PDA

View Full Version : RCBS Pro Melt second

jsizemore
02-21-2010, 10:34 PM
I was surfing for a Pro Melt a couple weeks ago, and found RCBS's customer service number. Toll-free. What the heck. 18th in line. Oh heck but it's raining and I can't shoot, smelt or cast. I finally talk to somebody after 20 minutes. It must be raining all over. I ask and he says they have one Pro Melt second left but he has to check. 5 minutes later he calls me back and tells me that he has it and the price is ......$209. Do I want it? Do bears do in the woods? RCBS wanted some extra for shipping and they collect my local state taxes, so the total comes to a little over $242. I get it about a week later and I can't find the reason for it being a second except for the missing socket head screws that hold the valve mechanism brackets to the pot rim. $.83 at Home Depot has that problem fixed. I fired that rascal up Sat. and load it up according to the instructions. That pot was taking forever to melt lead so I stick my thermometer in there and find out the 650deg setting is actually at 575deg . When I set the temp to just below 750deg I end up with a very stable pot of melted lead at 670deg which is the temp I want to try my BC 668 mold at to see if I can get get the right bullet dia. using straight WW. It worked and I don't have frosty boolits. Don't know if it makes a difference but they sure look pretty. About like cbrick's avatar. Them guys at RCBS are going to hate me on Monday.

340six
02-22-2010, 05:29 PM
Them guys at RCBS are going to hate me on Monday.

why?
FYI I called them last week few times, and they said they had no blems/seconds that one must have just goten back to them

jsizemore
02-22-2010, 08:43 PM
Them guys at RCBS are going to hate me on Monday.

why?

Pro Melt for $209! Numerous calls!

I talked to them a week ago Thursday. Like I said, it was the last one they had in stock. It said on the box sticker "RCBS 'Seconds' are used trade show demo units, refurbished returns or have cosmetic manufacturing blemishes". So it could be a unit from the Shot Show. The NRA convention is going to be in May, so there might be one available after that as a 'Second'.