PDA

View Full Version : Misrepresented Browning BPCR on GunBroker

texasmac
02-22-2010, 01:17 PM
Just thought I’d warn anyone interested in the Browning BPCR .40-65 listed on GunBroker (item # 158672048) as a “NIB” rifle that the rifle is not original. The are at least two issues, it sports a 30” FULL OCTAGON barrel when 100% of the rifles that left the factory had ½ round ½ octagon barrels, and it has been glass bedded. The rifle may be in excellent condition and a tack driver, but it is not an original Browning BPCR.

Wayne

leadman
02-22-2010, 11:02 PM
Are you sure they were 1/2 & 1/2? Been awhile now but a fellow that used to run a gunshop had a new one that if I remember right had a tapered octogan barrel in 40-65.

I had Cabela's deliver my Rolling Block to his shop and it is a 40-65. We were comparing our guns.

Could be wrong as it has been quite a few years.

texasmac
02-23-2010, 12:04 AM
Leadman,

With Browning’s help and many others, I literally wrote the book on the Browning BPCRs. Check out my web site at www.texas-mac.com. So I consider myself somewhat an expert on the BPCR models. I can assure you that every Browning BPCR model that left the factory had a ½ octagon ½ round Badger barrel. There were Traditional Hunter models and possibly other models that had full tapered octagon barrels, but these were for hunting. If you look close at the listing photos you’ll note the barrel appears to be a straight octagon and is not tapered, at least to any degree. Plus, none of the other models had color case receivers, lever and other features unique to the BPCR model. Also look at the large step down from the receiver to the barrel. Browning would have never designed a barrel profile without a more gradual step down to the barrel dimensions.

The rifle appears to have been a BPCR model with a replacement barrel. Even if the barrel had not been replaced, the fact that it is glass bedded means it’s no longer a NIB rifle.

Wayne

ANeat
02-23-2010, 12:26 AM
I would be curious to see if the barrel is rollmarked