I run 1 lead cloth (WIPE AWAY) patch
yellow patch comes out black
bristle brush to sweep out the loose stuff

12 clean patches till they almost look clean

I am getting bore cleaning elbow

So who has the record # number of patches

RayinNH
02-23-2010, 08:57 PM
Is your barrel a smoothbore yet? I have some milsurp rifles that I could clean "till" doomsday as well. Relatively clean patches come out and then one pass of the old bore brush and the whole thing is a mess again. I now stop when the patches look reasonably clean and call it a day...Ray

sagacious
02-23-2010, 08:57 PM
No bristle brush to sweep out the loose stuff?

DCP
02-23-2010, 09:03 PM
No bristle brush to sweep out the loose stuff?

Yes

see 1st post again

How could I have forgot that

DCP
02-23-2010, 09:14 PM
Is your barrel a smoothbore yet? I have some milsurp rifles that I could clean "till" doomsday as well. Relatively clean patches come out and then one pass of the old bore brush and the whole thing is a mess again. I now stop when the patches look reasonably clean and call it a day...Ray

The bore has nice rifling not smooth yet and it is Milsurp 91/30

I slug it and the 1st slug came out .305 and the slug was smooth no rifling

Its now .3125 with rifling at the breech and .313 at the muzzle

AZ-Stew
02-23-2010, 09:16 PM
If the "lead cloth" is a mild abrasive, the patch will ALWAYS come out black. Just as a clean, white cloth will turn black when using silver polish on the family tea service, a small (really small) amount of metal is being removed and will show up as a black stain the patch. I confirmed this with Brownell's tech support. I was getting the same results with JB Bore Paste on an almost brand new barrel. I had cleaned it as near to bare metal as I could using Montana X-Treme bore solvent and Copper Killer and couldn't figure out why my following patches coated with JB were still coming out black.

If after you run your "lead cloth" through the bore, you can pass a few patches coated with Hoppe's #9 through and get a relatively clean patch, you're done. Follow up with a lightly oiled patch to prevent rust because you've cleaned the barrel down to bare steel which will rust quickly.

Regards,

Stew

sagacious
02-23-2010, 09:33 PM
1st slug came out .305 and the slug was smooth no rifling
Its now .3125 with rifling at the breech and .313 at the muzzle

Well you're making progress! :)

You may wish to consider posting your recipe and loading specs so folks can troubleshoot the cause of the leading. May save you from a new patch record! :drinks:

DCP
02-23-2010, 09:37 PM
Well you're making progress! :)

You may wish to consider posting your recipe and loading specs so folks can troubleshoot the cause of the leading. May save you from a new patch record! :drinks:

It was a used rifle

I haven't fired it yet

I am going to make gallery loads or cat sneeze loads for it

DCP
02-23-2010, 09:45 PM
If the "lead cloth" is a mild abrasive, the patch will ALWAYS come out black. Just as a clean, white cloth will turn black when using silver polish on the family tea service, a small (really small) amount of metal is being removed and will show up as a black stain the patch. I confirmed this with Brownell's tech support. I was getting the same results with JB Bore Paste on an almost brand new barrel. I had cleaned it as near to bare metal as I could using Montana X-Treme bore solvent and Copper Killer and couldn't figure out why my following patches coated with JB were still coming out black.

If after you run your "lead cloth" through the bore, you can pass a few patches coated with Hoppe's #9 through and get a relatively clean patch, you're done. Follow up with a lightly oiled patch to prevent rust because you've cleaned the barrel down to bare steel which will rust quickly.

Regards,

Stew

This would explain why the bore looked clean for the last 150 paches

THANK YOU SO MUCH
I have to go now and ICE my elbows

44man
02-24-2010, 10:05 AM

Regards,

Stew
This is the answer. The black is STEEL, not lead. Lead out cloth is ABRASIVE.

leadman
02-24-2010, 12:21 PM
I'm at the point physically (arthritis) that I don't scrub bores much. I rely on the Hoppe's #9 to do the work.
I run several patches with bore brushing included, then a wet patch of Hoppe's. Let set a couple hours, a couple patches, more waiting. Repeat as needed.

If it is a "new" gun I'll hook up the Outers foul-out to clean it.

Wayne Smith
02-24-2010, 01:04 PM
With milsurps and old, used guns I tend to alternate between lead wipe away and copper solvent in cleaning.

The Double D
02-24-2010, 02:18 PM
Take an old wore out bore brush and wrap it with 0000 steel wool and run it through the bore, preferably the first time dry. Look and see if any debris is pulled out.

You aren't going hurt anything doing this if the bore is as fouled as you say.

After the first pass add some Hoppe's No. 9 to the steel wool and scrub the nasty stuff out!

AZ-Stew
02-24-2010, 03:02 PM
This would explain why the bore looked clean for the last 150 paches

THANK YOU SO MUCH
I have to go now and ICE my elbows

Look at the bright side. You now have a nicely hand-lapped barrel.

Regards,

Stew

inuhbad
02-24-2010, 04:50 PM
Look at the bright side. You now have a nicely hand-lapped barrel.

Regards,

Stew

LOL!!! [smilie=l:

That's some funny stuff right there!

I tend to prefer to remove any wood stock/grips, plug one end of the barrel, and fill it with acetone... Let sit for 3-5 minutes, pour it back into a jar for reusing later... Then I run a bronze bore brush through to get the leading out.

Repeat if there's still visible deposits in the bore. Otherwise I'll clean with hoppes & patches after the acetone until they're clean.

smlekid
02-24-2010, 04:52 PM
if it was mine I'd be running some sweets 7.62 solvent through it now and see how much copper gets pulled out
Sweets is excellent for getting any copper out if the barrel is showing signs of copper fouling another trick is to pour boiling water through the barrel using a funnel then hit it with sweets you will be amazed at the gunk you will get out

chris in va
02-24-2010, 04:55 PM
Ha...good luck with the old Mosins. I spent two hours on my M38 and the patch STILL came out black.