PDA

View Full Version : Which primer in 9mm. . . Federals, CCI or Rem?

awaveritt
02-22-2010, 12:34 AM
I have 1000 Federal SPP's and 1500 CCI SPP's and 500 Remington 1 1/2 SPP's.

This will be my first experience with Federals, so My question is:

Is one brand any better suited than the other for 9mm? I've heard Federal primers are a bit softer so would they be better or worse in the 9mm loads? I'm mainly concerned about maintaining good feeding and cycling in the semi auto (CZ-75B). I'm thinking the brand Probably won't matter in the 38 revolver. I also will be loading some 357 j-words with 2400 for the Marlin carbine. So, all you primer experts out there, how would you divvy up my primer stock among these three calibers?

38spl revolver using Bullseye and HP 38
357 mag Marlin using Alliant 2400
9mm CZ75B semi auto using Bullseye and HP 38

Houndog
02-22-2010, 07:48 AM
That's sort of like asking which is better a Chevy, Dodge, or a Toyota. All the primer brands listed are good and a good load can be built around any of them. I know this probably isn't what you wanted to hear, but the truth is there's no one best primer, or powder, or boolet for any application. Guns work sort of like we do. What works for me may not suit you at all and vise versa. Experimentation is the only way to find the "best" loading components for a given application and to me at least, that's half the fun of getting there.

Lloyd Smale
02-22-2010, 07:48 AM
any handload in a hardgun that possibly is going to be used to protect my family is loaded with federal primers. I know when the firing pin hits them there going to go off even if the pin is crudded up a bit or the spring is getting on the weak side. if i loading for plinking or competition i try them all and use the most accurate one.

awaveritt
02-22-2010, 12:44 PM
any handload in a hardgun that possibly is going to be used to protect my family is loaded with federal primers.

Lloyd: this is really what I was wanting to know. My question was probably overly complicated. It's just that I had never used Federals and was looking for some favorable testimony.

Thanks.

sargenv
02-22-2010, 02:20 PM
Basically, if you have em, they are all good to go.. most people around here can't get any of the above and are forced to use Wolf's.. Federals tend to be useful for finicky guns with reduced trigger weights.. otherwise CCI's or Remmy's are fine too. I tend to reserve my Federals for my revolvers with trigger jobs and use Remington, Win's, or CCI for everything else. When I can't get any of the rest of them, I'll likely also switch to Wolf's.. but I hope they resupply before that happens.

WHITETAIL
02-28-2010, 09:28 AM
The lyman book recomends Winchesters for the 9mm.:shock: