PDA

View Full Version : Winchester model 88 ??

todd987
06-19-2006, 07:40 PM
There is a pretty nice Winchester model 88 (.308) at a local gun store that caught my eye. It's in pretty nice shape but has a side mount scope set up so looks like it has been drilled and tapped. It's a 1959 and costs right at $500. Any body have any experence with the model 88? I tempted to go pick it up.
Thanks Todd

klausg
06-19-2006, 07:56 PM
Todd- I've got one in .308, though I bought it so long ago that I couldn't tell you if $500 is a good deal or not. I don't know why someone would put a side mount on one, mine has a Weaver mount right on top where it belongs. The only trouble I've had with mine was a crack at the wrist of the stock, right at the end of the receiver, structurally it wasn't a problem. However being me, I decided I needed to fix it and didn't do the prettiest job of it. I haven't done much load development for mine, (it's been languishing for WAY too long), but with factory loads it managed to keep 5 in 2" @ 100yds. Won't win any competitions with it, but it'll fill the freezer. I've often thought of having it re-barreled to .358, and since moving to AK the thought has been recurring more often. Otherwise, they're a nice rifle, not as accurate as most bolt-actions I've shot, but still "minute-of-moose/deer"

-Klaus

StarMetal
06-19-2006, 09:20 PM
I have the semi version the Model 100 in 243 and it's very accurate. Under an inch at 100 yards with factory ammo. I'm wondering why they put a side mount on that 88 unless they wanted to use the iron sights too. I think they ruined it and I believe $500 is way too much. Maybe for a pristine one that was unaltered in any way. Hell I'll sell you my 100 for half that price.

Joe

Maineboy
06-19-2006, 09:55 PM
I have the semi version the Model 100 in 243 and it's very accurate. Under an inch at 100 yards with factory ammo. I'm wondering why they put a side mount on that 88 unless they wanted to use the iron sights too. I think they ruined it and I believe $500 is way too much. Maybe for a pristine one that was unaltered in any way. Hell I'll sell you my 100 for half that price.

Joe

Joe, you might want to check Auction Arms to see what Model 100s are going for before you sell yours for $250.00.

dk17hmr
06-19-2006, 10:23 PM
I have taken possesion of my Grandads Win 88 in 284. I absoultly love the rifle, mainly because it was grandads deer rifle and my brother got his other one a Marlin 30-30 with a 18" barrel.

The 284 will do 1.5-2" regularly at 100 yards off the bench with 145 grain soft points at loaded close to max. Ballistically it is very close to a 7mm Mag. I havent shot a deer with it yet last year was the first year I used it and the only buck I had a shot at I let my brother take it because I had a 10 pointer from bow season.

Its not a bad price but maybe you could talk them down a bit. The side mount takes value down doesnt make sence because they are drilled and tapped on the top.

DK

versifier
06-19-2006, 10:31 PM
That's a fair price if it has been cared for properly. They are very accurate, on a par with a decent bolt action. The mags don't rattle. I load for my brother's in .308, mid 60's, which he has set up with a Williams receiver sight. He doesn't shoot cast (in fact, he doesn't shoot much at all anymore), but the rifle shoots sub MOA with 150 & 165 Sierra GameKings out to 200yds, as far as I tested it with those sights. He had another older one, 50's vintage, with nicer wood but not quite as accurate. That one had a scope on it and would not quite shoot MOA, but 1.5" (10shots) @ 100yds isn't too shabby for any rifle. That one he sold as it was worth more and was less accurate. While not as light weight as a Savage m99, they are in my experience more accurate and equally reliable.

Bucks Owin
06-19-2006, 10:36 PM
Having a bunch of non factory holes drilled and tapped in the reciever knocks the hell out of the value. I'd point that out to the dealer. I'd think that's a little high too....

Be that as it may, they were an EXCELLENT rifle. I'd buy one in a heartbeat....

BTW, Maineboy, are you saying that you want to sell your 100 for $250? I had a M-100 in .284 that I wish I still had. Another great Winnie that faded away...

Dennis

BTW, I had a swing out Weaver mount on my 100 that used the factory mounting holes. (The scope could be swung out of the way to use the open sights if need be). I don't understand why anyone would be poking holes in that M-88 either.....

