PDA

View Full Version : Liquid Xlox Lube vs. Alox

TORCHrider
02-24-2010, 12:24 PM
I just purchased some Liquid Xlox Lube from fleabay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Liquid-Xlox-Cast-Bullet-Lube-NEW-32-oz-bottle-Wht-lbl_W0QQitemZ220557679412QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_Def aultDomain_0?hash=item335a431b34

Is this stuff the same as liquid Alox? I believe the ad says it is. Can I use it the same way that liquid Alox is used with Johnsons paste wax in the sticky on this forum? Has anyone used it?

357maximum
02-24-2010, 12:49 PM
Same product same source. Someone just got their panties in a bunch when Glenn was using the right name so he changed it.

Wayne S
02-24-2010, 12:52 PM
YES,YES and YES and read the sticky several times espically about the hazards of reducing the JPW

selmerfan
02-24-2010, 01:21 PM
Wayne, I don't see the sticky on JPW - where is it?

sheepdog
02-24-2010, 01:22 PM
Just fyi that auction is Lar 45. Its .50 cents cheaper to buy it on the website ;)

sheepdog
02-24-2010, 01:24 PM
YES,YES and YES and read the sticky several times espically about the hazards of reducing the JPW

Theres a hazard to using 45/45/10? Pray-tel this hazard you speak of.

selmerfan
02-24-2010, 01:46 PM
I would imagine it has to do with fumes from melting the JPW over heat.

mold maker
02-24-2010, 02:01 PM
JPW fumes are just mineral spirits unless you way over heat, and break the wax down.

Recluse
02-24-2010, 02:06 PM
I would imagine it has to do with fumes from melting the JPW over heat.

Actually, it's the flashpoint of JPW that you need to be careful with.

No big deal, just keep your heat reasonable and like when dealing with ANY flammable substance, have a fire extinguisher handy.

Knock on wood, but I've never had JPW flash on me yet.

:coffee:

RobS
02-24-2010, 03:08 PM

http://cgi.ebay.com/Liquid-Xlox-Cast-Bullet-Lube-NEW-32-oz-bottle-Wht-lbl_W0QQitemZ220557679412QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_Def aultDomain_0?hash=item335a431b34

Is this stuff the same as liquid Alox? I believe the ad says it is. Can I use it the same way that liquid Alox is used with Johnsons paste wax in the sticky on this forum? Has anyone used it?

At the bottom of the page here (scroll all the way down) there is "Lar45's LsStuff" which is a direct link to Glenn's home page should you not want to go through ebay. His Xlox is the same lube, but much cheaper than Lee Alox and can be mixed with JPW the exact same way.

DLCTEX
02-24-2010, 03:09 PM
If you reduce it over an open flame do it in a pot that has a tight fitting lid handy to smother any flames that may occur. Not a bad idea with an electric heat source. I heat it in a microwave. Get a cheap microwave for this use or you may get flamed by the wife.

geargnasher
02-24-2010, 03:16 PM
I just leave my JPW can outdoors with the lid off on a sunny day and all the excess solvent dries out, leaving crumbly chunks behind. No overheating worries there. Use a double boiler to melt it into the LLA/Xlox, then when it cools to room temperature I adjust the consistency with paint thinner.

Or...... you can skip the bs and just mix straight, fresh JPW with your LLA over GENTLE heat and it ends up about right. The mineral spirits is just a carrier, it evaporates off the tumbled boolits just as well as it does on the stove or in the sun, since you have to add it back anyway. The point is that if using dried JPW to blend with the LLA you have better contol over the final consistency.

Gear

Shiloh
02-24-2010, 04:15 PM

You can purchase it right off this forum. Go below to the bottom of the page. Look for the Shootin' Links Banner. Lar45's LsStuff

That would be our very own Glenn Larson. Great guy to deal with who sells wonderful lubes. I use them exclusively. Love his BAC and XLOX

Shiloh