PDA

View Full Version : Lyman/Ideal 310 help

ktw
06-19-2006, 10:35 PM
I've had it in the back of my mind to pick up a 310 tool and dies some day for one or more of 30-30, 45 colt, 32 H&R, etc. I am aware of the 310 shop, but making the purchase hasn't been a high priority.

I'm on the road this week and one of the gun shops here in the town I'm staying in has a 'pile of old stuff' that includes a number of 310 dies sets, a couple of 310 handles and a Trueline Jr turret press. Not all of it is well labled or even priced.

I picked up what appears to be a packed in cosmoline, complete 5 die set plus shell holder for the 45 colt for $16.50. The owner wasn't in today and the sales guys wasn't up to dickering over the unpriced items. I'm interested in going back later this week for either the Trueline Jr or a set of the tong handles, possibly a two-die? 30-30 set.

I haven't had much luck tonight turning up a die set reference or 310 tool instructions on the internet. I was wondering if one of you might have a scanned copy. It would be a lot easier to evaluate what was there if I had some kind of reference showing me what a complete die set consisted of for the various calibers and what the functions of each die in the set was.

-ktw

Swagerman
06-19-2006, 11:27 PM
ktw, I looked in past threads here on Lyman 310 dies, this might be a lead for you. This fellow seems to have a list on some of the old 310 dies.

Jim

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

See if you guys can see this list that is in my files area on Yahoo.

http://us.f2.yahoofs.com/bc/35f75e5e...3hRxCBlSlPrU_e

woody1
06-20-2006, 12:00 AM
I've had it in the back of my mind to pick up a 310 tool and dies some day for one or more of 30-30, 45 colt, 32 H&R, etc. I am aware of the 310 shop, but making the purchase hasn't been a high priority.

I'm on the road this week and one of the gun shops here in the town I'm staying in has a 'pile of old stuff' that includes a number of 310 dies sets, a couple of 310 handles and a Trueline Jr turret press. Not all of it is well labled or even priced.

I picked up what appears to be a packed in cosmoline, complete 5 die set plus shell holder for the 45 colt for $16.50. The owner wasn't in today and the sales guys wasn't up to dickering over the unpriced items. I'm interested in going back later this week for either the Trueline Jr or a set of the tong handles, possibly a two-die? 30-30 set.

I haven't had much luck tonight turning up a die set reference or 310 tool instructions on the internet. I was wondering if one of you might have a scanned copy. It would be a lot easier to evaluate what was there if I had some kind of reference showing me what a complete die set consisted of for the various calibers and what the functions of each die in the set was.

-ktw
I have scans of the Ideal Quick Reference Chart. 2 pages. How do I get them to you? Regards, Woody

woody1
06-20-2006, 12:00 AM

-ktw
I have scans of the Ideal Quick Reference Chart. 2 pages. How do I get them to you? Regards, Woody

ktw
06-20-2006, 12:15 AM

ktw at solaria dot sol dot net

I appreciate it.

And thanks for the reply swagerman. Unfortunately, that link does not work for me (access prohibited by YAHOO)

-ktw

floodgate
06-20-2006, 01:24 AM
ktw:

...and I have a handy little cheat sheet from Lyman with instructions for use of the later 4-die set (which combines decapping and neck resizing in a single die, but the process is basically the same). PM me an s-mail address and I will make a copy and get it off to you tomorrow. (I'd offer to scan it, but with dial-up it takes forever to send, and the quality is poor.)

There's also a good writeup on the 310 tool, its history and operation in the 1995 14th Edition "Handloaders Digest", pp. 128-136, if you have a copy of that issue handy.

For the .45 Colt you will want the "small" handles with the shorter die-thread nozzle; the .30-30 will require the "large / long" handles with the longer nozzle. At those prices, get both sets of handles, and any the complete die sets for other cartridges you want to load for.

The Tru-Line Jr. press started out by using the 310 dies, but the later version with the two-piece linkage (a straight, blued metal link driving a second, L-shaped link on each side) used dies having full-length sizing capability for pistol cases and shorter rifle cases like the .222 family, the .22 Hornet, etc. They take a special shell-holder, but you can get an adapter from Lyman that takes RCBS-type ones. The priming system is pretty poor on these, but priming separately in the 310 tool gives you a chance to inspect and clean pockets as I prefer to do.

Doug Elliott / floodgate

Four Fingers of Death
06-20-2006, 04:38 AM
I have two pairs of handles I picked up with 30/30 dies some years ago and a lagre set of handles with 45/70 dies I bought off someone on this board.

I also picked up a set of dies for the 38/357 magnum. Will these be useable with the handles that I use to load the 30/30?

PS, I love these tools.

They are easy to use, the dies are similar to the larger dies and the same principles apply to larger dies and presses.

