PDA

View Full Version : BP Load and Bullet for Webley-Pryce

spur0701
02-23-2010, 06:39 AM
Wasn't sure if I should post this here or in the wheel gun forum. I picked up this Webley-Pryce recently. I posted over at Gunboards about it and from feedback I've gotten there and some other research on the net I've determined that it's BP and most probably produced in the late 1880s or early 1890s. Was sold by I. Hollis and Sons, most probably to a British Officer as part of his personal kit. I also understand from the limited information I've been able to find on the net that the original caliber for this is .476 Caliber (.476 Enfield (also known as the .476 Eley, .476 Revolver, and occasionally .455/476), but also understand that's essentially the same as .455 Webley and that the two rounds are essentially interchangeable, and ballistics are essentially the same.

I'm assuming I can load .455 Webley brass with BP or pyrodex and the appropriate lead round? I know there's a RCBS mould but I think it's kinda pricey at over $100 for a single cavity. Is there something else I can use that would give good accuracy and have good ballistics? From my reading I need a soft alloy or pure lead measuring at least .454 and around 255 g.....I mostly use Lee moulds but all the ones they carry or I have seem to be .452. Should I buy a 452-255-RF and enlarge it a little with some lapping compound? Is there another mould I should use that's not so pricey? Or should I just buy a supply of .45 Colt cowboy bullets and use those.....any guidance or lessons learned are appreciated.

Boz330
02-23-2010, 09:59 AM
The first thing I would do is slug the barrel. I had a MK4 before it was stolen and the Fiocchi ammo that I bought for brass had a 265gr hollow base boolit. I could shoot .452 slugs in it with reasonable accuracy but a .454 mold shouldn't be that hard to find. The Lee molds are cheap enough to lap out and if you mess it up your not out that much.
I shot a mild load of smokeless in mine but BP shouldn't be a problem, there isn't that much room in the case to overload it.

Bob

dominicfortune00
02-23-2010, 09:55 PM
That's sure a nice Webley-Pryce you've got there!

spur0701
02-24-2010, 02:29 AM
That's sure a nice Webley-Pryce you've got there!

Thanks....I'm pulling six months in Kabul and I picked it up here from a guy I've been buying Sniders and Martini's from.....couldn't believe what good shape it was in.....

dominicfortune00
02-25-2010, 11:31 PM
I like Webley's also!

Good find you've got there.

Thank You for defending our Country!!

Stay safe out there!

Gellot Wilde
03-02-2010, 09:58 AM
That looks a nice revolver, the wood grips look great.

Just become a Webley owner this week, looking forward to shooting it when all the gear arrives in the post.

Pic of said ugly duckling in my album.

John Boy
03-02-2010, 02:47 PM
Spur, when you determine what caliber the revolver is, go to this website ... http://www.goexpowder.com/images/LoadCharts/Cartridge-Pistol-Revolvers.pdf

saddler
03-02-2010, 02:53 PM
Purchased in Kabul....
...possibly made in the vicinity of Kabul too - they are making "new" pre-1914 guns there, complete with proof marks, etc. etc. [smilie=l:

Hope it IS genuine
The difference between the 476 & the 455 is that the 476 used a stepped bullet. Sort of like how the O.D. of a .22 rimfire round is the same as the O.D. of the case - where the majoity of other rounds have a bullet O.D. that conforms to the case I.D.

Use the Elmer Keith designed IDEAL 454424 mold, or a 455 hollow base

There USED to be a great UK firm making MkI 455 cases (longer than the MkII) but they folded when such items were more or less banned here

Try Keramco, they make Kynoch ammo & may be able to advise on your best options

Happy shooting

Springfield
03-07-2010, 02:10 PM
For my mk IV and mk 6 Webley's I have been using a 200 grain RNFP Big Lube bullet mould that is out of spec and casts .458 diameter bullets. I size down to .456 and they work great with BP. I use the shorter Fiocchi .450 brass. I'd be happy to send you 100 as cast for 5.00 shipping if you are interested. Real nice load and easy on the gun.
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c262/mwhyte123/MKIV.jpg