PDA

View Full Version : New Reloader

Luper
02-23-2010, 10:25 PM
I intend to begin reloading for my Hi-Point carbine in 9mm Luger. I plan on getting the reloader press combo because it also come with a good reloading manual from midway for 32 dollars. The last thing iI really need is a good die set, any suggestions or comments on equipment I plan on using. Thanks.

Oh and yes I will be using:cbpour:

buck1
02-23-2010, 11:13 PM
Get the lymon reloading manual I love it and the more you get the better off you are. I recomend RCBS equipment highly others work, but RCBS is the benchmark so to speak. I do not load the 9mm but I hear seating depth is critical on it. Above all...READ,READ,READ.
.........Buck

Firebricker
02-24-2010, 11:37 AM
I like RCBS dies but I would suggest starting out with a Lee 4 die set. The Lee pistol sets are a lot of bang for the buck and will give you good ammo. FB

Gary51
02-24-2010, 01:29 PM
Whatever brand dies you decide on, do yourself a favor and spring the extra $ for a carbide sizing die set. I like RCBS, Lyman, Hornady and CH myself.

Recluse
02-24-2010, 02:22 PM
I like RCBS dies but I would suggest starting out with a Lee 4 die set. The Lee pistol sets are a lot of bang for the buck and will give you good ammo. FB

Agree.

In fact, I haven't really used a set of dies that I didn't like or that didn't do the job. Some work better for me than others depending on what bullet or boolit I'm loading, so over time, you may find yourself with quite the collection of reloading dies.

Above all, read the manual! 90% of your questions will be answered in it and by following the advice and instructions, you will be safe.

Too many new reloaders rely on the good graces of internet forum members to guide them from start to finish. Almost every reloading manual out there explains, in detail, what the process is and why it is necessary and so forth.

The other 10% of questions can easily be answered here.

:coffee:

cumminsnut76
02-24-2010, 07:11 PM
I second on the Lyman Loading Manual. If you are going to load cast boolits you need that manual as it has more cast boolit loads than any other book that I have and there is a difference in loads for J-word bullets and cast boolits so look to see what you can and can't do. And above all--Have Fun

02-24-2010, 07:15 PM
Lyman all the way and read it twice! Enjoy the loading!

Luper
02-24-2010, 07:55 PM
okay so im on a minimalist budget so im probably going to get mostly lee i heard and read its pretty good quality and made in wisconsin so ya lee and once i recover from the initial spending i get the lyman book or maybe i should just get it as my first..
thanks again for the help best forum ive seen online

docone31
02-24-2010, 08:21 PM
I have had no negative issues with Lee anything.
When you consider they are aluminum/precision items, if you treat them like that, they sing.
The Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook is great reading. I learned a lot from mine. The photomicrography was excellent.

Le Loup Solitaire
02-25-2010, 01:26 AM
You've been given good advice so far on loading manuals and reading material. As for dies, all major brands of dies do a good job and despite hype and claims no die set from one manufacturer does a better job than another. Pretty much the same for the presses. For 9 mm I too would suggest carbide. Lube every 4th or 5 th case as it makes the sizing easier, is easier on the cases and the dies. A sizer die with carbide is probably good for a million. On 9 mm seating watch the seating depth as changing it deeper can make the pressure jump out of bounds. This can occur if the taper crimp is not strong enough and/or the bullet when the round is fed, gets driven deeper even just a little. It has also occurred when 9 mmm brass has been loaded several times and the brass case has lost some of its "spring" so that it is not gripping the bullet as tightly. Its a "demon" hiding in the grass and definitely worth being aware of as it has cracked many a slide or caused other grief. Good luck on your new press and setup. LLS

Luper
02-25-2010, 05:46 PM
will seating depth be that critical if you intend to shoot them out off a carbine gaged in at +P

Mk42gunner
02-25-2010, 07:13 PM
will seating depth be that critical if you intend to shoot them out off a carbine gaged in at +P

In a word, yes. The one thing you have to keep in mind is that the 9mm is a very small capacity case. If you work up a good load then seat the bullet deeper, chamber pressures will rise, sometimes dangerously.

Robert

02-25-2010, 07:42 PM
Luper,

Start with what you can afford, or feel gives you the best value for your money.

Every caster and reloader will have some sort of issue with a product from any manufacturer. It's no different than with any other product made by a number of companies.

All reloaders should have two manuals, at the very least. In addition to Lee's manual (which will come with your press) I recommend getting Lyman's "Reloading Handbook", or their "Cast Bullet Handbook" if you will be shooting lead.

largom
02-25-2010, 08:05 PM
Get the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook first.Read and study it, then make up your own mind as to what brand of loading equipment you want. You might even check your local library for handloading books.

Larry