PDA

View Full Version : Two round ball .45 Colt/.454 Casull load?

Jumbopanda
02-22-2010, 01:43 AM
Has anyone ever loaded a revolver cartridge with multiple round balls? I saw a two-ball .45 Colt load here:

http://www.castpics.net/memberarticl...nal%20edit.htm

I wanted to do one for my .454 Super Redhawk using Bullseye or perhaps Power Pistol powder and was wondering if anyone had any ideas.

ddixie884
02-22-2010, 02:08 AM
Years ago, I loaded double round ball loads in .45 Colt. I had a Star sizer lubricater, and was casting Round balls. I cast .457 RBs for a Ruger BP from WW then loaded them 2 at a time in the Star LS, with the pump set to lube between them. Touching one another, and stuck together with Alox/beeswax, and loaded in a .45 colt case, and crimped over the ogive of the front ball over 8grs of Unique. These seemed to group approx 8in verticaly at 50 yards, and made a fast double tap you could barely hear. These RBs weighed over 150gr each, and we thought they would have a good bit of stopping power.

yondering
02-22-2010, 03:30 PM
I've done this for my Ruger Blackhawk. I used a heavy crimp into the middle of the top ball. Tumble lube the balls in Alox to get rid of the leading. (this is actually the only time I like using LLA).
Bullseye will work well; I got best grouping by loading to ~600 fps, your gun may be different. At that velocity, it's a great load for rabbits; it literally knocks them over, better than a faster load would, and doesn't do a lot of damage to the meat.

A similar load to try is 3 short wadcutters of ~100gr each. I've made these by cutting the back off of longer 45 Colt bullets on the bandsaw while spinning the bullet in a cordless drill. We discussed a group buy for these a while back, but it never went anywhere, mostly because of Lee's long wait time for group buy molds.

Bucks Owin
02-22-2010, 04:14 PM
Haven't tried .45 Colt duplex loads, but played with 2 short lil' 82 gr WC's in a .357 case with interesting results. As mentioned, faster didn't seem better, think I got best results around 850 fps as I recall....I had it in mind they might be OK as a "nightstand" round, but the energy would be too puny I think. They generally printed about 3-4" apart at 50' so maybe one could "kill two birds" with one round! :kidding: