PDA

View Full Version : remington model 8 in 35 remington???

500bfrman
06-19-2006, 02:40 PM
Does anyone know anything about this gun? From what I can see it is fairly old made from 1906-36. Anyway I see one at a local shop for $230 and was wanting to get it and cast for it. WAs wondering if you think I can use load data that is printed for 35 now adays? It seemed to be in good shape, but I'm no expert on autoloaders. Anything in particular I should look for? Thanks.

Denver
06-19-2006, 04:40 PM
Does anyone know anything about this gun? From what I can see it is fairly old made from 1906-36. Anyway I see one at a local shop for $230 and was wanting to get it and cast for it. WAs wondering if you think I can use load data that is printed for 35 now adays? It seemed to be in good shape, but I'm no expert on autoloaders. Anything in particular I should look for? Thanks.

Howdy 500bfrman

I have one that I bought recently in 35 Rem also. It's in real nice shape with most of the original finish and no extra holes for scope mounts etc. I however paid a good deal more than $230.00 for it, so if you can snag that one for that price, grab it. I see them going for $350 and up usually. The Model 8 is the fore runner to the Model 81 with the major difference being the pistol grip stock on the 81, and it was produced in 300 Sav in addition to the previous chamberings for the Mod 8.

I've been shooting cast in mine, using the 200gr RCBS FP boolit at around 1600-1750 fps with fair accuracy. Haven't tried HT boolits yet, so I may get some improvement using them. I've used Reloader 7 and Surp AA2520 so far. As long as the rifle is in good shape, there should be no problem with any factory equivilent load.

Good luck and welcome to the board.

Denver :Fire: :castmine:

500bfrman
06-19-2006, 04:44 PM
thanks for the info, reply, and the welcome. I have read in some blogs online that this seems to be a very cheap one. most seem to be paying 350-450. It looks to be in good condition, that's why I didn't know if there was something special to look for in an autoloader. Something that I might be overlooking that may be wrong with it. But it looked really nice.

Bret4207
06-20-2006, 08:02 AM
If you can get it for that price, grab it. See if you can put a box of factory through it to function test. Be advised that they have a bit of "push" to them. It's sort of a double thump due to the design. Some of them were pretty good in the grouping dept.

26Charlie
06-24-2006, 12:18 AM
I have a M81 in .35 Rem, and it works very well with cast bullets - the 200 gr. RCBS mould and a 250 gr. SAECO mould are the best, and Lyman 358315 200 gr. RN works well also. This is one cartridge where you can push jacketed bullet ballistics with cast bullets, and get good results. The M81 is a M8 updated with a better stock, and little else. You can't go wrong with this gun and cast bullets, unless you try to use one too fat in the nose (like 358009) so that it hangs up in the rifling when chambering a round. That double-shuffle recoil is unusual, and the stocks are such that you want to shoot it off your upper arm (the crescent buttplate M8) not your shoulder. The M81 has a different buttplate, but the stocks are somewhat short so you want to watch out you don't get our thumb back in your nose inadvertently.

Bucks Owin
06-24-2006, 11:50 AM
If you can get it for that price, grab it. See if you can put a box of factory through it to function test. Be advised that they have a bit of "push" to them. It's sort of a double thump due to the design. Some of them were pretty good in the grouping dept.

Yeah buddy! I'd sure jump on it at that price if it's in any kind of decent shape and I'm not even a Remington (or auto) fan. It'll certainly never be worth less!

FWIW,

Dennis

redneckdan
06-25-2006, 05:45 PM
They are good rifles. Kinda heavy. My dad has an 8 in 35 rem. Shooting hunting loads its just like a big .22 auto The action uses the long recoil operation system, much like the remington model 11 shotgun. I'd grab it if I were you.

Glen
07-03-2006, 01:16 PM
The Remington Model 8 in .35 Remington shoots cast bullets very well. The RCBS or Saeco 200 grainers with 38.0 grains of H335 will do 2100 fps and put 5 shots into an inch at 50 yards with iron sights. Light loads will short-stroke the action (in my gun anyway).