Mick.

ktw
06-20-2006, 09:20 AM
I have two pairs of handles I picked up with 30/30 dies some years ago

How many 310 dies consitute a full 30-30 set? I was assuming it was 4 or 5, depending on age, but given that it's a bottleneck cartridge I'm really not sure.

Not all of the sets I'm looking at are complete. Given the level of my knowledge of the 310 tools at this point it's kind of hard to tell what's missing and what's not.

-ktw

woody1
06-20-2006, 10:15 AM
How many 310 dies consitute a full 30-30 set? I was assuming it was 4 or 5, depending on age, but given that it's a bottleneck cartridge I'm really not sure.

Not all of the sets I'm looking at are complete. Given the level of my knowledge of the 310 tools at this point it's kind of hard to tell what's missing and what's not.

-ktw
My 30-30 set has (1) decapper, (2) priming chamber (3) muzzle resizer [MR],(4) muzzle expander [M die type], and (5) DA [double adjustable] chamber. There's lots of die sets, later ones, that have the decapper and MR dies combined. There's also die sets that will say truline/310 that have no priming chamber, thus will be 3 die sets, ie MR/decapper + expander die + DA (seater). Almost forgot this...you'll also need an adapter die numbered (usually) the same as the priming die to adapt the handles to each different sized case. For 30-30 you'll need a number 6. Regards, Woody

floodgate
06-20-2006, 11:41 AM
mick:

The whole subjest of 310 and Tru-Line Jr. dies and fittings is very complex; but for a quick answer, IF you have a little #1 screw-in adapter for the .38 / .357, and both of your handle sets are the "long" variety, you can trim the "nozzle" of one back about 3/8" until the pistol dies work OK. The "long" nozzle measures 1.425" from the inside of the handle to the outer end; the "shorts" mike 1.050". But try them first; isf the dies have long enough threads, you may get the pistol dies to work in the existing handle(s).

floodgate

trooperdan
06-20-2006, 11:45 AM
As Floodgate said, he is 'da man" when it comes to this old Lyman stuff. Just wanted to add about the adapter needed for each caliber; it is the most often missing part of a set of 310 dies. It is nothing more than a small threaded ring that screws into the handles to guide the base of the case. You'll see the threaded recess in the handles where it sits. The number needed is the same as the number of the primeing adapter

ktw
06-20-2006, 04:43 PM
What I currently have purchased:

1) 5 die 45 colt set with correct adapter ring ($16.50)
2) 4 die 257 Roberts set, with what I assume to be a correct shellholder (came with #3)
3) a used trueline jr (single toggle linkage) ($35)
4) box labled 30-30 die set containing 2 dies and a decapping pin assembly ($10). One of these appears to be a seater die for 30-30, I'm not sure what the other is yet - best guess from the references I have on hand are a seating die for 219 Zipper.

What's still there:

1) two usable 310 handle sets (dk gray, heavy) ($35 apiece)
2) Almost unused trueline Jr (double toggle linkage) ($65)
3) Die set boxes for 308 Win, 243 Win, 22 High Power, 38 Spcl - no guarantees on whats inside.
4) wide assortment of the pound in full-length sizing dies
5) good assortment of the adpater rings in 8-10 different sizes

I'm calling dibs on the second trueline but if there is anything else there that someone has been looking for for a long time, I should be able to make one more trip back there before the end of this week.

-ktw

floodgate
06-20-2006, 06:17 PM
ktw:

My advice stands; see what he'll take for it all, and we can divvy it up here. PM coming.

floodgate

trooperdan
06-20-2006, 07:26 PM
I'm kinda a 310 fan myself; I'd be willing to pitch in to help buy the whole lot. Don't know how we could divvy it up fairly though! :) Looks like I better check my 'stash and see what I "need" so I can make my want list!

ktw
06-20-2006, 09:38 PM
I will go back sometime in the next couple of days and see what it will take to buy the whole lot. If it is 'reasonable" (i.e. a decent discount on the per piece prices) I will take the whole ball of wax.

I can front the deal, but I will be buying it under the assumption that some of you will be taking some of it off my hands (swap or cost plus shipping) and that I can move much of the un-needed remainder to someone like the 310 shop.

-ktw

Four Fingers of Death
06-20-2006, 11:24 PM
Right! Thats what that piece is that I couldn't figure out, the adaptor. I have only had two tools previously that came with the dies, this is the first time that I have bought separate dies. Mick.

DEVERS454
06-28-2006, 11:37 AM
I still use my old set of 310 dies for loading 44-40 with black powder.

I have my set for 357/38 that I use for "workup" loads where I don't need to full length resize. (although, I do have the FLR as well as M die and bullet sizer... COMPLETE SET!!! Wish I had one for 45lc)

My dad's tru-line Jr. is up at the cabin with 38 dies and a set of 30-30. He has a full lenght resizer for the 30-30 as well.

preventec47
06-03-2010, 02:29 PM
This is a real old thread but with info that will always be current.
Does anyone today know where any Lyman 310 dies and shell holders
reference charts are on the internet anywhere ?

