PDA

View Full Version : Best Lube Sizer for BPCR Bullets

Hip's Ax
02-21-2010, 06:06 PM
Greetings, I'm seriously considering buying a dedicated lube sizer for my Black Powder Cartridge Target Rifle boolits. My mentor has been making my ammo for me while I got set up for black powder reloading. I'm very close to having everything and I figure rather than press my two Lyman lube sizers into duty for my black powder needs that I'd buy another unit and leave it set up rather than switch back and forth.

I will be lube sizing Hoch Creedmore 550 grain and Saeco 745 525 grain boolits only with modified Emmerts lube or something very similar.

My mentor uses a Saeco lube sizer and has no complaints but he has never used any other brand.

Is a Star, Saeco, RCBS or Lyman lube sizer best for fairly low volume hyper accurate needs? Is there another machine out there that is better?

Thanks!

Kenny Wasserburger
02-21-2010, 06:48 PM
I use the Saeco,

for my GG bullets.

KW
The Lunger

e15cap
02-21-2010, 06:54 PM
Why not just pan lube. A lot cheaper.

Captain*Kirk
02-21-2010, 07:20 PM
Here's one answer-take it for what it's worth...
I'm in the same position you are; about to take the plunge, but haven't done so....yet. I've done a lot of research on the topic and drew my own conclusions; that the RCBS edges out the Lyman...just barely so......in my book. Why?
1) Lyman has complaints of leaks when hot-lubing
2) Handle on Lyman is *supposed to be* less ergonomically comfortable. This is second party info as I've never used it.
3) RCBS is on sale at MidwayUSA until the 28th...save $16.00, which will buy you a top punch, maybe?
4) All Lyman and RCBS top punches are interchangable with each other (will fit eac other's sizers)
5) RCBS has lifetime warranty on all their products...no questions asked.
6) Last, but not least...everything I own (centerfire rifle) is RCBS. That's just a personal preference, you understand.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=172702

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=458891

montana_charlie
02-21-2010, 08:15 PM
If you have been using Lyman presses...and liking them...you will like a Lyman just as much for BPCR work.
If you have been wanting to try a different brand of press, now is your chance.

I don't think any of us are going to tell you something you didn't already know...
CM

Don McDowell
02-21-2010, 09:12 PM
I have an old Lyman 45 that works just fine. Also have an old Herters, that's the same as the Saeco, but the dies for it cost more.
You can also pan lube, and use the Lee push thru sizers.
Some folks really swear by the star lubesizer as it pushes thru nose first like the lee, but lubes as well, no nose punches to buy.
Lots of ways to get it done, but you're the only one that can decide "best" in this instance.

Hip's Ax
02-22-2010, 10:22 AM
Thanks for your time folks. :)

I guess I thought I was looking for superior alignment and consistency when all along I was just looking for an excuse to buy a new lube sizer. I think I will buy a new one. :lol:

Thanks again. ;-)

Lead pot
02-22-2010, 10:35 AM
In my opinion the Star Lube sizer is tops. It is a push through system.
Even as good as it is mine is laying under the bench for lack of use because of good moulds and pan lubing.

Kurt

runnin lead
02-26-2010, 08:50 PM
I have a newer RCBS & an 80's Lyman, I use the Lyman for the BP stuff. The Lyman does leak a little but I make my own lube & melt & pour it in to fill as I have not yet played around with making hollow stick moulds & the newer RCBS (dont know abour older model ) the threaded part for squeezing the lube out comes out when you remove the top & the lyman remains inside & I just pour the lube around it .
I also use the Lyman & my homemade lube for most everythhing other than .308 & for that I use the RCBS & LBT blue soft.

texasmac
02-27-2010, 10:44 AM
Based on my own research, if price is not an issue, I'd rate the 4 different suppliers in the following order:
1 Star
2 SAECO
3 RCBS
4 Lyman

But, as noted, there are also other considerations. For one Star and SAECO lubrisizers require you to purchase unique dies while the RCBS & Lyman dies are interchangeable.

Also, if you ever plan on also using the unit for lubing smokeless ammo with hard lube you'll probably be adding a heater. In that case, with the possible exception of the Star, they all will leak some, even the SAECO. And a final consideration, if you ever plan on using gas checks, I could be wrong, but don't believe the Star will install gas checks. I know the SAECO does and believe the RCBS & Lyman do also.

