PDA

View Full Version : Round nose 44mag Cast? Jerkin my Gerkin

Greenhorn44
02-25-2010, 10:03 AM
I recently purchased a 6 cavity lee mold. 240 grain 44mag, For a good price on Ebayer. I Floundered when i seen it in my mailbox, ripped it open with my kershaw, and to my suprise!!!! Round nose??? ***. Is this even legal.
I quickley melted down some Liquid sunshine, carbonized the mould and began the creation of our lands finest. First batch, quenched.....then measured the weight.
Just as I suspected, 253 grains.
I havent sized them yet but... I do believe that its cause of that dome head.
Whacha Think?

-When life gives you Lemons, Your supposed to make Lemonade......with a 17hmr

HammerMTB
02-25-2010, 10:19 AM
Weights will vary because of alloy content. Even "if" the volume of the mold is EXACTLY right to yield a 240 gr boolit with some given content, every other alloy will be different.
'Sides, 240, 253, doesn't seem like a big difference. As long as they cast consistently, it's no bother.
As to the RN, what was it advertised as? If it didn't say, maybe you found out why it was on flea-bay. Someone bought the wrong one, and decided to recoup some of the loss and reorder the right mold.

Kraschenbirn
02-25-2010, 10:38 AM
Hmmm, 'bout my favorite boolit for my .44 Spls. I've got a double-cavity edition of that mould that drops 246 grainers from a 50/50 mix of WW and range scrap which , loaded over 9 gr. of Herco, shoot POA @ 25 yds from my OM Vaquero.

Bill

Greenhorn44
02-25-2010, 11:00 AM
Confermation, thanks alot guys. Im using fishing weight lead with about 10% percent tin solder. Maybe I should increase the tin to 20%. No one will come off tire weights in the city. I already have buckets of 10oz sinkers from my river rattin days. So they suit me just fine for plinkin.

HORNET
02-25-2010, 01:31 PM
If they fill out good, try them like they are. No sense in wasting expensive tin if you don't need to. If you're having fillout problems that a little more heat won't fix, then add about 1% tin at a time. No point in going over 5% maximum, the lead/tin hardness curve has a "knee" in it at about 5% where it takes a lot more tin to get a very small increase in hardness past there.

lwknight
02-25-2010, 03:37 PM
Sounds like the same mold I have. With 92-2-6 alloy mine weigh 244 grains.
If they dod weigh 250 or 253 I would still shoot them. I made some with 2% tin and 0 antimony that expand like a JHP, yup, just turn inside out and retain 99% of weight.