PDA

View Full Version : Extreme Meplat Cast Bullets

Dixie Slugs
02-22-2010, 06:12 PM
I have been getting many emails, private messages, and phone calls concerning my Extreme Meplat Cast bullets for handguns.
These bullets were designed to give max tissure damage at reasonal hunting distance.
Mountain Molds can take these specs and cut molds. We have used these bullets for some time on game and they work! We also use the 44 and 45 in plastic sabots in our .50 cal ML rifles.
Regards, James@Dixie Slugs

44man
02-23-2010, 09:35 AM
No question! Those will put the plop on anything. Nice design.
Bet I could get some small groups at 200 yards with them too.

1Shirt
02-23-2010, 12:04 PM
And on top of every thing else, they are great looking in a finished loaded ctg. I like the term "put the plop", think I will add it to my vocab.
1Shirt!:coffeecom

Naphtali
02-23-2010, 02:29 PM
These are clearly intended for revolver use. What is the largest meplat you have identified that feeds reliably from Marlin 1895 magazine-and-action?

Regarding your revolver designs, is there a minimum velocity required to maintain bullet's axial stability? Do these designs, particularly the .45-caliber, yaw during penetration more severely than other WFN designs?

Is your .45-caliber bullet design satisfactory for loading in Colt SAA and Freedom Arms 97 cylinders?

Dixie Slugs
02-23-2010, 03:18 PM
What can I say? We have shot these designs from 1000'/" up in various handguns. We have seen no yaw in flight or in penetration. There seems a great deal of speculation among the hobbyists about handgun bullet designs.....and a great deal that has been passed down with no foundation indeed! Extreme Meplat bullet designs have been lumped in with target wadcutters. Target wadcutters are only border-line stabile, due to exremely low velocity, as they leave the barrel. Not so on Extreme Meplat designs. So study will show that the length of the EMC are stabile in existing handgun twist.
We are not paper punchers or hobbyist! Our deigns are simple meat hunter designs.
Many will say that the EMC designs are to light. We have tested many designs and found there is an ideal balance of velocity - penetration - weight for game bullets. I am not here to take part in the never-ending arguement over bullet designs. I will leave that to the hobbyist. iI have posted these designs at the requests from many meat hunters indeed. What you do with these EMC designs is up to you.
Regards, James

Southern Son
02-24-2010, 07:43 AM
James, I only have two questions.
1. Can they be made without the gas check shank?
2. Do you know if they will cycle through a Marlin 1894?
If they will cycle through a Marlin, I rekon then would be great for pigs.

Thanks.

George Tucker
02-24-2010, 11:53 AM
Very well written Dixie Slugs, George.

Dixie Slugs
02-25-2010, 12:54 PM
The shown Extreme Meplat Cast are handgun bullets and will not feed well in the Marlin 1894's.
However, I have attached the spec sheet on a bullet designed to give 100% feeding in the Marlins. The location of the crimp groove and angle on the nose was arrived at by turning alum bullets, loading dummy rounds, until feeding was positive.
Somewhere, here on Cast Boolits, this bullet's specs were converted to Mountain Mold specs.
Although the TWC bullets was designed for the 1894's, it is also an excellent bullet in handguns.
I see no reason the the base of the bullet could not be re-designed for a plain base.
This TCW also feeds excellent in the Ruger 77/44.

winelover
02-25-2010, 04:54 PM
The shown Extreme Meplat Cast are handgun bullets and will not feed well in the Marlin 1894's.
However, I have attached the spec sheet on a bullet designed to give 100% feeding in the Marlins. The location of the crimp groove and angle on the nose was arrived at by turning alum bullets, loading dummy rounds, until feeding was positive.
Somewhere, here on Cast Boolits, this bullet's specs were converted to Mountain Mold specs.
Although the TWC bullets was designed for the 1894's, it is also an excellent bullet in handguns.
I see no reason the the base of the bullet could not be re-designed for a plain base.
This TCW also feeds excellent in the Ruger 77/44.

What is the approximate weight of this TWC bullet designed for Marlins? I assume it's 265 grains.
Winelover:lovebooli

Dixie Slugs
02-25-2010, 08:22 PM
Sorry about that! Yes, the bullet weighs 265 grs and testing many weights we found that 265 grs gave the best balance of weigth for penetration and velocity.....James