PDA

View Full Version : NEF and H&R single shot rifles.

45-70 Chevroner
02-23-2010, 07:15 PM
I have been considering getting one of these rifles probably a 22 Hornet or 223 or maybe something larger. The only problem I can see is having to send it back each time I want to add a new barrel to the collection. Is this a problem as this is what I have been reading on this site? Also are the NEF and H&R barrels interchangable? I have been shooting Contenders for a long time and have never had a problem. The thing with the contenders is the cost of new barrels.

Doc Highwall
02-23-2010, 07:34 PM
One thing I like the contender better and if you look for used barrels I think you will get a better deal. As far as 22 cal I think you will have less problems with a 223 Remington over the 22 Hornet because of the barrel twist you are limited to boolits of 40-45 grains in the Hornet.

45-70 Chevroner
02-23-2010, 07:55 PM
Truthfully the only one that looks interseting is the BC 45-70 and I already have two a sharps and Ped. roller.

leadman
02-23-2010, 08:13 PM
There is a good section over on Greybeard Outdoors about what barrels fit what recievers.
I also posted here on the thread that Bullshop Junior started on Selling & Swapping.

Jeff.L
03-01-2010, 11:18 PM
I picked up a NEF Survival Rifle in 357mag only shot it a couple of times but its doing quite well with cast boolits... Jeff

northmn
03-02-2010, 09:42 AM
I never got too excited about a collection of barrels for the NEF rifles. A NEF rifle complete costs less than a barrel for an Encore. While I do not have one now, I found them to be durable and fair knockabout rifles.

Northmn

exile
03-02-2010, 09:49 AM
Jeff, what is a "survival rifle"? It is a different configuration? Sounds interesting.

exile

mroliver77
03-02-2010, 05:43 PM
I have a few NEF/H&R rifles and like them. The barrels do need fitted to each reciever. I dont like that and think it could be improved upon but it is what it is and the price works. One can fit their own barrel if they are handy. It is not brain surgery. I know some guys though that if they did their own I would want to be far away when it was fired.
Jay

NickSS
03-03-2010, 02:46 AM
I own several handy rifles and a few extra barrels. I got three extra barrels fitted to one action by the factory but then decided to use them on different frames. The barrels i got fit on my different frames with no problems except on required a little light stoning of the locking area to get better engagement of the locking lug. So now I have three rifles with two barrels each. I have an ultra hunter fitted with a bull barrel 223 and a bull barrel 308. A regular handy with a 357 mag and a 45-70 barrel this is my iron sight gun. My last action has a 243 barrel and a 45/410 barrel.