You have probably figured out from my comments that I use a SAECO. Actually I've owned two SAECO lubrisizers at one time. Now, preferring to pan lube BPCR bullets, I only use the SAECO for smokeless hard cast bullet lubing.

One final comment to keep in mind, a lubrisizer will work soften lube. For example, if using SPG lube, it will be a little softer and melt easier on a hot day if the bullets were lubed with a lubrisizer rather than pan lubed, which one of the reasons I now prefer to pan lube.

Wayne

Lead pot
02-27-2010, 11:01 AM
You can seat gas checks with the Star.

mooman76
02-27-2010, 11:09 AM
If you aren't going to use it that much anyway you could take one of your Lymans and convert it over to BP use and get you an upgrade for your regular guns.

texasmac
02-27-2010, 11:16 AM
Lead Pot,

Thanks. I knew that the Star would crimp a preinstalled gas check in place and lube gas check bullets, but did not know that the Star could be used to install a gas check.

In other words, some gas check have to be forced on the base prior to running the bullet through the sizing/lubing die, which crimps the gas check in place and also lubes the bullet. I was not aware that the Star was set up to force a gas check on to the bullet base.

Wayne

Doc Highwall
02-27-2010, 11:30 AM
I sold my Lyman and RCBS sizers and now I have three SAECO's. I like the alingment and the way the handle is attached on the SAECO. Funny thing is it is the old Ideal design on the linkage.

Southern Son
02-28-2010, 12:54 AM
A week ago I ordered the SAECO from BACO. I want to use it to lube my BPCR boolits as well as boolits for my .44 Marlin and .310Cadet. I am getting a bit sick of pan lubing and the problems that go along with it (my wife going off about me melting lube in the oven being the major one).

Dale53
02-28-2010, 01:28 AM
I have all three sizers, Star, RCBS, and Lyman.

When it comes to pistol and revolver bullets, the Star has it all over the other two - simply no contest. It is twice or three times faster. Plus, when you are doing soft bullets, nose first sizing does not damage bullets (which base first sizers can with soft bullets).

BPCR bullets are another matter. Star dies are not long enough to lube all grooves in most heavy bullets for the .40 and .45 Calibers. You must size them one way to do some of the grooves, then reverse them to do the others (nose first, then base first). This was not satisfactory for me (want to buy a Star .40 caliber die?:confused:).

I have sized them satisfactorily with both the RCBS and Lyman lubers. The RCBS is marginally better (generally better alignment and seem more precision made).

The most satisfactory way for me has been to pan lube the bullets (I use several 9" cake pans and do hundreds at a time) then, if they need sized, I use a Lee push through sizer. It is quick, precise, sizes nose first so no bullet damage, and is relatively inexpensive. I have been very happy with this until I had to quit BPCR Silhouette because of vision problems.

FWIW
Dale53

Lead pot
02-28-2010, 02:43 AM
Tex.

The instructions that came with my Star said to seat a gas check, place a coin or a knock out slug on top of the die seat the gas check. But this would be a problem if the bullet is longer then 1"
I never used any gas checks so I cant say how good this would work.

Kurt

Don McDowell
02-28-2010, 10:06 AM
If a person absolutely has to use a gas check the lee pushthru sizers work real well for that.

Old Caster
02-28-2010, 09:17 PM
I bought a new Lyman and was disappointed with the slop where the ram slid in the cast iron sleeve but I did like the design. I drilled it out bigger and made a bronze sleeve for it that was a bit longer. In order to make it perfectly centered, I made a jig that would fit very snugly in a 45 caliber die at the bottom and I made the top the same size as the stock ram. The outside of the bronze sleeve was made a bit smaller than the hole I drilled so there would be room for the JB Weld I glued it in with. The inside was an exact fit for the stock ram. I put slots in the bronze sleeve on the top to miss the bolts. The length of the bronze is about 2.1 inches and it is about .125 thick. I installed the small end of the jig into the 45 die and then slid the bronze sleeve on the large end with JB Weld as the filler and let it dry and automatically center. I trust it more than my star now and use it for my BPCR bullets. I can still install a 1.37 inch long .40 caliber bullet in the machine. You can’t let the bronze sleeve down too far or the dies won’t come out. I make my own top punches also because the part that fits into the hole that holds the top punch must be an exact fit because the set screw will move it back when it is tightened if there is any play at all. I make them press fit and take them out with a pliers.