved the problem for me. A little RTV sealant and a magnet.

1Shirt
02-25-2010, 02:41 PM
I also spilled half a btl, which really #(&@#% me off, but I got over it, and ordered another btl. Some good ideas here however, but now I put the top back on as soon as I pull the Q-tip out.
1Shirt!:coffeecom

Blammer
02-25-2010, 02:42 PM
I'm gonna have to get one of them bottles that include a free mould with it! That's a deal!

gray wolf
02-25-2010, 02:59 PM
Get a small amount of Plaster of Paris, a small plastic pop bottle and trim the bottle so the bottom is about an inch high. fill it with the plaster and sink the bottle into it. Let it harden and you will have a nice flat bottom holder.

Steelbanger
02-25-2010, 03:12 PM
This reminds me of an incident a few years back.

My wife decided that we needed a new kitchen floor and we began to shop around. Everything was up to her except for my usual small input. Anyway, she selected linoleum that ran over $30.00 sq. yd. I agreed so we bought it and had it installed.

Within one week of having a new floor, a very nice, classic looking floor, I was using some Rapine Mould Release, at the kitchen table of course. Said mould release is a black solution that dries almost instantly when you apply it to mould blocks. The table was covered with newspapers and I felt that nothing could go wrong. Oh yea? I bumped the bottle over and it fell to the floor. Not one drop was wasted on the newspaper, not one, but almost the entire bottle splashed across her new flooring. I was just starting to get off the chair when Carol walked into the kitchen. She was a good woman, no screaming, no ranting, but there was an understood, unspoken threat in the sound of her voice. "What are you going to use to get this cleaned up?" she asked. Soap & water, an assortment of miracle sprays couldn't touch that stuff, an bunch of cleaners were tried and nothing would get that black stain removed. I truly believe that this incident was the turning point in turning the rest of my hair gray. I suggested lighter fluid although I wasn't sure what would happen to the new floor. That did the trick, cleaned up nicely and to this day you cannot see any sign of the abuse our new floor took.

And, I too have spilled some Bull Plate but you can bet your a$$ it wasn't in the kitchen!

Freightman
02-25-2010, 03:34 PM
My casting bench has a steel top, this solved the problem for me. A little RTV sealant and a magnet.
Be real careful with a bottle marked eye drops, my daughter in law's dad ran a battery shop and put some test acid in a eye bottle. He has a problem with hie eyes being dry and when he took off his glasses he can not see very well, picked up the wrong eye drop bottle. You can guess the rest, still has a problem seeing from that eye and it has been 20 years. Put a piece of tape over the label for safety.

stocker
02-25-2010, 03:41 PM
Learned that fly tying head lacquer was also prone to being dumped so made wooden bases to set them in that don't tip over. Do the same with Bull Plate containers. Another idea going through my head is to simply get a syringe that comes with a plastic cap for the needle tip. Suck the bottle content into the syringe and now I'd have a completely controllable dispenser for wetting Q-tips etc.

lwknight
02-25-2010, 03:41 PM
Save the Lee TL bottles if you use LLA that is.

montana_charlie
02-25-2010, 03:45 PM
Casting this mornig, it happened again.
Again?
Maybe you need to have a standing order with Dan.

Or, look into something like this...
http://mro2go.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Category_Code=CH14B&Product_Code=758CH121&Screen=PROD

CM

Baron von Trollwhack
02-25-2010, 04:02 PM
You could drill a hole somewhere for the bottle to live in till you catch it for use, or jb weld it to a block o'plumber's plumbum. BvT

mpmarty
02-25-2010, 04:06 PM
Buy two bottles one to use and one to spill.:killingpc

Tom W.
02-25-2010, 04:09 PM

Sinclair sells them , three fer pretty cheap.

IllinoisCoyoteHunter
02-25-2010, 04:43 PM
+1 on the little bottles that come with NOE molds. I have even knocked that over a couple times...but no harm done.. LOL!

thx997303
02-25-2010, 05:09 PM
I knocked over my beer while playing poker at the bar the other day.

My solution?

Don't drink so much beer while playing poker.

But that's not an option so...... :drinks:

jonk
02-25-2010, 05:18 PM
I don't mean to judge, after all we've all spilled things... BUT why do people spill THIS item with such regularity????

As I've said I'm not a great fan of it as I just don't personally see it inferring any advantage for its main use (like speed green though) but when I DO use it, one dab lasts a whole session and i just screw the lid back on!

mmorris
02-25-2010, 08:29 PM
Made this in 5 minutes.