AnthonyB
06-19-2006, 10:50 PM
Joe; I'll take that Model 100 for $250. Please PM with payment instructions. Tony

onceabull
06-19-2006, 11:11 PM
If I wasn't sure that Tony is a officer and a gentleman, I would be offering $251. by PM....[smilie=1: Onceabull

todd987
06-20-2006, 05:57 AM
Thanks for the info. I did find the scope mount thats on the 88. It's a Griffin & Howe side mount. --- Wow lots of beans for the scope mount.
If it's still there I'll pick it up this weekend and post some pics.
Thanks Todd

StarMetal
06-20-2006, 10:56 AM
Fellow, let me be more specific about my Model 100. First it's a carbine with a 19 1/2 inch barrel. Whoever had it before got it scoped it and the mount is on top the receiver, a Redfield mount and Tasco Worldclass 3x9 scope. It had the muzzle threaded for a muzzlebreak and has a threaded cap on it. He also removed the rear sight so it wouldn't be seen in the scope. As you see now it's definately not a collector model because of the alterations. Thus why I'm selling it cheap. I don't need the rifle is the reason I'm selling it.

Oh I forgot, I have the brass, dies, and loaded ammo for it too.

Joe

mr mom
06-20-2006, 12:57 PM
my oldest son just graduated from high school a few weeks ago.. my father in law gave him his deer rifle . it was a winchester mod. 88 in 358 win... you should have seen the look on my sons face... it has a redfeild 3x9 on it from when he bought it .. it has 2 boxes of shell with it from when he got it ... it has only been shot 2 times.....
i have picked up 200 rds of brass and a set of dies for it ....
my son has bee told to shoot it a few times and put it up ... he says gamps gave it to me to hunt with and he is going to do just that ....
i have some pics but cant figure out how to post them.....

onceabull
06-20-2006, 01:03 PM
mr mom: Unless your boys gift rifle is showing an unusual amount of carry wear for a twice fired rifle,He's is talking about taking about a $2000 rifle to the field...fwiw, Onceabull [smilie=1:

Bucks Owin
06-20-2006, 01:25 PM
Fellow, let me be more specific about my Model 100. First it's a carbine with a 19 1/2 inch barrel. Whoever had it before got it scoped it and the mount is on top the receiver, a Redfield mount and Tasco Worldclass 3x9 scope. It had the muzzle threaded for a muzzlebreak and has a threaded cap on it. He also removed the rear sight so it wouldn't be seen in the scope. As you see now it's definately not a collector model because of the alterations. Thus why I'm selling it cheap. I don't need the rifle is the reason I'm selling it.

Oh I forgot, I have the brass, dies, and loaded ammo for it too.

Joe

Hmmm, that doesn't help velocity much either. I've often wished my 22" Featherweight M-70 was a 26" Varmint model....

"One of these days" mine will be a 28" Douglas barreled 6mm/284....THAT'LL move them .243" boolits downrange! :-D

FWIW,

Dennis

StarMetal
06-20-2006, 02:13 PM
Dennis,

Being I obtained this rifle close to one hunting season I picked up some factory ammo, as it was indeed on a good sale at Walmart at that time, to have something ready right away. Later on the dies and components came in and so some testing was in order. With the factory loads, my reloads, and my chronograph I repaired to my range. Now I'm not going to sit here and type lies to you, no, you won't get the upper velocities from a shorter tube, but I was surprised at what I did get. Remember now I was loading 100 grain bullets, as were the factory loads...for deer. The velocities were right about up there with the factory publications and they used longer barrels for their data. The second surprise come at how well this little semi carbine did shoot. Third surprise was how damn loud it was too!! Yes I had ear muffs on, but it was still loud. I figured whoever had it before must have set it up for a youth rifle or one for a petite woman perhaps..to have put a muzzlebreak on it. God I could only imagine how much louder that was. Personally I not thought a 243 win recoiled that much myself, especially out of the dampining effects of a semi-auto.

