PDA

View Full Version : Mamma's New Sig

j20owner
02-23-2010, 07:11 PM
Finally got around to getting the wife a small PP gun. She originally wanted a Kimber Aegis Ultra, but being unable to find one, combined with a near $1300 price tag, we decided to go another route.

We got an American Rifleman mag a month or so ago that had small reviews of several .380ACP 'pocket pistols'. One, the Sig P238 really piqued her interest. We made a trip to several G.S.'s and found one who stocked them. We ended up coming home with one.

http://hphotos-snc3.fbcdn.net/hs217.snc3/22434_320491687187_664202187_3465443_1448632_n.jpg

Plan on shooting it this weekend. Yes, we actually found ammo. [smilie=l:

I'd take any load suggestions you guys would offer. I have Unique and TiteGroup. Proabably going to use Titegroup.

exile
02-23-2010, 10:01 PM
Please let us know how that works out for you. Definately an interesting pistol.

exile

mike in co
02-23-2010, 10:28 PM
not to rain too much on your new gun, but i still find it interesting that people will spend $4-5-600 on new 380 and pass on a 9mak gun that has essintally 10% more enrgy in the same size or smaller package....for less than $200....

its called a polish 64...p64
6 plus 1
chrome lined bore
loaded rd indicator
driftable rear sight
safety/decocker with cocked and locked capable

steel on steel , dark blued finish, no snag design.
add a set of wolf springs and you make a milsurplus mil/police into a civil pocket pistol.

just saying.....

mike in co

BruceB
02-23-2010, 11:36 PM
Back during the 2009 Nevada Cast Bullet Shoot, I was fortunate-enough to handle Mike's P64.

I have to go along with his estimate of this gun. At the price, it's surely one of the great, screaming bargains of all time. Mike, if you can find an extra copy of the little beast, I'd be very tickled to buy it at a reasonable price (I don't really expect to get one for $200!)

Nice little gun....and I AM a fan of Sig-Sauer pistols, my P220 being one of my favorites.

j20owner
02-24-2010, 12:06 AM
not to rain too much on your new gun, but i still find it interesting that people will spend $4-5-600 on new 380 and pass on a 9mak gun that has essintally 10% more enrgy in the same size or smaller package....for less than $200....

its called a polish 64...p64
6 plus 1
chrome lined bore
loaded rd indicator
driftable rear sight
safety/decocker with cocked and locked capable

steel on steel , dark blued finish, no snag design.
add a set of wolf springs and you make a milsurplus mil/police into a civil pocket pistol.

just saying.....

mike in co

You obviously don't know my wife, mike. We've looked at everything else in it's price/size/power range, and nothing else, other than the $1300 Kimber, has done it for her. I admit I've spoiled her on the 1911 design, which the P238 is. She DOESN'T like any double-action guns(so far), she doesn't like recoil(understandable), and she doesn't like double-action guns. Yes, I said that twice, that's how much she likes them.

I not going to try and save money on something that might save her life. If she likes it, she'll shoot it and get proficient with it. If she doesn't like it, she'll let it sit and won't be able to shoot it as good as she should.

Also, I didn't ask for your opinion of what we should have bought. This is what we have, what she wanted, and what she'll shoot. Also, thanks for the load info, mike.:groner:

9.3X62AL
02-24-2010, 12:22 AM
J20--

The P-238 is an intriguing design. From its barrel configuration, I assume it is a locked-breech/tilting-barrel design. I had a Colt Government Model 380 that was also locked-breech (Browning toggle-link design), and it had significantly less felt recoil than typical blowback 380s--and a LOT less than my 9mm Makarov. With a pistol weighing under 16 oz., that will make quite a difference in user-friendliness, and in platform durability. I was able to elevate the Colt's performance a bit with JHPs, to the 1000 FPS realm without vigorous ejection or other over-pressure symptoms.

mike in co
02-24-2010, 01:00 AM
Back during the 2009 Nevada Cast Bullet Shoot, I was fortunate-enough to handle Mike's P64.

I have to go along with his estimate of this gun. At the price, it's surely one of the great, screaming bargains of all time. Mike, if you can find an extra copy of the little beast, I'd be very tickled to buy it at a reasonable price (I don't really expect to get one for $200!)

Nice little gun....and I AM a fan of Sig-Sauer pistols, my P220 being one of my favorites.

shot gun news, j and g sales or cdnn, 160 plus ship. extra mags are only 20.

and they have just released the p83 it is an 8 rd...longer grip...and more expensive.

mike in co

mike in co
02-24-2010, 01:05 AM
Also, thanks for the load info, mike.:groner:

i don't use either of those two powders.,.....so no info...i shoot milsurplus 102 with my 380's.

i do agree if she likes it its more likely she will shoot it.

mike in co

j20owner
02-27-2010, 08:58 PM
Well, she likes it.:D

Shot about 40 rounds today. Some 90gr HP Fiocchi and Aguila stuff that we found. With chrony about 10' away, both 90gr loads shot about 860fps. The Fiocchi printed about 4 inches higher than the Aguila did, though. :?

I was able to find some Berry's plated 100gr RNFB bullets and I loaded 20 over 3.5gr Unique. These shot the same POI as the Aguila and velocity was higher than both factory loads as well. They averaged 920fps. I think I'm going to back them down a bit to about 3.2 and test again for a good practice load until the Mihec .380 mold shows up. :lovebooli

Butler Ford
02-27-2010, 10:07 PM
I've yet to meet a Sig I didn't like. Sounds like this one might turn out to be quite the little thumper. Hope the XYL continues to enjoy it.

kingstrider
02-28-2010, 09:50 AM
I also like this new model which is obviously patterned after the Colt and smaller than the old Sig P232. FWIW, the P64 isn't what I'd call a good carry piece anyway. The sights are tiny, the magazine release is goofy and the double action trigger is among the worst out there at well over 20 lbs. The P64 is a good value for what it is, but isn't even in the same league as this one. You did good, congrats to the Mrs.!

kenjuudo
02-28-2010, 12:08 PM
j20owner,

Momma runs plenty of RCBS 38-90-RN over 2.8 grains of titegroup, CCI primer through her little bra buddie. About 860fps and plenty accurate (for what it is).

jim

mike in co
02-28-2010, 01:13 PM
I also like this new model which is obviously patterned after the Colt and smaller than the old Sig P232. FWIW, the P64 isn't what I'd call a good carry piece anyway. The sights are tiny, the magazine release is goofy and the double action trigger is among the worst out there at well over 20 lbs. The P64 is a good value for what it is, but isn't even in the same league as this one. You did good, congrats to the Mrs.!

well we all have our opinions.

you will note i said to REPLACE THE SPRINGS..THE RECOIL AND THE MAIN.

this takes care of both trigger and recoil issues . there is no reason to shoot the gun double action, you can carry it cocked and locked.

i'll give my opinion on pocket gun sights........the bad guy should be close enough that you dont need sights.

if you cannot point and shoot at 7 yrds...then i dont have an answer for you.

please note i said it was a pocket gun not a concealed carry gun.

the p64 slips easily into and out of the front pockets of my jeans. no holster.

again to each, his/her own.

( on the humorous side, for the price of his sig i could buy 3 p64s, do the springs, and just carry all three and not worry about reloads.....lol)

mike in co