Seveal years ago some guys here had scanned the material but I
dont know where it may be currently

I just bought a Lyman TruLine Jr press and got a bunch of die
components and have no idea what caliber they are for etc.

Thanks

Green Frog
06-03-2010, 02:44 PM
Go to the bottom of the page here and click on the Castpics box. It will take you to a new contents type page, and on the left side in the list you will see reference to the 310 die sets. There are actually two links, one to a scan from an old Ideal Handbook with a lot of the numbers you might need and a second that is from a list I put together for the American Single Shot Rifle Association Journal several years ago. Drop me an e-mail or PM if you need any further help or info. :coffeecom

Regards,
Froggie

ktw
06-03-2010, 03:26 PM
This is a real old thread...

Thanks for bringing it back up.

In the four, short years since starting the thread I've managed to acquire a total of 4 TLJr Presses, 310 die sets for 12 different cartridges and 8 pairs of 310 handles.

-ktw

preventec47
06-03-2010, 09:15 PM
I found the info and it was very helpful.. I did a screen capture of
all the HTML formatted data and am attaching it here as a JPG
image. If we are lucky, the full size of the original file will be preserved
If not, then someone tell me where we can place the file ie much like
the scanned pamphlet and I will forward the image file along
Thanks - See attached image
Scott

preventec47
06-03-2010, 09:17 PM
I just looked at the uploaded file and the system has shrunk it by
about half. Moderator please contact me and I will forward directly
so it can be put in the archives area.
Thanks
Scott

ktw
06-03-2010, 11:52 PM
CastPics, the place you got it from, IS the archive area for this forum.

preventec47
06-04-2010, 04:59 AM
CastPics, the place you got it from, IS the archive area for this forum.

Yes of course it is. But I cannot upload to it. Can you? I need the
email of whoever can.

Green Frog
06-04-2010, 07:38 AM
Thanks for bringing it back up.

In the four, short years since starting the thread I've managed to acquire a total of 4 TLJr Presses, 310 die sets for 12 different cartridges and 8 pairs of 310 handles.

-ktw

C'mon, Ken! Surely you can get more than that accumulated in four years! [smilie=2: You're not trying hard enough! ;)

Your buddy,
the Green Frog :mrgreen:

preventec47
06-04-2010, 08:25 AM
C'mon, Ken! Surely you can get more than that accumulated in four years! [smilie=2: You're not trying hard enough! ;)
:mrgreen:

Thats only an average of one press and two pliers per year. What a Slacker !

There are at least four Tru-Line Jr presses at GunBroker and EBAY as we
speak as I didnt want to hog them all.

Also RCBS Jr, and RCBS-2, and a Texan presses among others that I
know nothing about. Didnt someone say the RCBS Jr presses also take
310 dies ?

scrapcan
06-04-2010, 09:32 AM
No the rcbs jr takes 7/8x14 dies.

Green Frog
06-04-2010, 09:37 PM
No the rcbs jr takes 7/8x14 dies.

Virtually any press can be made to hold 310 tool dies with the addition of a simple adapter. The nice folks at Lyman still make the one for the 310 to 7/8 X 14, Herter made one for their oversized turret opening, and I even got ambitious and made one for the Lyman Comet (with the oversized hole for shotgun loader.) [smilie=w:

For some of us, reloading is a means to an end, for others the search and the struggle is a big part of the enjoyment. Sure I could do it another way, but what fun is that? :roll: ANYBODY can do that, almost as easily as buying factory ammo! :kidding: For a real challenge try making cartridges that haven't been factory loaded for at least 50 to 100 years on equipment that is the same age or older. :wink: Sometimes it's not the destination, it's the trip! [smilie=2:

Froggie

ktw
06-05-2010, 12:45 AM
Thats only an average of one press and two pliers per year. What a Slacker !

There are at least four Tru-Line Jr presses at GunBroker and EBAY as we
speak as I didnt want to hog them all.

I would feel bad about bidding up the price on them and possibly depriving someone else of the opportunity of using them. ;) Besides, they tend to find me without my actively having to go out and pursue them.

I believe the maintainer of cast pics is wiljen. If not, he should be able to point you to the person who is.

-ktw

matrics631
10-02-2011, 09:48 PM
Is this the type of 310 sets that you are collecting?

http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/307696_558757375107_152600384_31370196_3499981_n.j pg

wiljen
10-04-2011, 09:01 AM
Yes of course it is. But I cannot upload to it. Can you? I need the
email of whoever can.

I can - shoot it to me at Webmaster(AT)Castpics.net and I'll add it.

wiljen
10-04-2011, 09:04 AM
Is this the type of 310 sets that you are collecting?

This makes twice I have seen what look like thinly veiled attempts to circumvent the selling rules - let it be the last time I see that.