PDA

View Full Version : pile of stuff (vickerman dies)

bart55
02-22-2010, 06:40 PM
Just traded for a huge pile of stuff from a recently passed on gunsmith, His grrandson shoots but does not reload or have any interest so I got it all for a couple of rifles and a 9mm pistol . and more to come . I was wondering if anybody is familiar with vickerman dies ?????????? There were a few herters presses and some vickerman dies with them they look like they are cut out for viewing or something . I have alot more stuff and will probably be back asking more . I have been loading since 1962 and never saw half of the stuff I just got .

elk hunter
02-22-2010, 07:34 PM
bart55;

Vickerman bullet seating dies are still being made. You can find an add for them in Rifle or Handloader magazine. They are well made and easy to use, you drop the bullet in the opening for seating. I've been thinking about making one up so I can load some of my very long case ammunition without having to slip the bullet up in the the die and then put the case in behind it. The old Herters reloading presses are generally very stout, but can be hard to find shell holders for, someone still makes an adapter so you can use the newer style shell holders.

scb
02-22-2010, 10:57 PM
I use them all the time. They work really well for me.
http://www.gmwvickerman.com/
There parts are interchangeable. They also make extended shell "holders"

Wayne Smith
02-22-2010, 11:12 PM
CH4D makes the adapters to use regular shell holders for the Herter's and other presses.

Czech_too
02-23-2010, 04:13 AM
I find the Vickerman dies make for easier bullet seating on the smaller bullets like for the Hornet, especially if you have fat fingers or arthritic ones!

bart55
02-23-2010, 08:13 AM
Thanks Guys thats why I ask here first . Thanks again

Maven
02-23-2010, 10:47 AM
bart55, If by chance your Vickermann die was made by CH-4D, you'll find they may still have inserts (for the die body) which fit a number of calibers.

1hole
02-25-2010, 03:09 PM
"I was wondering if anybody is familiar with vickerman dies "

At least one of the current RCBS "Competition" seaters is of the Vickerman type, as was a Herter's variation back in the 60s. Some find them easier to use than conventional seaters. I don't. Appearently not enough people cared for them back then so they died out until RCBS resumed a copy; doesn't seem like many folks care to pay what big green wants for them today.

And, unlike the excellant full body sleeve Forster/Redding straight-line seaters, I've never heard of anyone getting better accuracy from any type of short sliding sleeve bullet seater.

None of that is to say your deal is not a good one, the Vickermans are as effective as most other seaters and many folks find them easier to use.

Char-Gar
02-27-2010, 11:28 PM
I have been using the Vickerman since the mid-60s. The bullet sleeve is too tight for most cast bullet uses. It is easy to have a custom sleeve made for the proper size cast bullet.

smoked turkey
02-27-2010, 11:41 PM
A good friend of mine has a 30 cal Vickerman as you describe. I borrowed it and loaded different 30's with it. I really liked it, but can't justify the cost of a new one. I envy you on some good old stuff you have.

Bret4207
02-28-2010, 08:04 AM
I had the pleasure of using some original Vickerman dies many years back. Sweet design, very easy to use, excellent quality.