No spills. :mrgreen:
(homemade label)

Mike

ghh3rd
02-26-2010, 12:45 AM
I don't mean to judge, after all we've all spilled things... BUT why do people spill THIS item with such regularity???? Cause we being safety conscious and and trying to maneauver a Qtip into a little bottle while wearing thick leather gloves :-)

sojerguy
02-26-2010, 03:24 AM
From what I'm seeing here, the Bull Plate lube needs a name change ...

I'm suggesting something like ..........

Bull Plate Tumbling lube.... :mrgreen:

Firebird
02-27-2010, 07:51 PM
Midway gives lots of options for a spill-proof bottle, I bought a pack of three needle top bottles some years back and use them for my cleaning solvents and gun oils. Doesn't look like the same product is still available, but there are lots of options

a little expensive but has lots of good reviews
Dewey Ultimate oil bottle (http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=450802)

Cheap, and you get three at once
Tipton flip-top bottle (http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=152757)

A whole assortment of bottles, one of these should work
Coghlan's Contain-Alls (http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=551561)

and this one, but Montana Charlie's link looks like a lot better deal and comes with a flip-top lid as well as the needle top.
Baker's gun oil bottle (http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=895165)

wistlepig1
02-27-2010, 09:38 PM
You guys are ALL wrong, check with YOUR lady, she has all kinds of products that come in those kind of bottles. Pour it down the sink and take the bottle or for the less adventurous ask for them.:bigsmyl2:[smilie=p:

Lunk
02-28-2010, 03:03 AM
For those who order a fair bit from Amazon they also have Plasitc bottle (http://www.amazon.com/Plastic-Bottle-Flip-Top-Oz/dp/B000BD0XHG/ref=sr_1_20?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1267340280&sr=8-20) you could just tag a couple onto your next order. It's what I plan to do.

unique
02-28-2010, 07:53 PM
So what is this precious material Bullplate lube? I heard it comes from the boiled tonque of an albino muskox and that is why it is so precious?

Anyway what is it used for? Thanks

Bad Water Bill
02-28-2010, 08:57 PM
Sorry but Bullplate lube is extracted from the mucus of the left nostril of the male Whooping Crane within 24 hours of their arrival from their wintering grounds. Since it is so difficultto collect Dan suggests using it VERY sparingly to the underside of your sproe plate to prevent lead smears from forming.[smilie=w:It really works great

alamogunr
02-28-2010, 09:15 PM
For those who order a fair bit from Amazon they also have Plasitc bottle (http://www.amazon.com/Plastic-Bottle-Flip-Top-Oz/dp/B000BD0XHG/ref=sr_1_20?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1267340280&sr=8-20) you could just tag a couple onto your next order. It's what I plan to do.

The flip up nozzle's are great. I have several around the shop. Don't expect them not to leak if left on their side. One thing I have found is that the contents seem to migrate to the outside of the cap if the contents are very thin. Not enough to make a mess but usually requires wiping off the top occasionally. Mine are recycled from some other use so my experience may not be the norm.

John
W.TN

Cloudpeak
02-28-2010, 09:22 PM
Sorry but Bullplate lube is extracted from the mucus of the left nostril of the male Whooping Crane within 24 hours of their arrival from their wintering grounds.

Hmmmm, Whooping Crane. Taste just like chicken;)

Tazman1602
02-28-2010, 10:11 PM
So what is this precious material Bullplate lube? I heard it comes from the boiled tonque of an albino muskox and that is why it is so precious?

Anyway what is it used for? Thanks

Real good stuff you can get from a good guy:

http://bullshop.gunloads.com/

You use it when casting to keep the sprue plate from sticking and your mold pins lubed. One 2oz bottle lasts forever........right up until you spill the dog gone thing. The formula is still secret although we all wonder because it works so well.........!!!

.............I buy three at a time.....................

This post only applies if you were really asking what it was for and not joshing us all..............if so I've been had..........!!

Three-Fifty-Seven
02-28-2010, 10:55 PM
I have not managed to tip mine over, and if I did . . . It has a lid . . . Dan did not just include the cap for shipping, go ahead and use it on a regular basis . . .

Miha also gives out free molds with a bottle of lube . . .

randyrat
02-28-2010, 11:41 PM
Those bottles of Bull Plate lube last soooo long Dan had to design a flaw into the bottle. LOL
I swear those bottles are designed to tip over. I too have tipped a bottle over and i'm still using the same spilled bottle of Bull plate lube.