PDA

View Full Version : Another question for Starmetal

Scrounger
04-30-2005, 03:54 PM
And anyone else that can give me useful information. I have wanted a small caliber, high velocity pistol cartridge for some time. But I have not been willing to buy a whole different pistol to get it. Or go to a lot of trouble and expense to make. I THINK I have thought of a satisfactory solution. I have an excess of .45s (yes, .45Nut, that is possible), even have one of them on the auction board. I'm pretty sure .357 Sig will work in a 1911 type. I think barrels are easy enough to acquire. Only other parts needed is an extractor and a .40 S&W magazine. Shouldn't be any problems there. Dies should be easy to find and I don't want to even talk about how available brass is.... Ideally, I would find a stripped slide, also very possible, and just make up a top end unit to use on one of my other 1911s. OK. You see any holes in that ballon? What kind of velocity could I expect with a 125 grain bullet out of a 5 inch barrel, as fast as I can make it go?

StarMetal
04-30-2005, 04:06 PM
Art

The 357 Sig sure would work in the 1911. The ideal slide to find would be a 10mm 1911 slide. There would be no work to do on that as the casehead size is the same so the extractor would be fine. The velocity of the 357 Sig in their own pistol is quite high, quoted as even being hotter then a 125 gr 357 Mag. That longer five inch barrel in the 1911 would sure zip it up alittle more. I think the size and weight of the 1911 would make it more enjoyable to shoot too. I would imagine it would have a loud muzzle blast. I was just out shooting my 30 Luger and had to put earplugs and muffs both on. I don't know how hard it would be to find a 40 S&W slide for a 1911. Too bad Springfield doesn't sale parts, but I know the fellow that owned Springfield Arrmory before selling it to the present owners and he has alot of stuff and I could find out for you.

Another very high velocity small caliber round is the 7.62x25. Deputy Al and I have toyed with the ideal of one of those in a 1911. For that matter the 30 Luger hums along pretty good also.

Stay away from the 38-45, it's in all reality not a round that you can really hotrod without extensive modications. These would be a fully supported ramped barrel (which in itself require frame modifications) a bushed firing pin to the smaller 9mm/38super firing pin, and of course, the barrel set off to be rechambered.

Joe

Scrounger
04-30-2005, 04:22 PM
Would a .45 slide work if I put the proper extractor and firing pin in it? Might need a heavier recoil spring, too. I assume all these parts are available...

StarMetal
04-30-2005, 05:44 PM
Art

I'm not sure, I'd have to measure both the 357 Sig and 45acp head size. That pocket in breech face that supports the casehead does exactly that, plus it centers the firing pin, centers the cartridge to the chamber, and probably most important the opposite shoulder of that recess give the casehead support to work against the extractor. It might work, but not reliably. No problem though Art, just get a 9mm slide and open the breech face up some with an end mill. I imagine you might somehow be able to do it by hand. A gunsmith should be able to.

Best to start off with a heavy recoil spring and see how it functions with the loads you're using. If too heavy then work back to a lighter one.

Joe

45nut
04-30-2005, 11:00 PM
[QUOTE=Scrounger] I have an excess of .45s (yes, .45Nut, that is possibleQUOTE]
Ahh,,Art I know of a solution,,,ship them to me :-)