Joe

McLintock
06-20-2006, 02:34 PM
I bought a brand new 88 in 284 winchester in 1964 after getting out of college, and the worst thing about it was the trigger pull. Couldn't find anyone that could improve it, at least not back then, so sold or traded it and got a Ruger 77 in .284 in 1972; still got it. Good rifle if you can get the trigger worked on, but probably not worth $500, if it's got extra holes drilled in it.
McLintock

Bucks Owin
06-20-2006, 03:40 PM
Dennis,

Being I obtained this rifle close to one hunting season I picked up some factory ammo, as it was indeed on a good sale at Walmart at that time, to have something ready right away. Later on the dies and components came in and so some testing was in order. With the factory loads, my reloads, and my chronograph I repaired to my range. Now I'm not going to sit here and type lies to you, no, you won't get the upper velocities from a shorter tube, but I was surprised at what I did get. Remember now I was loading 100 grain bullets, as were the factory loads...for deer. The velocities were right about up there with the factory publications and they used longer barrels for their data. The second surprise come at how well this little semi carbine did shoot. Third surprise was how damn loud it was too!! Yes I had ear muffs on, but it was still loud. I figured whoever had it before must have set it up for a youth rifle or one for a petite woman perhaps..to have put a muzzlebreak on it. God I could only imagine how much louder that was. Personally I not thought a 243 win recoiled that much myself, especially out of the dampining effects of a semi-auto.

Joe

My Dad cut back the barrel on his old '41 M-70 .270 to nearly "carbine length" too (Just behind the factory ramp) It sure lays the daisies low too! :-D But like your .243, accuracy was excellent and with some of the "quicker" powders, the velocity didn't suffer too much....

The M100 in .284 we had was a solid 1.5" shooter with almost anything it was fed. Oh well, I'm sure you know the allure of a "new toy" when it comes to firearms! (It got swapped.... :roll: )

Best,

Dennis

mr mom
06-20-2006, 03:41 PM
onceabull: it has some ware on the stock , but the blueing is in very good .. i said something to the boy what everybody was saying and he said he didnt care ... his grampa gave it to him to hunt with and he is going to us it... he says it is worth more to him knowing it was his grandpa's than any amount of money...

here is the kicker i think... there are 11 grand sons in the family and mine are the only 1's that hunt and fish and hasnt been in jail for anything..... grandpa also told the other 2 boys that he has old rifles for them when they grad. i know he has a few pre 04's and at least 2 mod. 12's that are in mint cond.

StarMetal
06-20-2006, 03:50 PM
mr mom,

I don't collect, I don't believe in it. Take that rifle your son just got. What if he never uses it, has kids, passes it on to them, and so on. What's the sense of it? I'm with him, use it. Maybe they should have a national museum where one of everything is kept. Then that ways we could use the rest of everything for what it was meant and made for.

Joe

Char-Gar
06-20-2006, 06:46 PM
I bought a 1963 vintage Winchester 88 in .308 two years ago. I paid $550.00 for it and felt good about the price. It shoots 1.5MOA with great regularity. A fine hunting rifle.

ruger4570
06-24-2006, 09:31 PM
The Winchester 88 and 100's have been favorites of mine for years. I currently have a Model 100 in 284 and it is a carbine, I have heard that they are rare and hard to find. I guess this is a good place to ask,, do any of you know what the value of this might be. The wood is perfect and the bluing has to be somewhere better than 95%,, just some slight missing at the muzzle. I think someone before me installed a red recoil pad,, not a thick one, probably 1/4". Any help is appreciated.

McLintock
06-25-2006, 07:45 PM
Current Blue Book lists it at 100% for $600 plus $150 more for a .284, so a max of $750. With the non standard pad and any kind of wear it'll drop somewhat.
A Pre 64 88 in .284 in 100% is $2300 and a post 64 is $1300; the post 64 carbine is also listed at $2300 in 100%. Looks like the 88 is the more desirable of the two.
McLintock

ruger4570
06-30-2006, 11:18 AM
Thanks for the info. It is much appreciated.

Bucks Owin
06-30-2006, 01:06 PM
If I remember, my ol' man swapped our M100 .284 for an '06 BSA with a blonde stock. Wish he'd kept the M100, it was a fine shooter and never malfunctioned once...

I still have some Western 150 gr ammo and cases I saved figuring to use them "someday" when I build a 6mm/.284.....

Dennis :coffee: