PDA

View Full Version : .357 Max (Supermag)

Bucks Owin
06-20-2006, 12:44 AM
I've got a line on a slightly used but like new 10" Ruger SBH .357 Maximum. (Might have to sell one of the kids but... [smilie=1: )

I've heard a lot of hoopla regarding top strap cutting with this round in wheelguns, both the Dan Wesson and the SBH. Besides having one for it's someday potential "collector" value, (I think there were 10K of them built) I'd like to put it to work shooting IHMSA. Anyone have any first hand experience with this round and sixgun? Is there a "life expectancy" as to number of silhouette type rounds and/or loading data that'll prolong it's life expectancy? I know full tilt pressures run around 48K...(!?!)

Thanks,

Dennis

Dye
06-20-2006, 01:59 AM
Bucks
I have a 357 Max in DW and the top strap cut a little and it don't seam to be cutting any more. MY ruger 44 has the top strap cut more than the 357 Max but it has a lot more rounds through it . I am using H-4227 and SR 4759 with a 210 LFN lbt AT ABOUT 1250 FPS. If you remenber in the late 60's and early 70's you needed a 500 grain solid core bullet at 2000fps to topple the rams but that has changed now. If you want it and can afford it, get it and enjoy it.

Be carefull Dye

Glen
06-20-2006, 10:18 AM
Top-strap cutting seems to only go so far and then stop. Also if you stick with "stick" powders (e.g. 4227) and minimize the use of ball powders, top-strap cutting is not an issue. For more details, see:

http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell357Max.htm

44man
06-20-2006, 01:23 PM
The biggest mistake I ever made was to sell my Ruger. I shot a 39 the first time out with it and I had no sight settings. I went to the shoot to get them. I guessed at the settings.
The top strap cutting does stop, only goes so deep and will not make the gun dangerous. I didn't have any with 4227.

Bucks Owin
06-20-2006, 04:45 PM
Just wondering, can garden variety .357 mag be fired in the Maximum chamber? Maybe, at least, the longer boolits, eg 180 gr? I can see where the short lil' pills like a 110/125 might "rattle around" in there....

Dennis

StarMetal
06-20-2006, 05:27 PM
Dennis,

Being both headspace off the rim, why not?

Joe

lar45
06-21-2006, 02:05 AM
Just wondering, can garden variety .357 mag be fired in the Maximum chamber? Maybe, at least, the longer boolits, eg 180 gr? I can see where the short lil' pills like a 110/125 might "rattle around" in there....

Dennis

I've shot some in mine and if memory serves me right, then it seems that it wasn't bad accuracy, but not as good as the 357 max. I tried some 38 specials and they went everywhere.
I also have a Silver Seville in 357 Max, 10.5", that has a gold inlaid IMSA logo on it.
This is the smoothest, best feeling revolver I have ever touched.

I bought the Ruger 357 max with the thought of having a 475 Linebaugh Long made. That never happened and I have a BFR in 475 now.
I picked up the Seville because it talked to me and said" dude, you will regret it if you walk out the door without me"
It seems that I remember something about a still small voice in Sunday school, and that it would help you in life. Maybe that is my inner voice and I should listen to it more often? I need some new safes first though.

fourarmed
06-21-2006, 11:28 AM
I tried cast loads in my wife's Ruger max using magnum cases. They shot very poorly. It was only one load, however.

Bucks Owin
06-21-2006, 01:42 PM
Dennis,

Being both headspace off the rim, why not?

Joe

I just wondered about shorter bullets having a "free flight" between the shorter case mouth and the throats if you follow my drift....

Dennis

I envy you that Seville Lar45! (And I'd be happy to "store" it for you if you're out of safe room... ;) ) BTW, I saw an "IMSHA Blackhawk" at gunbrokers recently.......cool!

StarMetal
06-21-2006, 01:47 PM
Dennis,

I knew that was what you were thinking. You know, not quite as long a jump, but shooting 45acp's out of my Ruger Blackhawk, the bullet has quite a ways to the barrel. Grant you it's throat size not the size the casing diameter would be but it sure shoots really really good.

I imagine with the right bullet 357 mags might be serviveable out of the Max chamber, but never a bullseye winner.

Joe

Bucks Owin
06-21-2006, 02:03 PM
Dennis,

I knew that was what you were thinking. You know, not quite as long a jump, but shooting 45acp's out of my Ruger Blackhawk, the bullet has quite a ways to the barrel. Grant you it's throat size not the size the casing diameter would be but it sure shoots really really good.

I imagine with the right bullet 357 mags might be serviveable out of the Max chamber, but never a bullseye winner.

Joe

OK, thanks Joe. I was think of shooting the Max ammo for silhouette and .357 mag for general plinking and target work thereby saving on Max cases. Sounds like that idea is a "maybe"....

Dennis

lar45
06-22-2006, 02:29 AM
OK, thanks Joe. I was think of shooting the Max ammo for silhouette and .357 mag for general plinking and target work thereby saving on Max cases. Sounds like that idea is a "maybe"....

Dennis
I think I would be worried about a ring in the chambers at the end of the mag or special cases. Brains not working tonight(lack or proper words)
Same as shooting 45 colts from a 454 and the 454 cases getting stuck on the corrosion or dirty spot, blah blah blah. You know what I'm trying to say. Don't know if it's a problem or not?

It sure is tempting to shoot 38 specials for plinkers when you can get 2000 rounds of brass for $40 ish

I know what you need(brain flash) send it off to Bowen or Clements... and have a new cylinder made up in 38 special or 357 mag, then you won't have to worry about the big jump. but with the money spent, you could just get a couple of nice used Black hawks in 357. I saw a pretty nice one the other day for $210. I should have grabbed it. I went back 3 days later and the shop was out of business. I guess maybe I should read the newspaper or something?

here's a pic of my 357 max Seville. It's a file copy from my old camera, so the resolution isn't the best.
http://www.lsstuff.com/temp/seville-357.jpg
I also picked up a Sheriff's model(?) with 4.5" bbl in 45 Colt. I haven't found much written with any detail about the variations. One guy said my barrel length was wrong for the Sheriff's model or it was supposed to have a different grip frame? It sure is nice to shoot though. Cases that have been shot in my Ruger, won't fit this gun even after sizeing, so I have to keep seperate boxes of ammo for them.
http://www.lsstuff.com/temp/seville-45colt.jpg

Bucks Owin
06-22-2006, 01:38 PM
Hey Lar45, those are some gorgeous hoglegs for sure! That Seville is to die for and I like the "Sheriff's Model" too. Would make a easy packin' self defense gun looks like...

Here's a photo of a homebrewed .45 Colt "Bellygun" complete with earsplitting little tube, cut down brass gripframe and Bisley hammer...

Dennis

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a356/BucksOwin/.jpg