PDA

View Full Version : Installing a butt pad

Robert Lehman
02-23-2010, 10:41 PM
When cutting the stock for a but pad what do you square the cut to? I looked at a few of my rifles and shot guns but could not see any similarity would you square it to the bore or just what feel and fits good.
I am working on a new stock that was made for my Mauser and the stock didn't have a finish but on it is why i am asking.

Robert

waksupi
02-24-2010, 12:42 AM
Robert, shut your eyes, and mount the rifle. When you open your eyes, you should be looking directly down the sights. If pointed up, or down, adjust the angle so it mounts naturally with you looking at the sights.

Welcome aboard, by the way!

JIMinPHX
02-24-2010, 03:56 AM
I watched a guy down in Miami fit a pad to the stock of a rather high dollar shotgun once. He had some sort of special hang jig that generated all the correct angles along the edges of the pad so that they matched up correctly with the stock. It was kind of a neat little set up. That jig, a coping saw & a belt sander were all that he used. He did a beautiful job in about 20 minutes. I assume that he bought the jig from Brownells or someplace like that, but I don't know for sure. For all I know, he could have made it himself.

stubshaft
02-24-2010, 06:47 AM
Cut the stock square to the bore. The product Jim is talking about is called a recoil pad fitting jig and is stilll sold by Brownells. It is made to be attached to a disc sander. The stock is traced onto the recoil pad and the jig is adjusted to the length of pull (trigger to heel of stock) it insures that the toe of the pad matches the angle of the stock.

fourarmed
02-24-2010, 01:05 PM
I have to disagree with stubshaft on this. Perpendicular to the bore is zero pitch, and that is not enough for a stock with a normal amount of drop. Maybe it would be OK on an extremely straight stock such as an AR, but on a typical rifle or shotgun stock, I find that perpendicular to the comb of the stock is about right as a rule of thumb.

Robert Lehman
02-24-2010, 01:29 PM
Thanks guys for your help. I am going to try what Waksupi said since i don't have any special jigs and this will probably be a one time deal.