PDA

View Full Version : 44 mag with large rifle primers

jbunny
02-22-2010, 05:12 PM
can somebody tell me if it's posible to buy 44 mag brass that has the deeper
primer pockets to use large rifle primers.
TIA
jb

izzyjoe
02-22-2010, 07:40 PM
i'm just curious, but whats your reason for that?:cbpour:

jbunny
02-22-2010, 08:07 PM
#1 streamline the primer inventory as i have got rid of all my big guns and i have a
308 and 357 mag and max and 4 44mag carbines. for the 357 mag and max ,
i use the small rifle primers. if i could get brass that took LR primers, that makes things simple for me.
#2 since i don't have hand guns all rifles and all strong actions, and fully captured
brass, head spaced on the rim. i can push the pressure up a bit without blowing
primers. i might have to bite the boolit and ream them all out.
jb
ps no i don't want 444 marlin. i like my carbide dies, no lubeing
and the 444 uses twice the powder and brass is 3 times the price.:mrgreen:

curator
02-22-2010, 10:41 PM
I use the Sinclair primer pocket uniforming tool to deepen the primer pocket on .44 Magnum and .45 Colt for use in my various leverguns.

stubshaft
02-22-2010, 10:56 PM
I use small rifle primers in my 357's and LR primers in my 44's and 45's all of the time. I just use a handheld Lee priming tool to seat them. Never had a problem with primers detonating when being installed or sitting too high in the case.

felix
02-22-2010, 11:38 PM
Won't hurt a thing until you get a stuck firing pin, unknowingly, or drop the cartridge dead onto concrete. ... felix

longbow
02-23-2010, 12:30 AM
I'm with Felix!

When I was young and foolish (well, uneducated in these things anyway) I was not aware that large pistol and large rifle primers were different heights.

I had several large rifle primers fire when seating in .44 mag brass with a Lee Loader (the old style hammer loader). Took a few times before I figured something must be not quite right. A little investigation revealed the problem so I stopped using large rifle primers in .44 mag brass.

I did not have any problems with tube magazine or having them fire if dropped but the potential is certainly there if slightly rough seating will set them off.

If primer pockets are deepened to suit there should be no problem but if not I would not recommend using them.

Longbow

Gee_Wizz01
02-23-2010, 12:54 AM
I use a Midway primer pocket uniformer on my .44 Mag brass that I run in my Rossi Puma. I set it to the correct depth for LR primers and ream the primer pocket. I use Win LR primers for my 44 Mag loads in the Rossi, and I get great results. Be sure to work up your loads when switching to LR primers.

G

Marlin Hunter
02-23-2010, 01:36 AM
can somebody tell me if it's posible to buy 44 mag brass that has the deeper
primer pockets to use large rifle primers.
TIA
jb

I used LR primers in my 45 ACP and didn't have a seating problem. I have the Lee Ram prime and it flattens out the primer a little which may account for the reason why the LRP's worked.

45-70 Chevroner
03-14-2010, 06:43 PM
I think if you go ahead with this project it would be advisable to use Federal cases as they are heavier in the web area of the case. On average Federal cases are heavier case per case than other companies.