PDA

View Full Version : 32 Special

stocker
06-19-2006, 10:58 AM
About 8 months ago I got a yen for a 32 special to check out the slower twist and cast boolits. I started by ordering an RCBS 170 mould and sizing dies. Their literature states both are .321 which might not have been ideal but I was hoping there might be a fudge factor.

Then part way through the winter my son located a M64 and we arranged a trade. While waiting for the mould I stripped the rifle down, refinished the wood and gave it a thorough cleaning and recut the crown enough to cean it nicely. Wipe-out preceded by Ed's Red showed a bore in pretty good condition. No serious flaws to the bore and the rifle had every appearance of having been used hard but the bore had been cared for. By the way I had also used Shooters Choice copper solvent prior to the Wipe Out. I can't say enough good things about the Wipe Out. It did remove copper that the other product left in the bore. There was enough of it left after the Shooters Choice that I had reservations about the barrel and was happy to find the improvement. The bore slugged .321 and seemed constant through the length based on "feel".

The mould and dies had still not arrived but they finally showed up about 3 weeks ago. After cleaning I set to a quick casting session using W/W and 60/40 salvage solder. Boolits actually dropped from the mould at .3235 and the picture got a whole lot brighter. The blocks dropped boolits easily but I did have to clean up some burrs on the underside of the sprue plate prior to use.

The sizing die was marked .321 but after sizing and lubing the boolits they showed a nice round .323. Got lucky again. Lubed them with some modified Beartooth Bullets lube. When that's gone I'll be using Lars45's red.

I referred to RCBS's manual for cast bullets and selected the two loads using IMR 4895 for testing. I did not harden the boolits in any manner.

After allowing a week for the boolits to normalize I hied myself to the range. The 24" barrel on the M64 showed the lighter load to be about 1950fps and the heavier to be about 2010.

At the 100 yard berm groups with either load ranged from 1.75 to 2.25 off sand bags with factory bead and Lyman receiver sight. That is really all my eyes can hold with any similar sighted rifle so I'm pretty happy with the set up at this point and certainly have a nice hunter to use and I think the reputation of the 32 as cast boolit friendly is properly deserved.

bruce drake
06-19-2006, 12:13 PM
Lee's 8mm 170gr Roundnose works nicely in my Winchester 94 in 32 Special. Using a wheelweight alloy she drops at .323 at around 171grs with check attached.

It might be a mold you might want to try out.

Bruce

jballs918
06-19-2006, 12:52 PM
i have the same rcbs mold. i size mine at .323. i have a model 64 32ws. i can hit a bowling pin from 100 yards away with open sights. i honestly think that the 32 will be one of my best cb guns i will ever own. and considering its 71 years old i cant beat it

6pt-sika
06-19-2006, 02:35 PM
I've used that RCBS mould in my 32's and my 32-40 with good results . I cast straight WW's thou . Killed a deer with that bullet in the 32 Speciel 2 years ago . And used the same bullet in my 32-40 last year to take a small buck .
Since then I've gotten a Lyman #321297 which is about a 180 grain GC . But I've not had a chance to try it in any of the rifles yet .
I have three Marlin's in the 32 Speciel caliber ; a model 1893(vintage 1910) , a model 1936(vintage 1937) and a 336SC (vintage 1952) .
Accuracy wise I've had just as good if not better results then I've had with variouse Marlin 30-30's I have .

:castmine:

stocker
06-19-2006, 03:14 PM
Forgot to mention boolit weight. With lube and check they weigh 182-183 and I think I'll be pretty happy with that.