PDA

View Full Version : Marlin mod 94 44/40 need info (old gun)

357maximum
06-18-2006, 10:53 PM
Today I bought an old marlin model 94 in 44-40 and I have a few questions.

The gun has an odd cutout on the right hand side of the forearm about 2 inches long and 1/4 inch wide.. what was that for? I was thinking some kind of scabbord clip, it looks alot like the cutout on a 30 carbines barrel band retainer thingy attachment area that is in their forearm.

It also has a weird scallopped line running lengthwise dead center the length of the underside of the forearm about 1/4 inch wide, what is that for, never seen it before.

The steel wrapover butt plate has U.S on it, was this a military gun?

The gun looks to have been reblued, but unsure, and has a dovetail filled in at the muzzle where the mag would normally attach, and it only has a half to 3/4 magazine. Has it been altered?

Has a real neat buckhorn type flip up rear sight that looks like it belongs, and the reciever has two holes tapped in the top of it, whith blind screws installed.

Overall it is great condition the bore is great looking, but it may have been reblued(stamping of pat dates is awfully light) and at one point the stock has has some beautiful TLC on the finish.

That is all I know, thus far.....serial is #4386**

I have never handloaded for this cartridge and know very little about it or the gun so any data, history, suggestions for projectiles and the such would be appreciated..I will have to get brass also, know a good place?..

alot of questions I realize, but any help will be apreciated, the only thing I really know about this marlin is that I would cease to breathe if I did not have it.

Michael

6pt-sika
06-18-2006, 11:00 PM
Today I bought an old marlin model 94 in 44-40
Has a real neat buckhorn type flip up rear sight that looks like it belongs, and the reciever has two holes tapped in the top of it, whith blind screws installed.

alot of questions I realize, but any help will be apreciated, the only thing I really know about this marlin is that I would cease to breathe if I did not have it.

Michael

Congrats one the new rifle :drinks:

The gun was made after 1906 and I would say about 1914 -1918 .

And as far as the breathing problem is concerned ; it only gets worse [smilie=1:

woody1
06-18-2006, 11:31 PM
Today I bought an old marlin model 94 in 44-40 and I have a few questions.

The gun has an odd cutout on the right hand side of the forearm about 2 inches long and 1/4 inch wide.. what was that for? I was thinking some kind of scabbord clip, it looks alot like the cutout on a 30 carbines barrel band retainer thingy attachment area that is in their forearm.

It also has a weird scallopped line running lengthwise dead center the length of the underside of the forearm about 1/4 inch wide, what is that for, never seen it before.

The steel wrapover butt plate has U.S on it, was this a military gun?

The gun looks to have been reblued, but unsure, and has a dovetail filled in at the muzzle where the mag would normally attach, and it only has a half to 3/4 magazine. Has it been altered?

Overall it is great condition the bore is great looking, but it may have been reblued(stamping of pat dates is awfully light) and at one point the stock has has some beautiful TLC on the finish.

I have never handloaded for this cartridge and know very little about it or the gun so any data, history, suggestions for projectiles and the such would be appreciated..I will have to get brass also, know a good place?..

Michael
I'd suggest you go over to the Marlin owner forum and hit Marlin Collectors with your questions. They'll surely have answers.
http://www.marlinowners.com/board/index.php
As far as shooting it, slug the bore. My original '94 Marlin has a pretty small bore but I shoot about all I can chamber which is almost .430 depending on brass. You'll find that the standard Lyman boolits (42798 and 429434)cannot be crimped to be absolutely reliable at not telescoping in the magazine without being overlength. If you plan to load BP, no problem. I also have the RCBS 44x200 I think it is which will properly crimp in the crimp groove. If you want to try any of these, let me know. Regards, Woody

357maximum
06-19-2006, 12:32 AM
woody

I took your advise, and I joine/posted there too. I still would like any info from you lead guys though. You all proably have more lead slingin experience, and I am quite content here.

I really would like to know if it has had the magtube shortened, and what is going on with the forearm cuts, the more i handle it it the more I believe the inlt cut on the side of the forearm to be a barrell band attatchment of some sort, but it looks original, and I don't know whether marlin did that or not. And the U.S stamping on the top of the buttplate really piques my interest...

Michael

Marlin Junky
06-19-2006, 03:34 AM
Michael,

The tapped holes on top of your gun's receiver if spaced correctly (w/o "Marlin Safety") indicate a manufacture date after 1903 which also agrees with your serial number. Does it say Marlin Firearms Company or Corporation on the barrel? I have a feeling the gun is a parts gun because it sounds like part early Musket and part late whatever. It doesn't have a case colored receiver, does it? Does it have any case coloring on it (e.g., hammer or lever)? Whatever it is, it sounds interesting. That cut-out in the forend could have been for a bayonet lug. For about 10 years around the turn of the 20th Century, Marlin made Muskets that were fitted for British sword bayonets.

MJ

357maximum
06-19-2006, 04:43 AM
The hammer has a trace of case on it, I think I will look later, wife is sleeping next to its current location. I wondered if the dovetail plug could be for bayonet. this gun has several things going on with it that scream....MILITARY

it has a slow twist maybe like 30 or more

Been all over the net looking and still no answers that are definate, even if it is a frankenrifle I like it , and I have only put 1 round through it. (all I had, stole it from odd cartridge collection cigar box). It kinda came to me, and I just had to adopt it..My ol man has the big marlin book so I will have to go get that from him.

Michael

357maximum
06-20-2006, 09:35 PM
The gun is in fact a frankenrifle, consensus is it is an older custom length barrelled gun that has been cut down. the forearm was made out of old 30 carbine furniture. It is marked corporation, with a bunch of patent dates.. The only mystery remaining is the U.S stamped on the apparent original buttplate. I gotta get time to phone marlin.. The tapped holes on the reciever(2) are for the Hepburn reciever sight..

Not sure what I am gonna do to her yet, but I am looking for a forearm for sure...I think my assumption it was a reblue was wrong, I have seen several others that the barrel info is just as light, and they are 1 owner guns in a good ol boys collection. I wish I could show you what he has, I got xcited when I saw "some" of them..For now I am just gonna do what she was designed to do, ..shoot the thing..

Thanks

Michael