PDA

View Full Version : Re working lubes

bpost1958
02-21-2010, 07:25 PM
I have some old HARD bullet lube that I would like to use if possible. If I melt it what do I need to add to it making the consistency like 50-50 Alox Beeswax. I do not want to use a heater on my sizer.

Edubya
02-21-2010, 09:07 PM
You could probably use vaseline to thin it out. As far as that goes, you could use some lithium grease or even castor oil.
What are you afraid of? Success? Just do it and tell us about your wonderful success.
EW

runfiverun
02-21-2010, 09:55 PM
a bit more info would be appreciated.
is it a beeswax based lube? you just want it softer? or do you want to change it's characteristics.
some white lith grease and petroleum jelly should do the trick in either case.
melt what you have and add a table spoon of each to the melt up to a lb.
let it cool and feel the results.
if it's just one stick just mash it in your hands and add a bit of petroleum jelly.

Shiloh
02-22-2010, 07:02 AM
Seems like mineral oil is a component of some home brew lubes. A possibility maybe??

wiljen
02-22-2010, 07:54 AM
Olive oil or Murphy's oil soap also work.

buck1
02-22-2010, 10:15 AM
lithium grease should soften it up and most likely make it a better lube and increase the bulk of it to give you more lube too. It will take some mixing but I bet it will be worth it.... Buck

bpost1958
02-22-2010, 11:29 AM
I think it is a rooster type lube, some is red some is black, I have probably 10 pounds of it. It is rock hard and waxy..

Would I be wrong in saying just about anything, vaseline, murphy's soap, or grease will make it more pliable and pump through a sizer?

357maximum
02-22-2010, 01:04 PM
Vaseline will do what you seek to do and is available just about anywhere. Start slow with a known amount of the lube and record what you added. Good records will make your efforts repeatable when you decide you are happy...fix the whole lot......to keep the results consistent.

I have "fixed" alot of too hard commercial/homemade lubes with nothing more than the additon of simple vaseline. Vaseline is mineral oil and microwax that has not been seperated yet. Both the oil and the micro content in the vaseline help make a good lube.........and vaseline is cheap.

Adding simple lithium grease would fix it also, but seeing as you do not know the composition of the exisiting lube..................the heat needed to melt the lithium into the lube could be detrimental...not real likely to hurt the lube...but the possibility does exist.

Murphy's oil soap based lubes WILL dry out in time and are best suited to short term Blackpowder lubes. If you add murphy's make sure you have alot of room in your pan....it likes to "volcano" when added to melted hot lube...............it can/will make a mess if you do not have enough room in your pan.

I would use the vaseline myself.

bpost1958
02-22-2010, 04:24 PM
Thank you! Vaseline it will be, notes will be taken and results posted.