PDA

View Full Version : 50th Anniversary Ruger Flattop 44

AnthonyB
06-20-2006, 10:41 AM
Fellas, I got the chance to completely disassemble and clean the new Flattop last week. Tolerances seem to be better than the Smith Mountain Gun it replaced, and I love the new "old" grip frame. I haven't slugged it yet, but the throats will allow a .430 boolit to be pushed through under pressure, so the oversize throat problem seems to be fixed. I'll fire a few hundred hot jacketed loads and then start work with cast. Handling this one makes me really want one of the 357 versions with the shorter barrel. Tony

Bucks Owin
06-20-2006, 12:23 PM
Fellas, I got the chance to completely disassemble and clean the new Flattop last week. Tolerances seem to be better than the Smith Mountain Gun it replaced, and I love the new "old" grip frame. I haven't slugged it yet, but the throats will allow a .430 boolit to be pushed through under pressure, so the oversize throat problem seems to be fixed. I'll fire a few hundred hot jacketed loads and then start work with cast. Handling this one makes me really want one of the 357 versions with the shorter barrel. Tony

I'll bet you'll love it Tony! I'd like to have both the new Flattops too, they're beautiful hoglegs....(Too bad there's no 10" versions...:( )

One thing you "may" notice with the old style gripframe is that your middle knuckle is mighty close to the trigger guard. Be forewarned! (heh heh :twisted: )

Best,

Dennis

6pt-sika
06-22-2006, 12:21 AM
My pop got an original 44 Flattie last summer in about 97% for $325 . Albeit that it does not have the original grips .
I've had very decent luck shooting cast in this pistol it was made in I believe 1957.

I've also had one of the 50th 357's in my hands . I wouldn't mine having one of those for a holster gun during hunting season .:Fire:

AnthonyB
06-22-2006, 09:22 AM
I bought an OM Blackhawk in 357 from another board member at the same time I got the 44. My play money is all gone, but I'm very happy with both. I cleaned the OM over the last few days, and am very happy with it; it is even better than advertised. However, the fit and finish on the Anniversary Flattop puts the OM to shame. Ruger is surely doing something right with these revolvers, and they even moved the warning label to the bottom of the barrel on the latest 50th Anniversary models. Anyone with a hankering for an OM or Flattop should seriously consider one of these. Tony

Bucks Owin
06-24-2006, 11:39 AM
I finally got to see a new .44 FT yesterday. Beautiful! Wouldn't trade my "real" one but I'd sure like a new one too!

(Even if the barrel is too short!) [smilie=1:

Dennis

Saw the engraved .357 FT at the same time.....wow! So many nice sixguns, so little money.....sigh :???:

45 2.1
06-24-2006, 06:24 PM
Tony-
How does it shoot and feel with mags?

AnthonyB
06-24-2006, 07:07 PM
I haven't made it to the range yet, but hope to get there next weekend. I have a couple hundred bulk Rem 180 gr. JHPs loaded over 10.0 gr. of W231 for the first session, and will go to cast after that. I suspect that it will recoil right smartly with full loads, and will likely treat this one as a 44 Special for the majority of loads. The RCBS 44-250KHP at around 1200 fps will probably be where I end up, but getting there will be fun. I'll report back after the range session. Tony

Bucks Owin
06-25-2006, 11:36 AM
I haven't made it to the range yet, but hope to get there next weekend. I have a couple hundred bulk Rem 180 gr. JHPs loaded over 10.0 gr. of W231 for the first session, and will go to cast after that. I suspect that it will recoil right smartly with full loads, and will likely treat this one as a 44 Special for the majority of loads. The RCBS 44-250KHP at around 1200 fps will probably be where I end up, but getting there will be fun. I'll report back after the range session. Tony

I get 1450 fps with the RCBS 250K (actually weighs about 260 grs) over 22.0 grs of LilGun, 10" barrel. This load is very accurate with pressure below max...(in my gun!)

FWIW,

Dennis :Fire:

AnthonyB
06-25-2006, 07:35 PM
Dennis, I may be optimistic in handling the 44-250K at 1200 as a regular load, and suspect 1400ish will be out of the question. I have the Redhawk for the heavy loads, and think this will be the next step up from 45 ACP for me. A 250 at 1100-1200 should be a noticeable improvement over the 45's 230 at 900 without painful recoil. I am worried about that trigger guard... :) Tony

Bucks Owin
06-27-2006, 10:23 AM
Dennis, I may be optimistic in handling the 44-250K at 1200 as a regular load, and suspect 1400ish will be out of the question. I have the Redhawk for the heavy loads, and think this will be the next step up from 45 ACP for me. A 250 at 1100-1200 should be a noticeable improvement over the 45's 230 at 900 without painful recoil. I am worried about that trigger guard... :) Tony

You'll only get "bitten" by the triggerguard with stout loads and a loose grip. After a couple of painful encounters with the guard you'll find yourself making SURE you have a firm grip with that middle finger! :-D

In my case, I simply swapped triggerguards with an OM Single Six that I own. That gives an additional 1/8" of clearance which helps a lot with full tilt loads....

The 250K at 1200 fps is quite pleasant to shoot and not likely to "bite" your knuckle if you grip firmly...

FWIW,

Dennis

BTW, I suspect that my 10" barrel makes my gun come "back" more than "up" with it's extra weight out front. Your 6.5" model may not have as much tendency to 'bite"....