PDA

View Full Version : Cast Boolit seating die pictures

largom
02-22-2010, 01:43 PM
Pictures of my home made cast boolit seating dies. By using one Hornady seating die body and my own sliding sleeves and seating stems I have a set of custom seating dies for all of my cast boolits.

We all have had problems of trying to seat oversized cast boolits in regular dies. My homemade dies solves this problem AND gives me a precision seating setup.

Anyone with a lathe can easily make these since all you are making are the sliding sleeve and the seating stems. The sleeves are bored for the largest Dia. boolit you shoot in that caliber. Example = I bored my .308 Cal. sleeve to .313, next I bore the neck Dia. for the cartridge and the shoulder taper. The shoulder taper can be cut with a center drill or set the lathe tool to the approx. taper. Does not have to be exact. I cut mine with chambering reamers but this is not necessory. The seating stems are turned for a very close fit in the sleeve with the end bored out to be filled with epoxy for a perfect boolit nose profile fit.

http://i369.photobucket.com/albums/oo137/largom/Cast%20Bullet%20seating%20die%20and%20components/_CNR2026.jpg

http://i369.photobucket.com/albums/oo137/largom/Cast%20Bullet%20seating%20die%20and%20components/_CNR2028.jpg

garandsrus
02-23-2010, 12:41 AM
Great idea!

Why are there holes in some of the seating stems? I would guess that the material just had a hole in it when you started...

John

largom
02-24-2010, 09:20 AM
Great idea!

Why are there holes in some of the seating stems? I would guess that the material just had a hole in it when you started...

John

I found that drilling a hole thru the seating stem keeps the epoxy from squeezing out and allows the epoxy to settle around the boolit nose without voids caused by air pockets.

Larry

John Guedry
02-24-2010, 06:01 PM
Beautiful workmanship, something there's too little of nowdays.

Casting Timmy
09-09-2010, 08:24 AM
That looks really good. I was thinking abotu making my own like this here in a little while, can you give more details on the epoxy filling portion?

What epoxy do you recommend?
Removing the bullet from epoxy after cured?
Best way to keep the bullet aligned correctly while curing?

Thanks for any advice you can offer and good job on making those.
Tim

ph4570
09-09-2010, 11:03 AM
That is really slick and done with obvious craftsmanship.

Cherokee
09-09-2010, 08:21 PM
Great concept, great execution !!

largom
09-09-2010, 09:11 PM
That looks really good. I was thinking abotu making my own like this here in a little while, can you give more details on the epoxy filling portion?

What epoxy do you recommend?
Removing the bullet from epoxy after cured?
Best way to keep the bullet aligned correctly while curing?

Thanks for any advice you can offer and good job on making those.
Tim

Any two part epoxy will work. Brownell's bedding compound is good. To keep boolit from sticking to epoxy, coat boolit with past wax, STP, case lube, any good lubricant. The boolit is aligned with the seating stem IN THE DIE. Be sure to coat inside of die with lube in case epoxy should leak out past boolit. With the seating stem and the slidding sleeve out of the body place a resized case with boolit inside the sleeve. Take the seating stem with epoxy and slide into the sleeve until it makes contact with the boolit. A piece of tape or a rubber band across the seating stem top and the case head will hold together until epoxy cures.

Larry