PDA

View Full Version : Reversing batteries for storage

crabo
02-21-2010, 07:24 PM
Does anyone know if it harms batteries or equipment if you reverse polarity in batteries for storage? I am thinking about cameras or flashlights? Can I simply reverse a battery to keep it from discharging or am I opening myself up for problems? Does this question make any sense?

bohokii
02-21-2010, 07:48 PM
sounds crazy to me never heard about reversing polarity just dissconnect as much as possible so teh white fuzz doesnt appear

montana_charlie
02-21-2010, 07:50 PM
As long as the power switch is open, the battery is (supposed to be) isolated from the circuitry. Therefore, reversing a battery should not enable it to stay in better condition.

However, if there is any path for current to flow with the device turned off, a battery can still discharge through solid state components (though more slowly) even if it's polarity is reversed.

Reversing a batteries in a flashlight has no effect, whatsoever, unless it is one with LED 'bulbs'.
In that case, the same thing applies as above.

If you want to assure that a battery remains isolated from the circuitry, you can place a piece of paper between the battery and it's mating contact.

CM

mooman76
02-21-2010, 07:57 PM
Piece of tape maybe over the battery connection.

Gee_Wizz01
02-21-2010, 08:24 PM
Reversing the batteries is not a good idea, some electronics devices can be damaged by reverse polarity (it's not as common as it once was, but its not worth the risk). If you are not using a device, it is best to just remove the batteries and store them in a zip lock near the device. This will also save you the heartache of an item damaged by leaking batteries.

G

Gee_Wizz01
02-21-2010, 08:24 PM
Reversing the batteries is not a good idea, some electronics devices can be damaged by reverse polarity (it's not as common as it once was, but its not worth the risk). If you are not using a device, it is best to just remove the batteries and store them in a zip lock near the device. This will also save you the heartache of an item damaged by leaking batteries.

G

anachronism
02-21-2010, 08:28 PM
I don't see what could be gained from this. The batteries could still corrode & damage the device. The only truly safe thing to do is remove them entirely. Plus, you're still completing a circuit, it's just backwards. I always remove my batteries before storing anything, and keep the batteries, plus spares with the device anyway.

lylejb
02-21-2010, 08:30 PM
Won't help the battery, but may damage electronics, depending on the device.

I see no up side, and a great big down side....if the engineers didn't think to design reverse polarity protection into your camera.

If I was worried about it, I would take the battery out.

crabo
02-21-2010, 10:33 PM
Thanks, I won't do it. I may make a little card like some of the new flash lights have in them.

edsmith
02-21-2010, 11:19 PM
put the batteries in the refrigator,they will last longer than at room temp.

Duckiller
02-22-2010, 12:22 AM
When transporting flashlights in suitcases I reverse a battery so it won't discharge when a baggage handler unknowingly turns it on. I get to my destination with fully charged batteries and flashlight and batteries in the same place.

DLCTEX
02-22-2010, 10:55 AM
Do you mean you reverse one battery in a series of two or more? That would put the battery in series opposed to the others. Know what happens to a car battery when booster cables are hooked up with reverse polarity? If you haven't experienced it, you don't want to. Put a cardboard or plastic disc between batteries or tape the + terminal, but I would not ever reverse a battery or batteries.

MN91311
02-22-2010, 01:38 PM
Reversing every other battery would give zero power in the circuit overall. Like having no batteries at all.

This is entirely different than reversing all the batteries.

bohokii
02-22-2010, 02:46 PM
oh i'm starting to get it

on most electronics if you put in a aa backwards it wont make contact since there is often a little groove for the button to sit in

and yes if you have a 2 cell flashlight one in backwards wont use up the life of either if turned on

Duckiller
02-22-2010, 03:04 PM
Don't reverse all batteries or you will create a new circuit. I reverse one in a two cell and every other battery in a multi-cell device. It just occurred to me that reversing only one battery in a multi -cell device would probably break the circuit and is all that is needed.