PDA

View Full Version : How long will lee liquid alox stay good on loaded rounds?

bpg76
02-24-2010, 09:20 AM
I have about 900 rounds of 38 special with the lee 148gr tl wadcutter i loaded for my wife in august of 2007.she used to shoot more than i could keep up with but she got pregnant and didnt want to shoot anymore and i got cancer.how long will the lube stay good?they have been kept in a closet inside the house.

wiljen
02-24-2010, 09:54 AM
basically indefinitely. As long as they are kept below a temp where it melts off, they aint gonna change much if at all over time.

bpg76
02-24-2010, 10:08 AM
thanks.glad to hear that

Shiloh
02-24-2010, 11:17 AM
I have some that are 8 years old. Same boolit. These got misplaced and wintered in the garage for a couple of years. Not recommended to subject to temp changes, but fired some last year they were fine. If it ever warms up here, -6 this AM, I'll shoot the rest and report. Not anticipating any issues though.

Shiloh

sheepdog
02-24-2010, 12:09 PM
I've heard if the boolits are kept in an air tight container or baggie they keep better.

geargnasher
02-24-2010, 03:08 PM
LLA coated boolits last virtually forever if you keep them sealed from the air.

Gear

Shiloh
02-24-2010, 04:19 PM
LLA coated boolits last virtually forever if you keep them sealed from the air.

Gear

They last forever if you don't seal them. They just attract dust, dirt, pet hair, and get absolutely disgusting. I've made that mistake. :groner:
Sure wouldn't want to run them through a barrel in that condition.
I highly recommend a sealed container.

Shiloh

mdi
02-24-2010, 05:03 PM
I remember seeing a photo of a Alox coated bullet being heated with a propane tourch. The Alox didn't melt but the lead did. I keep mine in cheap food storage square containers to keep dust etc. from getting on the boolits...

Shiloh
02-24-2010, 06:50 PM
Any container keeps household dander, dust fuzzies, workshop debris of is acceptable.
I thought the ones I let get fouled would need a trip to an auto-body shop parts washer.

Soaking in a sealed container of mineral spirits to cover, then rinsed with clean mineral spirits took care of it. Re-aloxed and they're fine.

lawhetzel
02-24-2010, 07:56 PM
I doubt that normal storage conditions would have any affect at all on the alox lubed bullets or loaded rounds. I use this stuff exclusively. I have bullets that were lubed several years ago which work fine when they are loaded into new rounds and loaded rounds that were put together over two years ago which I shot last fall. In all cases they worked fine with no barrel leading or change in velocity. IIRC, this stuff was originally used to lubricate aviation control cables and enclosed areas in airplanes where rust could be a problem.

Tom W.
02-25-2010, 07:51 AM
I'm only 57.... ask me again in about ten more years....:kidding: