PDA

View Full Version : Best White Label Lube for Pistol

Colorado4wheel
02-22-2010, 02:12 PM
I have read lots of threads about lubes. Most seem to end up with "I can shoot it to 2500FPS with out leading" responses. This is for Pistol. This is what I want.

1) Low Smoke
2) Low tackiness after application.

Willing to use a heater if needed. My Star is backordered but I did not get the heater yet. I can heat the thing with a iron and aluminum plate or some other means if needed.

http://www.lsstuff.com/lube/index.html
http://bullshop.gunloads.com/tbs_lube.htm

I am ordering some Bull Plate lube so I thought about making my own Speed Green. I can get BeesWax at my Vitamin Cottage. Or just order the first batch from him and not fiddle with it.

I have no idea how any of the LSS stuff meets my needs.

I assume I can just heat either/all options and pour it in my Star to get it started as well. I used a Star but never owned my own.

Shiloh
02-22-2010, 02:28 PM
Low smoke with BAC from rifle and pistol. More smoke with Bullseye powder than W 231 or Unique... Notice I said low smoke. there is a bit even with rifle cartridges.

Shiloh

RobS
02-22-2010, 04:22 PM
BAC is a decent one, but will be bit tacky and Lars 50/50 is quite tacky. Carnauba Red is very good, is less tacky as it is a bit stiffer but may require a heater so you don't have to apply so much pressure on the lube reservoir (I use a heater). I vote Carnauba Red and I put a very small amount of Slick50 engine treatment in (15 drops) with each stick that I melt down and put in the Lubrisizer. The Slick50 makes the lube flow better from the bullets lube groove in the lower pressure pistol rounds like the 45 auto. I have also noted that the rifle loads where I use to have a bit of leading I now don't since adding the drops of engine treatment.

BAC is less smoky than their 50/50 and Carnauba Red is the least smoky of them all.

That's my 2 cents.

Rob

pdawg_shooter
02-22-2010, 04:36 PM
BAC is all I use any more, rifle or handgun.

376Steyr
02-22-2010, 06:43 PM
I'm a fan of White Label "2500+" lube for pistol loads. I've never noticed smoke from it, but then I've only shot it outdoors. It is a little tacky though, so I dust a little Motor Mica on the lubed boolits before boxing them up. I've had good results with Carnuba Red too, and it would be my choice if I wasn't sure what storage conditions the boolits would see. I think you can get a sample pack from White Label to try them all for yourself at a very modest cost.

badgeredd
02-22-2010, 06:57 PM
Since you said you are willing to use a heater, Canauba Red is a good lube. I've used it on pistol and rifle boolits with great success. AND it isn't very tacky once on the boolits.

Edd

Oh yeah, as an after thought, you can get a sample pack from Lars and have a little of all of his lubes to try. It's available for a very reasonable price.

stubshaft
02-22-2010, 08:01 PM

+1 I don't even bother with any other loobs.

Shiloh
02-22-2010, 08:29 PM

+1 I don't even bother with any other loobs.

I'm with both you guys. Have an ample stash.

Shiloh

Colorado4wheel
02-22-2010, 08:49 PM
So BAC does not need a heater and isn't sticky and is low smoke?

Bac is 50% Red and 50% NRA Formula. To me that would mean it's 25% Alox. I thought Alox smoked a little more then non-Alox lubes? Maybe I should try some Red and som BAC.

fecmech
02-22-2010, 09:14 PM
A lot depends on how you handle your boolits but of the White lable lubes Carnauba Red is the least sticky. I cast mainly for handgun and do 500-1000 at a time and size with the Star sizer which drops into a padded container. I then pour my bullets into plastic tubs of one sort or another that I then set in front of my Auto Champ to load from. Carnauba Red is a great lube and it works good but it is too sticky for me in that bulk handling situation. It makes the lube stick to other bullets and pull out of the lube groove get on the bullet noses etc. If you size an physically place the bullets in boxes etc. it's no problem, if you handle as I do it's too sticky.
I buy lube from Magma which by the pound or in their 2" sticks is quite reasonable and not sticky but requires a heater. I have had excellent results with it in all handgun calibers and in .357 rifles with plain base bullets to 1600 fps.
Again Lars Carnauba is a good lube, no complaints there, it's just too sticky for my use.

KYCaster
02-22-2010, 09:35 PM
1) Low Smoke.......Lots of luck. They all smoke to some degree...depending on many different factors, including atmospheric conditions. You'll just have to do some experimenting to find something that suits you.

2) Low tackiness after application......I use three different lubes and find them pretty much interchangeable for MOST applications. Thompson's Blue Angel is dry to the touch after it cools so I use for anything I process in bulk and want to handle as little as possible. It doesn't transfer to fingers, brass or boolit noses.

Lar's Carnauba Red is pretty soft at Summer temps here so sometimes sticks to another boolit and pulls out of the lube groove. It comes in hollow sticks so that's what I use in the Lyman 450.

Bullshop Speed Green is pretty sticky stuff and I find it hard to keep it off every thing within reach. (But I can't eat butter and molasses without getting it in my hair so YMMV) It doesn't take long to wipe the finished cartridge with a clean rag and it's superior cold weather performance makes the extra effort well worth it. Temps during deer season here can range from low teens to low eighties so BSSG is the only lube I'll use for hunting ammo. If low temp is a factor...call Dan.

Bottom line is.....we can give you some hints but we have no way of knowing what you consider acceptable. You'll just have to try some different lubes to find something you like.

Jerry

runfiverun
02-22-2010, 10:23 PM
i throw the red lubed ones in 5 gal buckets or boxes for storage, it takes a bit of heat.
for my rifles i like two sticks of 50-50 and one red with a bit of soft candle wax15%.

Colorado4wheel
02-22-2010, 11:11 PM
1) Low Smoke.......Lots of luck. They all smoke to some degree...depending on many different factors, including atmospheric conditions. You'll just have to do some experimenting to find something that suits you.

2) Low tackiness after application......I use three different lubes and find them pretty much interchangeable for MOST applications. Thompson's Blue Angel is dry to the touch after it cools so I use for anything I process in bulk and want to handle as little as possible. It doesn't transfer to fingers, brass or boolit noses.

Lar's Carnauba Red is pretty soft at Summer temps here so sometimes sticks to another boolit and pulls out of the lube groove. It comes in hollow sticks so that's what I use in the Lyman 450.

Bullshop Speed Green is pretty sticky stuff and I find it hard to keep it off every thing within reach. (But I can't eat butter and molasses without getting it in my hair so YMMV) It doesn't take long to wipe the finished cartridge with a clean rag and it's superior cold weather performance makes the extra effort well worth it. Temps during deer season here can range from low teens to low eighties so BSSG is the only lube I'll use for hunting ammo. If low temp is a factor...call Dan.

Bottom line is.....we can give you some hints but we have no way of knowing what you consider acceptable. You'll just have to try some different lubes to find something you like.

Jerry

Well, your the first to say that Carnuba Red is sticky. Maybe I should just try some of that Blue Angel. I realize they all smoke some but some smoke more then others it would seem. Really just looking for some "conventional wisdom" so I don't try a bunch of stuff that people have already tried. Save me a little trouble. The Magma Lube is not expensive. I will get them to throw some of that in with my machine order.

wiersy111
02-22-2010, 11:14 PM
Is Carnuba red available in cake form for pan lubing?

Lloyd Smale
02-23-2010, 08:47 AM
yes he will sell it in cake form. Ive used all of his lubes and have settled on corduba red for everything. Its less messy and works just as well as the other versions.

Recluse
02-23-2010, 11:00 AM
I won't use a lube that isn't sticky or tacky--and I worry more about accuracy and consistency when the boolit is launched than I do tackiness or smoke. Granted, I don't want an excess of either, but how the boolit feels or handles in my hands really isn't a factor I consider at all.

And most of all, I don't care if the boolit isn't "pretty" after it's been sized/lubed and loaded. I care how pretty the target groups look.

:coffee:

1Shirt
02-23-2010, 12:11 PM
I agree with Lloyd Smale! It works on everything I shoot and being of old school, if it works, I don't intend to fix it!
1Shirt!:coffeecom

cajun shooter
02-23-2010, 07:12 PM
The Carnuba Red has never given me a problem in the Louisiana heat and I have never seen it sticky except when I put the heat too high on the Star. It gives off almost no smoke with Clays powder in revolver rounds and is very clean shooting. The BAC is also hard to beat for general plinking loads.

Dale53
02-23-2010, 08:22 PM
I am a MORE than satisfied user of Carnauba Red. Lars is great to deal with, also.

I stack my bullets in boxes like little soldiers. I like the fact that Carnauba Red has a higher melting point than NRA 50/50 and is MUCH less tacky (not tacky in my use).

NOTE: I have an adjustable heater. I heat JUST enough to flow readily. If you heat it too much, it doesn't dry almost instantly (like it does if you just barely heat it). That makes a difference in how tacky it may or may not get. Actually, it's not really tacky at all, just if it is heated too much it gets soft (like most everything[smilie=1:).

The added incentive is that it's so inexpensive. Buy a large supply at once and you reduce the unit cost of shipping...

The accuracy in my handguns is exemplary! Better than most and as good as anything I have used before (and accuracy is the name of the game with me).

Dale53

Eutectic
02-23-2010, 08:38 PM
I won't use a lube that isn't sticky or tacky--and I worry more about accuracy and consistency when the boolit is launched than I do tackiness or smoke. Granted, I don't want an excess of either, but how the boolit feels or handles in my hands really isn't a factor I consider at all.

YES!... YES! ... YES! ... I have been thinking it but you posted it first!

Eutectic

870TC
02-23-2010, 08:51 PM
Ask White label lube for there Commercial Red (not listed on there website), its the least tacky, and works fine for bulk packing bullets and has very low smoke.